Any Paragliders on the site? (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have been watching various site in Spain where the paragliding is taking place and have decided to find out more about it, is the any one who is active in the sport that can answer a few questions for me?

Doug...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have been watching various site in Spain where the paragliding is taking place and have decided to find out more about it, is the any one who is active in the sport that can answer a few questions for me?

Doug...

My daughter expressed an interest in it so I got her a book on it. I glanced through it and found it pretty scary. The level of control was disturbing to say the least. As far as I could see one good gust can fold the canopy and it's curtains.

We used to share the ridge with them at Camphill. On a really crappy day they'd be happy bunnies while we got to watch them whilst doing 3 min circuits. I don't recall any accidents or deaths but in the same period I was there something like 6 glider pilots died.

On the whole though it must be a very pleasant way to spend a few hours when the right weather arrives.

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Yes, I too have flown amongst them on the same ridge in both Camp hill and Long Mynd, I never saw anything to get worried about except the possible damage to the undercarriage.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
paragliding

hi doug
we were on this acsi site in september

Link Removed

the views were lovelly.
but from the mountain overlooking the camp site there was always at least 20 paragliders in the sky at any one time .
the local town (doussard) had a booking office for jumps both solo or tandem.
spent loads of time watching them landing in the field of the local sports centre, and also on annecy lake.
must admit to fancying a go.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I never saw anything to get worried about except the possible damage to the undercarriage.
Doug...

I witnessed that on on Shining Tor. This paraglider was tracking the top of the ridge but only just, so ever other undulation his backside touched down. Didn't look good to me.

The Mynd is plain silly, at Camphill they have their end we had ours, more or less, but on the Mynd, 50kts glider and 10kts Paragliders all sharing the same airspace, very uncomfortable.

The ones hat impressed me most were in the Alps. Little tiny handkerchiefs, thousands of feet above, that must be awesome. And dangerous, I'll tell you a story.....

I was upgrading a machine in Grantown on Spey, chatting to the biker owner about where we'd been on ours and Chamonix came up. I showed him some pictures of the Aiguile and some paragliders and he said that a young man from Grantown had a school there training and doing tandem flights but the a week or so before he launched tandem, a gust caught them slammed them into the mountain. Both dead. For all I know I may have been showing him a picture of this lad taken a year earlier.

Grantown on Spey. Magnificent area and there seems to be a top class campsite there, never visited with MH but it's on the list. It's all different up there. The Laird really is boss. The story goes that people were very keen to develop Grantown as a ski resort by the the Laird said NO and so Aviemore became the ski resort.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Ive got a 53 cell XL wing (up to 130kg) if your interested. Comes with harness/seat, speed bar and a big 'ol rucksack to carry it all up the hill :Eeek:

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
I did a tandem jump in Olu Deniz, Turkey, I 'd been diving for two weeks and used to watch them from the resort pool. The jump was fantastic and would do it again however two people had died the week before.

Regards, john

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Ive got a 53 cell XL wing (up to 130kg) if your interested. Comes with harness/seat, speed bar and a big 'ol rucksack to carry it all up the hill :Eeek:

Thanks for the offer, but can I take a rain check on that as I don't have enough on the subject yet to make a decision.

But in the mean time you can give me some more detail, EI age, use, price,damage, life expectancy ect ect.

Doug...

lufcdave7

Free Member
May 12, 2009
Rochdale
Funster No
Exp
1 year
Hi Doug
I fly paramotors and paragliders, be happy to answer your questions, if I can. Fire away or pm me if you prefer.
Dave

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
It's like parachuting: if at first you don't succeed, give up...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back