Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
we already have one of these fitted, really glad about it now we have a double cab instead of a kingcab

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
We've also looked at these online but not found a UK supplier.

We also wondered how good they were. Nice to have some feedback from chatter. :thumb:

Al

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Looks a useful bit of kit Les my first experiences in July /August resulted in cab-strike and this adaptor would have helped. As a really (!!?) sympathetic driver you would think it impossible but with a GRP. type body there is no sound --- my Nissan Navara has wrinkles where i have "hit" the 5ver Good luck its due soon isn't it? Al

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
I have found this for anyone who wants a further 10" between cab and trailer.

Link Removed
:thumb:

Having looked at this I would think that it must put a lot more strain on the bolts securing it to the goose-neck of the trailer.

Surely these trailers were designed to have the king pin fitted directly under the mounting plate! I wonder what the insurance implications would be in the event that, god forbid, this extender should rip away???

Regards Pat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You can get them in the states, They use them overthere with their short (6' -8') bed pickups. Niche have them on their units because of our very very short load bed area, even my origional 5ver (1999) had one fitted.

When niche bring units in they make sure that everything is done to be legal in the uk, proper handbrake fitted, electrics converted and the extension pin box

Have you tried asking Calder to get one for you? GIBLA53

Last edited:

agilityeye

Free Member
Dec 8, 2009
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8 years
Having looked at this I would think that it must put a lot more strain on the bolts securing it to the goose-neck of the trailer.

Surely these trailers were designed to have the king pin fitted directly under the mounting plate! I wonder what the insurance implications would be in the event that, god forbid, this extender should rip away???

Regards Pat

I would agree.
The insurance implications would be interesting.
Dont think the extender would come off but the strain it is putting on other areas would be worrying
Ian

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The main thing to worry about with a 5ver is not about the kingpin and extension pin but wether its built on a lippert frame, they were known for bad joins,spot welding instead of a seam and weak frames with the bedroom area parting from the main frame.

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
The main thing to worry about with a 5ver is not about the kingpin and extension pin but wether its built on a lippert frame, they were known for bad joins,spot welding instead of a seam and weak frames with the bedroom area parting from the main frame.

Don't know about yours Chatter but the pin box extension on our Sun Valley from Niche is different from the one Les posted a link to,on ours the whole pin box is extended not just clamped to the original pin.
Link Removed

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Just had an email from Linda at stateside she thinks they will be able to supply, I am certainly thinking about it, Waiting to hear from Alex at Calder then will decide.

Did you take picture tink ?, Cos the BIG shadow blocks most of it out. :ROFLMAO:

The garden I mean :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Tell you what, This is getting rave reviews on US forums and it is a lot cheaper and lighter than a sliding hitch and takes it back 22" :Eeek:

Link Removed

IanRS

Free Member
Nov 6, 2008
Funster No
Tell you what, This is getting rave reviews on US forums and it is a lot cheaper and lighter than a sliding hitch and takes it back 22" :Eeek:

Link Removed

Hi All the Sidewinder had a good write up in the current edition of Trailer Life.

Ian

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Sidewinder

Les,
When I ordered my KL26RK, I asked Alex to fit a Sidewinder, he did as he had one in stock (£600). Paul, who does most of the Calder 5er driving took it out and declared it "useless". Alex did not rate it either. I did not try it, but as I had never towed anything in my life, how could I tell? So it was taken off and their standard "extended" pin box was fitted. Calder reckoned that their pin box was only about 6" less than what was acheived by the sidewinder.
I've had the unit nearly a year, approximately 4,000 miles with it and done a few 3 and 23 point turns, parked it on lots of pitches and so far no problems. But I still think the Sidewinder must have some advantages, but for £600 I 'd rather go for the 10" extender. However as it also raises the unit by 3.5", which tilts the 5er even farther on to the rearmost axle and I dont'd think you can drop the hitch that mutch to compensate. (other KL26RK owners will understand the last bit but probably no one else)
JK

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Hi Jk
Thanks for the info, as for the extender I thought it was possible to adjust the height of the Hitch as I remember one user actually had it so low it caught the sides of the Navara bed.
:Eeek:

As for the sidewinder, I have read countless posts from the states and without exception they highly recommend it and it is in fact put in comparison at the side of a sliding hitch and also a hitch extender.

Last edited:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Just had an email from Linda at stateside she thinks they will be able to supply, I am certainly thinking about it, Waiting to hear from Alex at Calder then will decide.

Did you take picture tink ?, Cos the BIG shadow blocks most of it out. :ROFLMAO:

The garden I mean :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
MAY I WISH YOU & CHRIS A
Link Removed:ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Awww Tink, That is SSSoooooooooooo kind of you, But I already know what you look like, I don't need a Photo.

Thanks Mate same to you and yours.

:thumb::wine:

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Les,
When I ordered my KL26RK, I asked Alex to fit a Sidewinder, he did as he had one in stock (£600). Paul, who does most of the Calder 5er driving took it out and declared it "useless". Alex did not rate it either. I did not try it, but as I had never towed anything in my life, how could I tell? So it was taken off and their standard "extended" pin box was fitted. Calder reckoned that their pin box was only about 6" less than what was acheived by the sidewinder.
I've had the unit nearly a year, approximately 4,000 miles with it and done a few 3 and 23 point turns, parked it on lots of pitches and so far no problems. But I still think the Sidewinder must have some advantages, but for £600 I 'd rather go for the 10" extender. However as it also raises the unit by 3.5", which tilts the 5er even farther on to the rearmost axle and I dont'd think you can drop the hitch that mutch to compensate. (other KL26RK owners will understand the last bit but probably no one else)
JK

Gone off the extender now as I was on a forum in US and they pointed out that the extender is only OK when in a straight line, when you turn the hitch is still close to body as it is not to the rear then, a point I missed.
:Eeek::Doh:

davidjones

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Stockport
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
3rd year 5ver
Hitch Extender

You can get them in the states, They use them overthere with their short (6' -8') bed pickups. Niche have them on their units because of our very very short load bed area, even my origional 5ver (1999) had one fitted.

When niche bring units in they make sure that everything is done to be legal in the uk, proper handbrake fitted, electrics converted and the extension pin box

Have you tried asking Calder to get one for you? GIBLA53

Be worth checking with Alex at Calder. They did try the electric hitch but dropped the idea very quickly. Don't know how it would affect my pretty poor reversing skills. :Blush:
Because of the limitations of where I park up I have a mover Calder shipped in.

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Be worth checking with Alex at Calder. They did try the electric hitch but dropped the idea very quickly. Don't know how it would affect my pretty poor reversing skills. :Blush:
Because of the limitations of where I park up I have a mover Calder shipped in.

Which mover is it, I have seen a couple but none were quite right for me.
:thumb:

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I have just had a very interesting phone conversation with Alex at Calder, It appears that Calder actually extend the Hitch on a 26 RL Low profile by 13", They also carry Sidewinder as part of their stock, So No Problems at all.
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back