Shocked by insurance quotes, or am I being naive? (1 Viewer)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
You tried Saga ? Insured us last year when van was only 6 months old £270 Van kept on drive, both of us to drive an i have an sp30 which i declared from 2013, euro unlimited miles included - £28 extra for legal cover

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Can't help on the van quote but a comment on the NCD. As @Abacist I have three vehicles and whilst the motorhome was mirrored for insurance, when we bought the third vehicle a couple of years ago were given a 10% intro discount which didn't help a lot on the premium. We decided on renewal that it was more beneficial to switch our full NCD from a very old Espace to the new one. It helped that all three are with AIB.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Reading @Kool Kroozer's mention of Saga, could be a good option for your first year at least. Whether house, travel, vehicle they have always been cheap for me on the first year but ridiculous on renewal. Worth a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
We have been looking for a secure storage site for months, so when this one came up we jumped at it. We are already paying the storage fee even though we haven't got the van yet. It is a Gold CaSSOA site, so we should get a reduction in price for that. We do live on the outskirts of east Manchester though :eek:

I also store in East Manchester on a Cassoa Gold site and no allowance made for that because the insurance is based on the post code. Got quote to move it onto a friends farm with no security at all and it was far cheaper. Left it on the secure site though for my peace of mind

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
most insurers will mirror existing ncb on your car

That seems very fair as you can't drive both at the same time if that's why they did it.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our last renewal with Comfort was £400.62 and we have the full European Breakdown and cover policy. We do store the van in a ridiculously low crime area, I have a clean licence and no claims (apart from glass). We have just declared the fitting of a Growler alarm, and the lady says that my premium will come down next year.

Lots of things affect your premium that you would have thought would. Being married reduces your premium. Adding a person who is married and over 25 as a named driver will reduce your premium. Sometimes a fully comprehensive quote will be cheaper than a TPFT policy.
For a motorhome apparently, a big no no is a driver who has endorsements. My brother in law has 2 convictions for speeding. We tried to add him to the policy so that my sister and him could use the van, the premium would have been nearer £1,000. We also politely declined! :D

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Saga have just quoted me the same as i paid last year, which i was surprised about, its normally a big hike with most of em come renewel time.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another problem is that we have no NCB to carry over as it is on the car. I still think that second quote was ridiculous, I wouldn't mind if I was only 18 :D2. I tried the online comparison sites but as we don't know the registration number yet and they won't quote for over 30 days ahead anyway, it's no good.
Comfort is a net policy NCD does not make any difference.
Unless your van is worth more than 80k I would expect a sub £300 premium with Comfort but some models they load or the storage compound is in a high risk postcode area.
Other insurers like Scenic will mirror the cars NCD.

Deleted User
Comfort is a net policy NCD does not make any difference.
Unless your van is worth more than 80k I would expect a sub £300 premium with Comfort but some models they load or the storage compound is in a high risk postcode area.
Other insurers like Scenic will mirror the cars NCD.

Comfort gave me the£820 quote for a £30000 Globecar, no convictions, claims etc, parked on drive, only vehicle, 2 drivers, 15000 miles.

The insurance market seems very complicated with different brokers having special arrangements with underwriters so that the same policy will have different prices from different brokers.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
@Gorse Hill, no, we're a bit further east in the posh bit - Audenshaw :D, but the van will be kept in Ashton, but only 10 mins away from home.

OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Can't help on the van quote but a comment on the NCD. As @Abacist I have three vehicles and whilst the motorhome was mirrored for insurance, when we bought the third vehicle a couple of years ago were given a 10% intro discount which didn't help a lot on the premium. We decided on renewal that it was more beneficial to switch our full NCD from a very old Espace to the new one. It helped that all three are with AIB.

Sorry for being thick, but I presume mirroring means that you have the same NCD on both vehicles? I hadn't considered swapping the NCD from the car to the van, but as the car is only two years old in March and I am already paying just over £300 for car insurance, there probably wouldn't be much difference. Any opinions please?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just renewed mine this morning with Safeguard, they sent my renewal through and after checking online for other prices they were slightly more expensive. I called this morning and with in 5 minutes had nearly £50 off the renewal price, it cost me £335 thats for a year old van 2 drivers, I have 3 points so pleased with that. Comfort quoted £5 cheaper for their premium cover which is equivalent to the one i have.

Also renewed my car insurance today and managed to get a decent discount on that just by looking around.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Sorry for being thick, but I presume mirroring means that you have the same NCD on both vehicles? I hadn't considered swapping the NCD from the car to the van, but as the car is only two years old in March and I am already paying just over £300 for car insurance, there probably wouldn't be much difference. Any opinions please?
Doesn't involve swapping your NCD, just means if you have a car with 60% NCD they will give you 60% on the Motorhome but won't give you a protected NCD for the first year.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Comfort gave me the£820 quote for a £30000 Globecar, no convictions, claims etc, parked on drive, only vehicle, 2 drivers, 15000 miles.
Our van is insured for 62k 8000 miles Comfort premium £292 including £12 for £1000 audio cover. Parked on drive, cost about £20 to increase mileage by 2000 but over 10k they treat it as unlimited.
Got a quote for the new van which will be 25-30% higher value they said same price .

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We paid £375.55 for Comfort including £60 European breakdown. Not had any claims

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Another problem is that we have no NCB to carry over as it is on the car. I still think that second quote was ridiculous, I wouldn't mind if I was only 18 :D2. I tried the online comparison sites but as we don't know the registration number yet and they won't quote for over 30 days ahead anyway, it's no good.
Try Alan Blundell. Best quotes and mirrors NCD and also build your own up on MoHo

Deleted User
Our van is insured for 62k 8000 miles Comfort premium £292 including £12 for £1000 audio cover. Parked on drive, cost about £20 to increase mileage by 2000 but over 10k they treat it as unlimited.
Got a quote for the new van which will be 25-30% higher value they said same price .

Unfortunately our address is in an E rated area, presumably most in West Sussex are A or B, seems to make a tremendous difference.

Most of the quotes on this thread that seem to be cheap originate from A rated areas, at least the ones that I have bothered to look up thanks to the very useful link posted by @Stroppy Bird.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Always learning
Saga £270, full unlimited european cover included, protected NCD, 2 Drivers, 3 points on licence for SP30,10k miles, kept on drive..this is my renewel quote just had from them ;) Just cant find anything any cheaper anywhere GO SAGA :dance2::dance2:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Unfortunately our address is in an E rated area, presumably most in West Sussex are A or B, seems to make a tremendous difference.

Most of the quotes on this thread that seem to be cheap originate from A rated areas, at least the ones that I have bothered to look up thanks to the very useful link posted by @Stroppy Bird.
All very much a postcode lottery

Shoreham-by-Sea 2 miles east of us used to have a postcode of BN4 (BN= Brighton) about 15 years ago they changed the postcode to BN45, everyone's car and house insurance dropped in price.

Deleted User
Saga, Comfort, Caravanguard, Motorhomefacts, Safeguard,C&CC,CC, Camptons, AIB et al are either brokers or use brokers to get quotes from a limited number of underwriters.

What I find confusing is that different brokers come up with different prices for the same cover provided by the same underwriters, and not just a little either!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)

Wot @Lenny HB said. The 2014 prang will affect it whatever but you can only ask re mirroring and swapping.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I'm with safeguard unlimited mileage, European break down recovery, 2014 Auto Sleeper Broadway originally payed £54,000 for it, no fault accident in France 2014.
Total £379.

John.
I'm with them too and it's about the same price. In addition I can keep it either at home (on the road) or in secure storage. They are happy with both.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
It seems to moi... that it be a lottery...
And what they can fleece you for...
Combined with... what you "consider" acceptable!!..
bet the Scots ins is as cheep as chips!... :) ;)

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Try Motorhome Facts insurance. Mine has never been above £400. from new.

Ditto.
About £375 on a Hymer A class, although if it was a Rapid A Class, a Carthago A class or an N&B A class of the same value it would have been another 300 quid.

Moved from one CASSOA Gold site to another more secure one, even indoor storage and still CASSOA Gold and the premium went up £100. If I'd have left it where it was in an outside storage pitch it would be less than £300.

You can't argue with them; just shop around.

Mike

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The security of a storage site doesn't seem to count for much, it's all down to location. Someone on this forum a while back moved their storage from a gold site to parking outside their house and the premium went down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back