Overwintering batteries (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
We've just put our MH away for a couple of months (bit like a tortoise and its first hibernation). So what should we do about the batteries?
  • I suggested we should disconnect both the engine and habitation batteries
  • Mr S says that although MH is in a large barn, there is some daylight and we should not disconnect as the solar panel will provide a trickle top up
What do you recommend? Thanks (we couldn't love our MH more if it was a tortoise, so want to do right by it ;))

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Disconnecting the vehicle battery will disable the alarm/tracker or whatever and so might invalidate your insurance. I would imagine the amount of solar charge you would get indoors in the winter would be close to zilch.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Solar needs sunlight, not daylight, to be of any use but in a barn I wouldn't bother too much.
Disconnect batteries ! ....is the van alarmed ?

If no hook up available I would remove batteries and bench charge at home once a month or so if there's no alarm connected

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Disconnecting the vehicle battery will disable the alarm/tracker or whatever and so might invalidate your insurance. I would imagine the amount of solar charge you would get indoors in the winter would be close to zilch.
Thanks but we are in France and don't have an alarm or tracker and the insurance don't require it over here.
Did wonder just how much solar charge we would get at this time of year, even with rooflights in the barn

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Solar needs sunlight, not daylight, to be of any use but in a barn I wouldn't bother too much.

If no hook up available I would remove batteries and bench charge at home once a month or so if there's no alarm connected
As the barn is only up the road we might be as well to just go up and take it out for a little run and ehu for a day then? Mr S reluctant to disconnect batteries for some reason... (bad back doesn't help)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
its best to leave your engine battery connected and just take it for a wee run from time to time
bill

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
another alternative just keep using it
We did last winter (our first one) and have been away for Christmas to Alsace, which was fab, but grandparent duties mean we have to put it away for a while. Shame, winter in Spain is very tempting.............

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Couple of options, First I would not advise disconnecting the batteries, they discharge even so, therefore very little point, Yes I think you will get a Small charge via solar so long as it can see daylight, but likely not enough to be of use. Can you get hold of a small generator?. take that up plug it into the EHU, and run it for an hour or 2.? The best way though will still be to take it out for "walkies" periodically, as the brakes engine and auxiliaries all get some exercise, Sleepy motor homes eventually give trouble. But make sure it is thoroughly warmed through before you put it back to bed. We periodically take ours to the seaside at Bridlington, have a walk and an Ice cream (or stronger) make a cuppa, and then come home again, just enough exercise to give the M-H a chance of not being troublesome when used in earnest!.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Couple of options, First I would not advise disconnecting the batteries, they discharge even so, therefore very little point, Yes I think you will get a Small charge via solar so long as it can see daylight, but likely not enough to be of use. Can you get hold of a small generator?. take that up plug it into the EHU, and run it for an hour or 2.? The best way though will still be to take it out for "walkies" periodically, as the brakes engine and auxiliaries all get some exercise, Sleepy motor homes eventually give trouble. But make sure it is thoroughly warmed through before you put it back to bed. We periodically take ours to the seaside at Bridlington, have a walk and an Ice cream (or stronger) make a cuppa, and then come home again, just enough exercise to give the M-H a chance of not being troublesome when used in earnest!.
grate advice (y)

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit

I thought solar panel would perform best in bright sunlight , but would also give a small charge as long as it is daylight i.e. Cloudy conditions very very small charge ?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Our MH had an 85 Watt solar panel, was parked outdoors with the panel on the back of the luton (so with a slight angle towards the sun) and struggled to maintain charge on both batteries during Dec-Feb because of low sunlight levels. I doubt if solar will work in a barn.

A regular run out, maybe every 2-3 weeks will probably help. I usually leave the handbrake off in storage too, and chock the wheels. No point straining the cable any more than it needs.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Our MH had an 85 Watt solar panel, was parked outdoors with the panel on the back of the luton (so with a slight angle towards the sun) and struggled to maintain charge on both batteries during Dec-Feb because of low sunlight levels. I doubt if solar will work in a barn.

A regular run out, maybe every 2-3 weeks will probably help. I usually leave the handbrake off in storage too, and chock the wheels. No point straining the cable any more than it needs.

Forgot to mention that. My First R-V , on the P30 chassis, would seize the brakes after as little as a Month. The cable(s) had a 24ft+ run, but the biggest issue was with the linings tending to almost bond themselves to the Drums. On start-up, you could feel the "thump" as the shoes released, and the thing would jump forward, needing a quick application of the brakes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back