Sperm oil .. . anyone ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
How the World has changed ..

Instructions with an antique sewing machine I bought this week .. anyone know who stocks this oil ? :roflmto:

Oiling the Stand

IF THE MACHINE OR THE STAND RUNS HEAVY after standing, use PARAFFIN OIL, run the machine at a quick speed for a few minutes, then clean the Paraffin Oil off, and oil the machine with GOOD SPERM OIL.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
Writing as an old suing machine myself, I'd go to Vera Lynn and ask for Whale meat again.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Once used as a mechanical transmission oil
Very high shear properties
If you find any Jim is gonna cost:Eeek:
The empty embossed bottles now fetcht £15.00 on flea bay:Doh:
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I know Jim has a passion for old sewing machines.
In the burnt out French village of Oradour every other burnt out house has a sewing machine left on display from WW2
When Jim left 90% of em were up and running:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I know Jim has a passion for old sewing machines.
In the burnt out French village of Oradour every other burnt out house has a sewing machine left on display from WW2
When Jim left 90% of em were up and running:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what happened to the other 10%? did he nick em?

Olley

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Where'd ya think the spares came from:Doh:

SmellyFeet

Free Member
Aug 4, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Less Than 1 Year
Sperm Oil

On a visit to the black country museum last year we saw Sperm candles - now the mind really does boggle.

We were told they were a by product of the whaling industry !!!!!!

Dave

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Sperm oil (Useless fact) but interesting

::bigsmile:Many Moons ago I used to be involved with the shipping ,storage ,handling and sampling
of this product along with many other animal, fish,and vegetable oils can I suggest that you look under the heading of substitute lubricants on google as obviously now whaling is banned. Burmah Castrol @ ellesmere port used to import 1500 tons on regular basis how many whales is that ?:RollEyes:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
::bigsmile:Many Moons ago I used to be involved with the shipping ,storage ,handling and sampling
of this product along with many other animal, fish,and vegetable oils can I suggest that you look under the heading of substitute lubricants on google as obviously now whaling is banned. Burmah Castrol @ ellesmere port used to import 1500 tons on regular basis how many whales is that ?:RollEyes:

cheers, interesting.. but I think I'll stick to modern sewing machine oil.. :Smile:

jim

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
If yoou managed to find some..... and assuming it is still cold when the Stratford show gets here...... the female part of ourcampersbeentrashed could cover herself with it before her scheduled striptease....... or perhaps I am confusing it with Goose Grease :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
There's a shop, I think its a cafe, with old sewing machines completely filling the front windows, must be 50 or 60 of them, can't remember exactly where it is, but I think its in the Bluewater shopping centre.

Don't know whether I should be posting this, as the thought of all those machines is likely to give Jim a funny turn, and he will be offering to take Jan there, which will give her a funny turn. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There's a shop, I think its a cafe, with old sewing machines completely filling the front windows, must be 50 or 60 of them, can't remember exactly where it is, but I think its in the Bluewater shopping centre.

Don't know whether I should be posting this, as the thought of all those machines is likely to give Jim a funny turn, and he will be offering to take Jan there, which will give her a funny turn. :ROFLMAO:

Hi Olley .. next time I'm in Bluewater there will be a blue moon in the sky .. :roflmto:

Funny you should say that.. went to an auction today and bought another for £12 ..
A 1932 Singer 28k hand cranker with a flying shuttle.. my first .. got home, threaded her up and away she went like a new 'un ::bigsmile: the workmanship an attention to detail in these old machines is truly amazing.. I wonder how many thinks made today will still be running and useful in 77 years time.. not many I'm guessing.. must post a pic ..

jim

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Funny you should say that.. went to an auction today and bought another for £12 ..
A 1932 Singer 28k hand cranker with a flying shuttle.. my first .. got home, threaded her up and away she went like a new 'un ::bigsmile:
jim

Me thinks Jims setting up a sweat shop turning out fake designer gear!:whatthe:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Olley .. next time I'm in Bluewater there will be a blue moon in the sky .. :roflmto:

jim

just found this on another site ::bigsmile:

I couldn't wait till the launch of Apple's new all singing all dancing OSX 10.5 .. now 10.5.1, otherwise known as Leopard..
I waited in line at the Apple store at Bluewater for the UK release..

Was there a blue moon?? :ROFLMAO:

Olley

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
just found this on another site ::bigsmile:

I couldn't wait till the launch of Apple's new all singing all dancing OSX 10.5 .. now 10.5.1, otherwise known as Leopard..
I waited in line at the Apple store at Bluewater for the UK release..

Was there a blue moon?? :ROFLMAO:

Olley

Needs must Olley .. and as they used to say, I'd walk a mile for a Camel.. or a Mac ::bigsmile: but I was parked in Kent, so it was just up the road .. :winky:

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back