Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
I decided yesterday to flush out my fresh water tank on our Hymer 564, and so filled it up until the LCD display said it was 100% full. I then went inside the motorhome and turned on the taps. After much spluttering some water came out but it certainly wasn't pouring out as it should. i then went outside the motorhome and I saw that water was pouring out of a pipe located toward the rear of the vehicle. I have looked in the manual to see hat this pipe is but can find no reference to it at all, but needless to say it carried on pouring out even with the taps inside turned off, until the tank was empty.

Studying the manual again today I read that there is a safety system that opens a valve when the temperature goes 8 degrees or lower. According to the manual, this valve is close to the waste water tap. I had a look and found the valve, opened it and water started coming out. I assume that this was water from the boiler.

The main flow of water yesterday was not from this valve but from a pipe on the other side of the van which seems to be located under where the boiler sits. There seems to be no tap for this pipe.

I'm confused as hell by this and no matter how much I read the manual i can't seem to comprehend why the van would dump all of the water for no apparent reason.

Anyone got any ideas?

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
It could be the auto dump for the water tank, maybe the fact that you filled it with cold water was enough to lower the temp so it dumped, the boiler usualy has a seperate manual drain point.

regards, John

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
It could be the auto dump for the water tank, maybe the fact that you filled it with cold water was enough to lower the temp so it dumped, the boiler usualy has a seperate manual drain point.

regards, John

Ok, so if the tank has an auto dump and it's related to temperature how am I going to get around this problem when we are in France within a few weeks, it'll be colder there so does that mean i'm not going to be able to carry a full tank of water?

Sorry for the daft question but i'm a bit concerned about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There is normally a dump valve next to the Truma. It trips on low temp. Black valve with red knob. Because they can be too sensitive a trick is to put a clothes peg on to stop it dropping. This is very dangerous of course if you leave the peg on and it does freeze.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If your truma does space heating as well then just turn it on to warm it up to overcome the low temp dump valve.

BTW although this valve opens automatically it must be closed manually. Saves blushes when filling up on site. :Blush:

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
There is normally a dump valve next to the Truma. It trips on low temp. Black valve with red knob. Because they can be too sensitive a trick is to put a clothes peg on to stop it dropping. This is very dangerous of course if you leave the peg on and it does freeze.

Right, got you...........this lark is more involved than I first thought.

Another silly question then. These that go skiing in their motorhomes, how do they keep water on board from not freezing when the temperature is possibly well below zero?

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
BTW although this valve opens automatically it must be closed manually. Saves blushes when filling up on site. :Blush:

Thanks for that! That will save me even more confusion when I try filling it again tomorrow :Doh: Just need to find the valve now!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
im sure a member with the same van will be along soon to help.

it sounds as though the main fresh tank drain valve is open.

i dont think the auto boiler dump will drain the fresh tank as the boiler will be after the pump, which should stop water draining out to the boiler and the dump valve.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
These that go skiing in their motorhomes, how do they keep water on board from not freezing when the temperature is possibly well below zero?

I guess the first thing is to buy a winterised MH which has extra insulation, double floors, but even that can fail if it's cold enough. I had a little freeze up, it was a pipe at the back of a cupboard so didn't get much warmth. I hadn't thrown enough money at it, had the heating too low.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Another silly question then. These that go skiing in their motorhomes, how do they keep water on board from not freezing when the temperature is possibly well below zero?

if the fresh tank is inside the van and the van is relatively warm then it shouldnt freeze.

on my kontiki its under the dinette seat and at last new years meet it was well below freezing outside but it didnt freeze.

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
im sure a member with the same van will be along soon to help.

it sounds as though the main fresh tank drain valve is open.

i dont think the auto boiler dump will drain the fresh tank as the boiler will be after the pump, which should stop water draining out to the boiler and the dump valve.

Interesting. After I filled up the fresh water tank I did nothing other than turn on the taps. My thought was that I would fill the fresh water tank up, run the water out of all of the taps thus filling up the grey water tank, empty the grey water tank. Job done, system flushed with fresh water. The fresh water tank does have a plug in it that you can use to empty it, if this is the drain valve you refer to then this is not where the water was coming from.

if the fresh tank is inside the van and the van is relatively warm then it shouldnt freeze.

on my kontiki its under the dinette seat and at last new years meet it was well below freezing outside but it didnt freeze.

The fresh tank is under the floor of the living area and from what I can see it's not open to the elements underneath the van.

Last edited:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years

Just leave your heating on very low.

As to your water coming out, I have a Burstner, same group as Hymer so maybe the same tank, if you remove the lid, about 6" diameter on mine, you'll find a simple sink plug which may have been 'blown' out by the force of the water during filling.

Worth a quick check anyway.

Oops too late, typing's not up to scratch.

Last edited:

chrissie

Free Member
Nov 13, 2008
Funster No
If the power is still on to the pump & the auto dump valve operates due to the temperature drop the pump will empty your tank & the pump can run dry & fail. In France last year I had the dump valve open with the boiler on & the inlet pipe to the boiler also froze. I found that there was a safety drop out hole & when the boiler was on it was drawing cold air in below the boiler & causing the dump valve to open. I have since fitted a piece of board to act as a baffle to keep some heat below the boiler & keep the valve above the temperature which it can open.

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
Just leave your heating on very low.

As to your water coming out, I have a Burstner, same group as Hymer so maybe the same tank, if you remove the lid, about 6" diameter on mine, you'll find a simple sink plug which may have been 'blown' out by the force of the water during filling.

Worth a quick check anyway.

Oops too late, typing's not up to scratch.

Is that actually in the fresh water tank that you are referring to? If so, it's a little plug on mine which was in. Also, this wasn't where the water was coming out from.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
It was but that's obviously not the problem. My van also has a manual dump valve close to the auto one, is yours the same? Can't imagine how it could have been opened though.:Cool:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
There is normally a dump valve next to the Truma. It trips on low temp. Black valve with red knob.

Next to that Dump valve is there a piece of hose with a valve which has a small red 'Switch' ?
If so,that 'switch' should be in the horizontal position ie lying flat against the hose.
I moved mine into the 'upright' position whilst trying to sort out heating on our 1st trip and drained all the water ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Never rely on contents gauges ever:whatthe:
fill it visually if possible
Could you have over filled and caused the tank to pressurise then self syphon via the over fill pipe (it will have one ):thumb:
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9

Not a silly question at all.

What we do is when we are traveling we use the peg system. When traveling in the mountains the temp can really drop we use the webasto heating or leave the g gas on. keeping the van warm.
When we are on site its not a problem as the van is warm anyway. The water tank is in side so it doesn't freeze when lived in.

I came home from work the other night and heard the rushing of water, mine too was having a dump:cry:

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
It was but that's obviously not the problem. My van also has a manual dump valve close to the auto one, is yours the same? Can't imagine how it could have been opened though.:Cool:

Next to that Dump valve is there a piece of hose with a valve which has a small red 'Switch' ?
If so,that 'switch' should be in the horizontal position ie lying flat against the hose.
I moved mine into the 'upright' position whilst trying to sort out heating on our 1st trip and drained all the water ::bigsmile:

I don't know the answer to that, i'll check tomorrow.

Never rely on contents gauges ever:whatthe:
fill it visually if possible
Could you have over filled and caused the tank to pressurise then self syphon via the over fill pipe (it will have one ):thumb:
Geo

I thought that might be the case but it doesn't explain why the entire tank emptied.

Not a silly question at all.

What we do is when we are traveling we use the peg system. When traveling in the mountains the temp can really drop we use the webasto heating or leave the g gas on. keeping the van warm.
When we are on site its not a problem as the van is warm anyway. The water tank is in side so it doesn't freeze when lived in.

I came home from work the other night and heard the rushing of water, mine too was having a dump:cry:

:ROFLMAO: I'll have to make sure I keep a suitable peg back for this purpose. As you say, if we are in the van the heating will more than likely be on...........that is until we run out of gas of course which is another problem altogether!

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
My Truma (2003 Ace Capri) has a yellow drain down valve- same as page 18 on motorcaravanning handbook (Haynes)

jenkothewanderer

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hymer Losing Water

I have a Hymer B584 double floor model (04 Reg). On my vehicle I have the boiler dump valve which is closed when lifted and dumps at low temp but this does not appear to be your problem. Also you should have hot & cold dump valves which on my vehicle are situated in the rear nearside underfloor locker next to the grey water dump valve. They are not easy to see and on my vehicle are small knurled knobs one red ,one blue. They are used for draining down the vehicle completely as well as taking out the plug in the freshwater tank and also opening the boiler dump valve. You must also open all the sink taps to release pressure and allow water to drain.
You do not require to pump the water out just let gravity take its course.
From what you describe it would appear either one or both of these valves are open.
On my vehicle these dump valves drain through approx 15mm pipes which can be seen at the rear nearside.
Hope this helps.
Ps. You will not fully drain down your vehicle for winter by just pumping the fresh water tank dry and opening the boiler valve.
1. Pull plug on freshwater tank.
2. Open boiler valve and let drain completely.
3. Open all sink taps.
4. Open both hot and cold dump valves and drain completely.
5. When completely drained close sink taps. It is easy to forget taps are open and if you switch on 12v during winter the pump will run dry and could cause damage.

bill2b

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
what a coo'incidence.
We have just had the same problem ish
On the way to a night in norfolk i tried to wash my hands after filling the diesel at the petrol station, the pump just seemed to run and run and nothing came out of the taps. When we got to our stop i tried to sort the taps and hey ho when the pump was running water pizzed out from the heater unit area.
A quick pull of the red knob and the water loss stopped.
Obviously the anti frost thingy went off znd it didnt tell me lol, so a rather large quantity of our onboard water was lost during our diagnostics .
You live and learn he he
:roflmto:

OP
OP
stevegreen

stevegreen

Free Member
May 3, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
1st year
Well, I eventually found the automatic drain valve for the heater and it was up so that explains the loss of water. The peg suggestion will come in very handy when we are somewhere colder than normal but I understand the risks of that particular work around.

Thanks to everyone for their replies, most useful and much appreciated.

Quality forums are made by quality members! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back