Speed stickers - sorry if i'm being thick! (1 Viewer)

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I have searched through a number of the threads regading speed stickers and to be honest i am completely confused, so apologies if I am being thick :Doh:when i ask:-

I have a European MH plated at 4000kg exactly what stickers do I need to comply please? we are travelling through France to Spain

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im not aware of any compulsory speed stickers for motorhomes as they are classed as PRIVATE goods vehicles.

found this on the "Sureterm insurance" website and its worth a read.
if you want to put stickers on then i suggest a 100kph and an 80kph as these are the two relative speed limits.

Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
a bit of conflicting evidence as usual:RollEyes:

caravan club say 110 m/way...100 dual ...80 single

whereas insurance co say 100 m/way and dual....80 single.

:Doh:

That's why I was getting confused, I think i will just stick to the 100kmh Better on fuel economy anyway and then not have the worry and just enjoy, on the way down we are going to take 5 days anyway so no rush

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Don't think there is any requirement for speed stickers.

But Spanish limits, I think, are different - although it seems very hard to get a definitive statement.

My understanding is that for over 3500kg they are the same as trucks, ie 90km on motorways and dual carriageways, 80 on other out of town roads. 3500 or under are, I think, 100km on motorways, 90 on most other roads, 80 on smaller roads .

There was an excellent post on this site that explained all of this in a translated document.

Also be aware that in France, and Spain, there are quite a few smaller roads where the weight limit is 3500kg, so watch the sat nav!

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
A lot of large French Motorhomes changed their stickers to the same as the trucks earlier in the year then, changed them back to 80, 90, 110.

I've just been out and looked at a 10 tonner parked 30' away (a Phoenix with garage Link Removed ) and he's plated 80, 90, 110. I know he changed back to this in Septemberish (I saw him doing it).

There seems to be a bit of confusion over here in France as Motorhomes are "legally" not commercial vehicles so the Private vehicle regulations seem to apply.

I'm only stating what I can see over here today. It is not legal advice or advice of any type.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Just a thought...

.. has anybody been in touch with Frankie (Yodeli) on this subject? In the past she's come up trumps on several occasions; and she is a 'local', as it were.

Hi Frankie. What's your take on this? We're looking for something a bit less confusing than the information we're getting from our clubs and organisations. Can you help?:Confused:

John

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi Gary!
i've read it all.... and yes it's quite confusing:RollEyes:
I've never seen stickers on caravans or motorhomes in France , but that just means i never look in front of me :ROFLMAO:. So i made a few searches on the net but didn't find any recent informatiosn so will give a few phone calls tomorrow morning and will let you know the exact law with speed limits(for MH over 3,5T, and whether you should put stickers or not.

Hope i'll get the information cause sometimes gendarmes are really thick!:roflmto:Relax.. you see you're not the worst!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi Gary!
i've read it all.... and yes it's quite confusing:RollEyes:
I've never seen stickers on caravans or motorhomes in France , but that just means i never look in front of me :ROFLMAO:. So i made a few searches on the net but didn't find any recent informatiosn so will give a few phone calls tomorrow morning and will let you know the exact law with speed limits(for MH over 3,5T, and whether you should put stickers or not.

Hope i'll get the information cause sometimes gendarmes are really thick!:roflmto:Relax.. you see you're not the worst!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Amicalement

Frankie:winky:

Thanks Frankie much appreciated:thumb::thumb:

I am pleased it wasn't just me missing the obvious :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Hi Gary!

Here are the results of my enquiries:

Over 3,5T as a private vehicule (opposite to transporters) your speed limits are:

On roads ("nationales" ie N20 in red; or on "departementales" ie D632 in yellow): 80kms/h
On 4 lanes (2 each way): 100kms/h
On motorways: 110kms/h
In towns: 50kms/h

These speed limits are minus 10kms/h in case of bad weather (whatever it is: rain, snow, wind)

You have to put 3 stickers on the back of your van: 80/100/110

If you're under that weight you're considered as a normal vehicule so no specific rule.

If you have a towed car: as long as you are under 10T same rules than for over 3,5T
If over:Doh:.....hummmm:RollEyes: let me know.... i'll ask again, kept the phone number::bigsmile:

Hope that helps

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Thanks Frankie,
That's great. :thumb::thumb:

John

OP
OP
Toffs-G

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
Hi Gary!

Here are the results of my enquiries:

Over 3,5T as a private vehicule (opposite to transporters) your speed limits are:

On roads ("nationales" ie N20 in red; or on "departementales" ie D632 in yellow): 80kms/h
On 4 lanes (2 each way): 100kms/h
On motorways: 110kms/h
In towns: 50kms/h

These speed limits are minus 10kms/h in case of bad weather (whatever it is: rain, snow, wind)

You have to put 3 stickers on the back of your van: 80/100/110

If you're under that weight you're considered as a normal vehicule so no specific rule.

If you have a towed car: as long as you are under 10T same rules
If over:Doh:.....hummmm:RollEyes: let me know.... i'll ask again, kept the phone number::bigsmile:

Hope that helps

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile::winky:

Thanks Frankie:thumb::thumb:

You are a star, i tend to drive at about 100km over there anyway on motorways so i will just put the 3 stickers on and be done with it

I really appreciate your help thank you:thumb::thumb:

Joyeaux Noel::bigsmile:

captmike

Free Member
Nov 26, 2008
Cambs & S. Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Is it possible to check with the French authorities whether this regulation applies to foreign registered, temporarily imported vehicles?

Where can one get the stickers? The site recommended by the Caravan Club shows ones of a different design to the ones I have seen in France. What diameter should they be? Is there a spec somewhere?

Questions, questions!

Cheers,

Mike

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks to Frankie for researching the French Rules

However, what other countries have rules about stickers? If they do and theirs are different from the French do you have to remove/cover-up the French- compliant ones when entering a country with different speed limits.

Alternatively, as one poster suggested, do the rules apply according to the country of vehicle registration?

Maybe we should ask Norbert Dentressangle - they seem to have vehicles registered in FR UK NL and PL

Any further thoughts?

Geoff

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Thanks to Frankie for researching the French Rules

However, what other countries have rules about stickers? If they do and theirs are different from the French do you have to remove/cover-up the French- compliant ones when entering a country with different speed limits.

Alternatively, as one poster suggested, do the rules apply according to the country of vehicle registration?

Maybe we should ask Norbert Dentressangle - they seem to have vehicles registered in FR UK NL and PL

Any further thoughts?

Geoff

Hi!

I've tried to find out on the internet if there is any europeen text we could all rely on.I only found europeen text for transporters/lorries. But i've seen as well that this kind of text is discussed with the main insurrances of most concerned countries. So perhaps a phone call to yours would be worth it.
I'll phone to mine to see if i can get any information.

If you all do the same just let's know on this thread what you've been told

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back