spongy (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
this is not directly linked to m/homes but Ive got a bee in my bonnet. I bought a small heater from B&Q about 3 months ago to use in my mh. Took it out of the box today as it is starting to get a bit colder, like most of the crap from B&Q it didnt work. I could'nt find my reciept but as it had B&Q written all over the box I didn't think there would be a problem when I took it back. WRONG It would appear unless you have a receipt even if only for 1 day they will not accept any returns. Will I buy from this awfull company again ?

spongy

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
You have to see their point of view though. Shoplifter pinches something and takes it back for a full refund. Cheeky but it happens.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I recently bought some christmas lights from B&Q Norwich , didn't like them when I got home, lost receipt but they issued a credit note to spend in store.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
As there is no legal obligation to provide a receipt, correct me if I'm wrong, I can't see how they can refuse to replace it or refund you even without a receipt. Their policies stink, been caught out before with this company over low energy bulbs.

Now they have those awful self service tills spreading like wildfire across the supermarkets.

I only shop there as a last resort. :Angry:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I would never have the courage to ask a retailer to take anything back without a receipt. Without one how can they know how long you have had the item for? How can they tell if you are the rightful owner?

JJ

Last edited:

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Go to another B&Q, SMILE, CREEP and tell them you do NOT want your money back but would be happy with a 'credit note' and they may well help you. Also, LIE, do not tell tyem you purchased it X time back, say to them 'My wife bought this a in November and i do not have the reciept'

Please exuse the suggestion of dishonesty, but with B&Q you need to sometimes xx

Adge

You could also use your bank statement........if you prove you purchase something, they cant refuse for 12 months (I actually think it is longer but 12 months is a safe time to state) when the product is faulty.

Last edited:

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
As there is no legal obligation to provide a receipt, :Angry:

You are 100% correct, but they can ask you to prove when you purchased and that can be done by using your bank or credit card statement. I know it does not show 'what' you purchased, but I do know that you are correct.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
With styles changing so fast it is usually obvious how old an appliance is. So it really shouldn't be an issue as most items should be covered by a one year warranty. Legally you are not obliged to provide a receipt but I believe they would then only be obliged to offer a replacement or a credit note .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome spongy,

you dont need a reciept to return damaged goods.....just some form of proof of purchase, which they will have on their computerised sales log.

if you paid by plastic then the relevent bank statement is all you need.

CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT 1987

<H3>Your statutory rights

One of your principle statutory rights is the expectation that the item will be of reasonable quality. This also includes fitness for purpose specified, appearance and finish, freedom from minor blemishes, safety and durability. The failure of the product to meet any one of these criteria is a breach in your statutory rights, enabling you to go back to the retailer, even after some months of use.

</H3>Proof of purchase?

Shops will often tell you they will only give a refund on production of proof of purchase. Don’t be mislead into thinking this must be a till receipt. It can be a bank or credit card statement, although you may run into difficulties if it is for a different amount than that of the item you are trying to return.
If the item is damaged, the shop cannot say they will only refund on the basis of a till receipt. However you must have proof of purchase of some kind – particularly if it was bought recently and you want to show that the damage wasn’t caused by continued use or wear and tear over time.

hope this helps

Last edited:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
One of our local trading standards officers who does a regular slot on radio oxford reckons that you actually have statutary rights for a total of 6 years on most things regardless of any guarantee for a shorter period.

I have a bubble gum that has lost its flavour after only five years, and wont blow bubbles any more, going back tomorrow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Proof of purchase is a legal requirement and that's how it should be this can be in the form of a till receipt or a bank statement, the assistant is quite right to request proof of purschase.

You have a short period of time usually 30 days to return any goods that are faulty or not fit for use purchace. no quibble money back.

After this period they are obliged to repair the item

To get your money back you must give the company every opportunity to repair/replace the item.

If the above is not met then you can demand a full refund.

I know been there done that with a pc.

To be honest i've always found B&Q to be very helpful when returning items , no quibble.

Last edited by a moderator:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Proof of purchase is a legal requirement and that's how it should be this can be in the form of a till receipt or a bank statement.

You have a short period of time usually 30 days to return any goods that are faulty or not fit for use purchace. no quibble money back.

After this period they are obliged to repair the item

To get your money back you must give the company every opportunity to repair/replace the item.

If the above is not met then you can demand a full refund.

I know been there done that with a pc.

the only exception to that is stores such as B+Q will just replace, on the spot, anyway even though there is no obligation to.
they cant be bothered with repairs unless its a very expensive item and you've had it a while.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Difficult to provide proof of purchase if you paid by cash and have no receipt. Wonder how you stand there?

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Difficult to provide proof of purchase if you paid by cash and have no receipt. Wonder how you stand there?

Sorry but you have no leg to stand on simple as that. however if the checkout operator can verify you coming in and buying the product or you can prove you bought it from there otherwise. they may refund ;but legally they don't have to.

Checkout operators are bound by the POP rules on returns, discretion on this is up the the manager.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
the only exception to that is stores such as B+Q will just replace, on the spot, anyway even though there is no obligation to.
they cant be bothered with repairs unless its a very expensive item and you've had it a while.

Yes if its still under guarantee and you have a receipt they may very well do that in that case they will have fulfilled there legal obligation bypassing repair and refund.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Two options
Buy another one, return the faulty one and get it replaced
take the other one back the following day saying you were not happy and want your dosh back

or

Fix the one you have.. might sound odd but it is new and the chances are very very high it will be a simple thing like a wire come off or a duff fuse :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back