Bargain!! Small oil filled rad for van. (1 Viewer)

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi,

I've been considering which heater to put in the van, and leave switched on permanently.

I went to Currys this morning looking for an oil filled radiator, and came away with a Matsui MBR 700.

It's tiny, around 12" x 4", with 7 panels, and is rated at 700w. I'm going to stand it in a litter tray, so that if it leaks, the oil will be contained.

It's thermostatically controlled, so you could have it on just for frost protection.

Best of all, it's reduced from £39.99 to £19.99

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
I'm going to stand it in a litter tray, so that if it leaks, the oil will be contained.

That's a great idea:thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Can't see it on there website, got a link please?:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Dunhelm mills have these, I brought one last year and very good to take the chill off.

John.

Junior Oil Filled Radiator
Product DetailsPrice £14.99

Customer rating
5.0(1 review)
Read 1 ReviewWrite a ReviewPlease select all of these options before adding to your basket or wishlist.

Colour
Please Select White Quantity:
Add to Basket Wishlist DetailsDeliveryDetailsThe Junior Oil Filled Radiator will keep you warm on those cold winter nights. The portable 7 fin heater runs silently and features a variable thermostat and overheat protection.The heater is complete with a cable tidy. The UK’s Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) regulations will allow members of the public to deposit old electrical and electronic items at recycling sites across the UK free of charge.
For more information on WEEE and your nearest centre please see our buyer’s guides.

•Brand: Dunelm
•Colours available: One colour available in Grey

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just a little math folks..
You seem glad to make a 20 quid saving, but a 700w heater ( or anything ! ) left on 24 7 will devour approx £15.40 per week at 13.1p per kwh

Tony Hunt

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Wimborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV A class
Exp
We use one of these only slightly larger in our RV as the main heating. It saves having the Gas furnace on all the time and constantly having to refill the LPG tank. We thermostat it at around 20c while we are sitting in the evenings and then turn it right down during the day while out and also at night once weve gone to bed. It works well, even in the coldest weather.

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Just a little math folks..
You seem glad to make a 20 quid saving, but a 700w heater ( or anything ! ) left on 24 7 will devour approx £15.40 per week at 13.1p per kwh

I agree. However, if the heater is left on at a very low setting, sufficient to keep the interior above freezing, then it won't cost anything like £15.40 per week. If the heater is also put on a timer, then the cost is even less.

It will take a while to work out the best cost/heat ratio, but I'm pretty sure that I can halve the cost. Time will tell.

In the final analysis, I can live with the cost if the heater will keep the interior damp free.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
In that case just slap a couple of 100w bulbs ( couple of table lamps will do, about 2.00 quidlets from a boot sale ) on a timer ::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I agree. However, if the heater is left on at a very low setting, sufficient to keep the interior above freezing, then it won't cost anything like £15.40 per week. If the heater is also put on a timer, then the cost is even less. It will take a while to work out the best cost/heat ratio, but I'm pretty sure that I can halve the cost. Time will tell. In the final analysis, I can live with the cost if the heater will keep the interior damp free.

Sorry to be a killjoy here but 700w on a very low setting and on a timer. That’s not going to warm the oil let alone keeping the van damp free and above freezing. Have you thought of using a 100w light bulb, it would probably give off as much heat.
Left on full power 24/7 would help but using the very low power setting on a timer with ambiant temp below freezing:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

RichardnGill

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
Durham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We use an 800watt oil filled rad which we got from B&Q I think it was about £24.

WE have this in the cab between the front seats and even on a low setting it does heat the cab up a lot. It also keeps the chill of the rest of the van.

It in only actual on and using electric for about 25% of the time, that is the best thing about an oil filled rad as it produces heat for a while after the thermostat has shut it down.

On most sites we run the oil filled rad on 800 watts along with the Truma heating on electric and we can still use the electric kettle.

Richard...

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I checked the van interior before I went to bed last night, and the readout was 17c, and about 10 minutes ago, the reading was the same. This was with the radiator on it's lowest setting.

The outside air temperature was 6c last night.

I don't need to be told I'm stupid, and frankly the use of ROFL icons is unnecessary - I can add and subtract, and I know the cost of electricity.

There are so many variables to consider, ie, the fact that the van is winterised, well insulated, and fully double glazed. The upholstery will absorb, and give off heat as well. If the heater turns into a lemon, and I have to find something else, then so be it.

The murmers of contentment by some on this thread, and the fact that these do appear to be effective is far better feedback than posting nonsense about 100w lightbulbs, and otherwise stating the obvious.:Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Oh dear-handbags at 20 paces!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I just found a dummy underneath the computer monitor..
Has someone spat one out perchance ?

Oh and the smiley I put up was smiling at my suggestion of a couple of bulbs.. I might do it myself but would never seriously recommend others do it as it might not be the safest thing to do

Andddd...............

Every single oil filled rad type I have ever come across does not reduce the current drawn.. They always run 700w ( or whatever ) but have a thermostat fitted to control the heat level, thereby controlling how much juice is used
There are one or two exceptions around but they are usually clearly marked and have a big 'clunk switch' to switch between heating elements

Last edited:

gixermark

Free Member
Sep 8, 2009
Hereford
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
2 years ! Ex "Tugger" of 7 years + !!
Fight .... Fight .... Fight !!!!!!!!!! :Eeek:

Playground ......... three thirty .... be there or be square !!! :ROFLMAO:

C'mon chaps ......... calm it down, it's only a bloody radiator for goodness sake!

CHILL ..... Literally ...............
:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
C'mon chaps ......... calm it down, it's only a bloody radiator for goodness sake!

CHILL ..... Literally ...............
:thumb:

That's all it was - "here is a cheap heater".

I think our little even cheaper B&Q greenhouse type heater is 200W and that just copes of on all the time.

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
The comment about 2 x 100w bulbs is facile.

2 bulbs at 100watts would never raise the temperature in the van, so maintaining even a low temperature would be impossible.

An oil heater at 700 watts would be capable of raising the temperature, and with use of the thermostat, maintaining it by switching on and off at intervals. As the rad is oil filled, it does not immediately go cold as would a fan or radiant heater.

OK, I've just spent a couple of hours in the van, and the heater has been switching on an off at intervals. On the lowest setting, the heater has been on for 22mins in total, out of 2 hrs, and maintaining the temperature at 16c. The heater stayed warm to the touch, between bursts. This seems to suggest that on a cold day, the heater is consuming around 230 watts per hour. On a freezing day, it may consume a little more, but not a lot, as the van is well insulated.

I'm not looking to use this heater as a primary source, as I have gas and electric heating when the van is being used. All I'm doing is trying to the interior above freezing, and attempting to keep any small amounts of damp at bay.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
someone who does not read all posts said:

Quite correct ! It was meant to be facile.. However I am sure a lot of folk will be grateful to you for pointing that out :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

2 bulbs at 100watts would never raise the temperature in the van, so maintaining even a low temperature would be impossible.

This seems to suggest that on a cold day, the heater is consuming around 230 watts per hour. On a freezing day, it may consume a little more, but not a lot, as the van is well insulated.

Give or take 30 watts you've shot yourself down there.

There is even an argument that says 100W at each end spreads the heat better.

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Give or take 30 watts you've shot yourself down there.

There is even an argument that says 100W at each end spreads the heat better.

Hi Brian,

Not so, because the original burst of heat is topped up by the residual heat in the oil, and because the air temperature has already been raised, it requires smaller amounts of energy over a shorter period to maintain a higher ambient temperature.

This seems to be working.

However I'm not of a particularly scientific bent, and I'm quite prepared to admit that I'm wrong, or my thinking is muddled, and retire gracefully from this arguement.:Doh:

It does however, seem to be keeping the van at an even temperature with an output of only 700w for 10 minutes or so per hour.:winky:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Ignoring the original post which was just a simple 'look what I've found' post......

Surely residual heat from the oil wouldn't make it better than a light bulbs instant turn off because you would have the opposite at the start of the cycle when the oil was using power to heat up before it started giving off any heat ?

Having said that, I cannot believe the heat from 7 X 100watt bulbs would compare with the heat off a 700 watt radiator...... would it?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having said that, I cannot believe the heat from 7 X 100watt bulbs would compare with the heat off a 700 watt radiator...... would it?

Identical.

There is a tiny advantage to the light bulb, as you notice when near one, it's beaming out infra-red heat, this will be absorbed by the surroundings places heating where air might not circulate.

Have you noticed in the newspapers, all over the country cannabis growing houses are are spotted by infra-red cameras detecting the heat from the bulbs used to grow it. A tiny percentage of electricity is converted to light in an incandescent light bulb which is why we all go out buying LED lamps.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Identical.

A tiny percentage of electricity is converted to light in an incandescent light bulb which is why we all go out buying LED lamps.

I suppose.......

In which case........ Does everyone turning over to low power bulbs to save energy mean we are all turning up the central heating to compensate....... and thus wasting more than we save ?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
changing the subject just very slightly xxx

A small tip.

If you are using oil filled radiators and have them on overnight whilst sleeping in the motorhome consider putting out a bowl of water a safe distance away from the heater, anywhere on the worksurface.

This is is suggested because these heaters tend to dry the air out and you may find it makes a pleasant difference.

Happy motorhoming to all over the xmas period xxxxx

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I suppose.......
In which case........ Does everyone turning over to low power bulbs to save energy mean we are all turning up the central heating to compensate....... and thus wasting more than we save ?

Exactly. The tossers in government with fine Eton educations and degrees in Medieval Languages just see SAVING as pushed by manufacturers of energy saving light bulbs and jump on the popular bandwagon.

When you look at the complexity of the little florescent lamps and the mercury inside them, the flicker which is bad for some people, it's a very, very marginal idea.

Lately there has been a hint of common sense with electric cars, "no emissions from this car", but at least many people have cottoned on that there's loads of emissions at the old electricity plants.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
I use an oil-filled radiator on holiday if it gets cold in the evenings. As I am almost invariably on a campsite where electricity is included in the overnight price I can't really see how it costs me a lot to run it. It certainly keeps the van nice and warm. I wont use any emoticons as I don't want to upset anybody as it's getting close to Xmas.

Phil.

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Very true Brian. We have a Toyota Prius. Government give you road tax for £15 because it is environmentally friendly but apparently the batteries travel thousands of sea miles in various states of build before they get to the car, which is then shipped by sea to the UK...... all using vast amounts of fuel.:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back