Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Postie just delivered mine 5 minutes ago - out in the sticks, miles from anywhere, he takes a long time to get here.

Haven't looked at it yet.

Looking forward to the matching DVD, now.

John

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Postie just delivered mine 5 minutes ago.

Looking forward to the matching DVD, now.
The DVD is far superior plus of course it comes with complete road mapping as well as gps. You won't be disappointed.

I'll tell you how 'good' the book is. I offered my 2009 issue free to anyone on mhf......nobody was interested! I couldn't even give the damn thing away!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I notice that the gps coordinates are in non decimal format which is a pain given that all others in my favourites are decimalised.

S

stagman

Deleted User
The DVD is far superior plus of course it comes with complete road mapping as well as gps. You won't be disappointed.

I'll tell you how 'good' the book is. I offered my 2009 issue free to anyone on mhf......nobody was interested! I couldn't even give the damn thing away!!

Yes will probabally get the DVD later , Thanks. But if you have a 2010 issue going free I am sure you will have plenty of takers ::bigsmile:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I will be putting my copy up for sale shortly along with my copy of.... All The Aires,Camperstop so watch this space!!!:winky::winky:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No

what did you expect? you're really buying the card - so 2009 is now worthless, well, no - it's good for another 26 days :RollEyes:

thought the new book looked lovely n thick - [just like me eh!! :ROFLMAO:]

:winky:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
what did you expect? you're really buying the card - so 2009 is now worthless, well, no - it's good for another 26 days :RollEyes:
The card proved to be pretty much useless and the book wasn't exactly much to rave about either. :RollEyes:

Example; the 2009 book lists just three sites in the UK. I know we are a small island but that's just pathetic. :roflmto:

The DVD lists five hundered and four sites in the UK.

For those with the 2010 book.....out of interest just how many sites does it list for the UK?

S

stagman

Deleted User
For those with the 2010 book.....out of interest just how many sites does it list for the UK?[/QUOTE]

23 UK sites . But the reason we bought it was for mainland Europe .:thumb:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Mine came too, with the 2009 copy I must have saved at least £100 this year, not bad for a £11 outlay.:thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
For those with the 2010 book.....out of interest just how many sites does it list for the UK?
23 UK sites . But the reason we bought it was for mainland Europe .:thumb:
Staggering.....Stagman::bigsmile:

That's a mind boggling twenty more sites than the 2009! At that rate it will take twenty five years to get to the amount on the 2009 DVD. :roflmto:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
The card proved to be pretty much useless and the book wasn't exactly much to rave about either. :RollEyes:

Example; the 2009 book lists just three sites in the UK. I know we are a small island but that's just pathetic. :roflmto:

The DVD lists five hundered and four sites in the UK.

ACSI produce a perfectly good guide book and dvd of sites that have passed their inspection criteria in Europe
they also do a discount scheme - covering far less sites -
this is the book I thought we were talking about - sorry for any misunderstandings
if UK sites cannot see any advantage in joining the discount scheme then - imo - that's their loss - I believe that Camping Cheques have a similar low score in the UK - I would say that gives a more negative overview of UK sites [and possibly the monopoly of Club sites] than it does about ACSI and CC
Like most people - we buy for the mainland coverage not the feeble effort in the UK - since we prefer to spend our holiday time and money where we are welcomed and not treated like pariahs or mugs to be ripped off

[oops - rant done - off for coffee n mince pies ::bigsmile:]

xxJ :ROFLMAO:

exmusso

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
15 Years
Received mine this morning as well.

Slightly surprised to see quite a few of the UK sites priced at (only) 11 Euros.
Wonder if they would accept payment in Euros as we still have some left.

I managed to eventually prise the 2009 ACSI book from the owner of a campsite in Sicily in January this year - he had the only one.

Used it to good effect travelling back home again through Italy, France, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Belgium.

Cheers,
Alan.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
ACSI produce a perfectly good guide book and dvd of sites that have passed their inspection criteria in Europe
they also do a discount scheme - covering far less sites -
this is the book I thought we were talking about - sorry for any misunderstandings
if UK sites cannot see any advantage in joining the discount scheme then - imo - that's their loss.

Like most people - we buy for the mainland coverage not the feeble effort in the UK.
I used the example of the sites listed in the UK purely as that......an example, and also to compare that identical example with the listing on the DVD.

That the '09 book lists just three UK sites is pathetic. It also has nothing whatsover to do with those same sites being unable to 'see any advantage in joining the discount scheme', as there are another 501 ACSI inspected/approved sites in the UK.....they just aren't listed in the guide book. But they are there on the DVD which is why, in my opinion (for what it's worth), the DVD presents far better value for money than the book.

I've repeated the above before but it seems you did not quite understand it?

I also bought the guide for use in other european countries but as I live in the UK it would have been useful to have had those same listings in the book. Here in the UK, we are after all a european country......or am I missing out on something?
Fortunately I bought the DVD so I have no need for the book. Apparently neither does anyone else as I could not even give it away so it's gone in the bin.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I think this is becoming very confusing, the DVD and ACSI Camping card and its free guide, the small booklet sized guide which has for 2010 some 1891 site, are both totally different things.

The ACSI DVD is a full blown Campsite Guide book showing all of the sites that have been inspected by ACSI, which is very good value, but its only a Guide Book.

The ACSI Camping Card which includes its own FREE small booklet sized guide book is solely for the ACSI camping Card, and it only shows the 1891 campsites that accept the Camping Card, it doesn't purport to compete with the DVD its only reason for being compiled is to list the 1891 sites that offer the discount, its not a General Campsite Guide Book its just issued free with the camping card

The DVD will show those 1891 sites as well but you won't get the discount unless you have purchased the ACSI Camping Card, which as i have said comes with its free small guide book.

Hope that helps

Oh, and I got mine this morning also,

I used the example of the sites listed in the UK purely as that......an example, and also to compare that identical example with the listing on the DVD.

That the '09 book lists just three UK sites is pathetic. It also has nothing whatsover to do with those same sites being unable to 'see any advantage in joining the discount scheme', as there are another 501 ACSI inspected/approved sites in the UK.....they just aren't listed in the guide book. But they are there on the DVD which is why, in my opinion (for what it's worth), the DVD presents far better value for money than the book.

I've repeated the above before but it seems you did not quite understand it?

I also bought the guide for use in other european countries but as I live in the UK it would have been useful to have had those same listings in the book. Here in the UK, we are after all a european country......or am I missing out on something?
Fortunately I bought the DVD so I have no need for the book. Apparently neither does anyone else as I could not even give it away so it's gone in the bin.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi,

I think this is becoming very confusing, the DVD and ACSI Camping card and its free guide, the small booklet sized guide which has for 2010 some 1891 site, are both totally different things.

The ACSI DVD is a full blown Campsite Guide book showing all of the sites that have been inspected by ACSI, which is very good value, but its only a Guide Book.

The ACSI Camping Card which includes its own FREE small booklet sized guide book is solely for the ACSI camping Card, and it only shows the 1891 campsites that accept the Camping Card......
You are right......it is becoming very confusing.

Since when has a DVD been 'a book'?

As for the Camping card, i'm not sure how yours came but my '09 came with a Guide book which cost me £10.50. It certainly wasn't 'free'.

The DVD came in at a much better price at just five euro from a helpful Dutch ACSI inspector staying at the same site as myself, in Germany earlier this year.

What some won't know about as they are not listed on the ACSI webshop site, is there are more definitive and comprehensive guides published. The inspector guy was quite surprised when I told him they were not listed in the webshop.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The DVD acts as the same as a Guide Book but on magnetic media.

When you purchased the ACSI Camping Card, that's what you purchased, the ACSI Camping Card, you didn't purchase a ACSI small guide book,

The small guide book comes free with the ACSI Camping Card, you only pay for the Camping Card, so please don't confuse the 2 things.

The DVD is a Full Blown Guide Book on a DVD, the small guide book that comes free when you purchase the Camping Card, is not an alternative guide book and its not given free with the Camping Card as a direct competition to the DVD its only given free with the camping card so people can see what and where the campsites that participate in the Camping Card scheme are to be found.

Please don't confuse the 2 products, the DVD is a very good guide book on a DVD and works extremely well if you purchase one then you are purchasing a Campsite Guide. If you purchase a ACSI Camping Card then you are purchasing a Discount Card that can only be used as certain campsites, you aren't purchasing a Campsite guide, so please don't compare the 2 they are not the same thing.

You can purchase either from this link

https://webshop.acsi.eu/index.html?aff=1000&tid=2&lid=33

You are right......it is becoming very confusing.

Since when has a DVD been 'a book'?

As for the Camping card, i'm not sure how yours came but my '09 came with a Guide book which cost me £10.50. It certainly wasn't 'free'.

The DVD came in at a much better price at just five euro from a helpful Dutch ACSI inspector staying at the same site as myself, in Germany earlier this year.

What some won't know about as they are not listed on the ACSI webshop site, is there are more definitive and comprehensive guides published. The inspector guy was quite surprised when I told him they were not listed in the webshop.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi,

The DVD acts as the same as a Guide Book but on magnetic media.

When you purchased the ACSI Camping Card, that's what you purchased, the ACSI Camping Card, you didn't purchase a ACSI small guide book
OK it seems we are splitting hairs here.

My definition of a DVD is a disc with written information and/or photographs on.....it's a plastic disc.

My definition of a book is an item formed entirely of paper and cardboard with written information and/or photographs. It has never been, and never will be, a plastic DVD disc. It's physical qualities are totally dissimilar to that of a plastic disc and therefore will never become 'a book'. Yes, encyclopaedias are available on DVD, but once on that DVD it is no longer 'a book'.....it's a DVD or plastic disc if you prefer.

As to the "free" book, the card comes on the front inside cover of the "free" book so both these items come together as one for which a charge of £10.50 is made. So it's not "free" after all.

If you read through your own post you will see how confused you yourself have become with this idea of "free" when within one sentence you contradict yourself by first stating, 'the small guide book that comes free when you purchase the Camping Card, is not an alternative guide book and its not given free with the Camping Card', and then in the very same line state, 'its only given free with the camping card'.

Quite where you get this idea of "free" from I really don't know as even ACSI themselves make no mention of anything being given out "free". You and I appear to differ on this in that I see neither being "free" as you have paid £10.50.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Which isn't at all FUN.

What the hell, they are both essential for a MHer provided they have a windows computer of course but otherwise only one is essential and the other is an expensive place mat.

And of course neither is a blind bit of use if left behind at home.

Deleted User

My definition of a DVD is a disc with written information and/or photographs on.....it's a plastic disc.

My definition of a book is an item formed entirely of paper and cardboard with written information and/or photographs. It has never been, and never will be, a plastic DVD disc. It's physical qualities are totally dissimilar to that of a plastic disc and therefore will never become 'a book'. Yes, encyclopaedias are available on DVD, but once on that DVD it is no longer 'a book'.....it's a DVD or plastic disc if you prefer.

As to the "free" book, the card comes on the front inside cover of the "free" book so both these items come together as one for which a charge of £10.50 is made. So it's not "free" after all.

If you read through your own post you will see how confused you yourself have become with this idea of "free" when within one sentence you contradict yourself by first stating, 'the small guide book that comes free when you purchase the Camping Card, is not an alternative guide book and its not given free with the Camping Card', and then in the very same line state, 'its only given free with the camping card'.

Quite where you get this idea of "free" from I really don't know as even ACSI themselves make no mention of anything being given out "free". You and I appear to differ on this in that I see neither being "free" as you have paid £10.50.

Many years ago when I was teacher it became apparent to me that no matter how many times a simple concept was explained to some children it would never sink in.

ACSI DISCOUNT CARD does what it says at the sites contained in the DISCOUNT SCHEME BOOK.

ACSI CAMPSITE GUIDE DVD is just that. NO DISCOUNT

SIMPLES....

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Come on guys, let's not spoil a good thread with unnecessary squabbling! Without wanting to take sides, the 2009 Campingcard guide was reported to have sold out. If it was not good value, the 2010 will not sell out, I guess.

Change of direction - I own a mini-laptop (netbook) which I take touring. The netbook does not have a DVD drive, so I have asked ACSI whether I can transfer the data from my main computer or are there copy-protection systems in place to stop this. I will keep you posted, because I guess netbooks are popular with with MHers.

Steve

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Many years ago when I was teacher it became apparent to me that no matter how many times a simple concept was explained to some children it would never sink in.

ACSI DISCOUNT CARD does what it says at the sites contained in the DISCOUNT SCHEME BOOK.

ACSI CAMPSITE GUIDE DVD is just that. NO DISCOUNT

SIMPLES....
Oh brother.....i'm not wasting any more time knocking when nobody is in. :RollEyes: :Wacko:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Without wanting to take sides, the 2009 Campingcard guide was reported to have sold out. If it was not good value, the 2010 will not sell out, I guess.
Offered to give my 2009 guide book away for free but nobody wanted it so its gone in the bin now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back