Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got an 07 Pug boxer ( pre facelift ) and just had it on the weigh bridge

The weight plate on the front cross member has the following

Now according to the above, adding the front and rear axle weights it comes to 3970 kilos..

On the weigh bridge this morning it came out at 1720 on the front, 1980 on the rear giving a total of of 3700k

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo

1) what is that 5500k ?
2) Although the van is in total over 3500k the axle weights are greater..

This was with the van loaded but not fully loaded ! :Smile:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
So even with just clothes, little food, no water and a few tools I am 200k over weight !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
Do you have any other plates such as a convertors quite often located in the stair wells of the doors? Otherwise it look like you need to get on to Svtech to see if you can uprate it.

Out of interest does the V5 have a max weight on it?

Derek

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The V5 says 3500 as well

To say I am pee'd off is an understatement
Just took everything ( food, clothing hu cables, tools etc etc ) out of it and it comes in at 3490 without a passenger

So basically I have been sold a van that is not legally able to carry two people let alone any kit !

No point in moaning to Miller as they NEVER reply to any questions or mails at all and whenever contacted my fone I just get fobbed off

Soooo

All I can do is have the suspension uprated and it replated ..

Anyone know of somewhere in the Norfolk area that can do it ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
3500kg is the gross weight

5500kg is the train weight....total weight of van (3500kg) plus trailer and load (2000kg)

the axle weights will always add up to more than the gross to allow for uneven loading but the gross should never be exceeded...

ie: if the rear actually weights 2120kg then the front cannot weigh more than 1380kg and visa versa, light rear/heavy front, and this applies no matter what the weight but the stated axle weights or the gross weight must never be exceeded.

unfortunately you are overloaded by 200kg regardless of being under the max axle weights.

if you arent fully loaded what will it weigh when you are.

think you need to lighten the load some how or get the van re-plated to a higher gross weight.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
SVTech will be able to replate and from what i read it can be done without them even seeing the van.

basicly a paper excersize and you just send the documents..V5 etc.

What we need from you - for all applications -
  • Your company name, address and postal code.
  • a contact name, and telephone number
  • the weight at which you wish to operate the vehicle
  • a photocopy of the vehicle's plating certificate. If this is the one out of the cab we also need the tyre sizes
  • the name of your preferred goods vehicle testing station
  • unladen weight ticket
you should be able to go to 3850kg i think.

worth giving them a ring to verify the proccess:thumb:

SV Tech

Last edited:

camper69

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
North Bucks
Funster No
Exp
So basically I have been sold a van that is not legally able to carry two people let alone any kit !

I would be finding out what my rights are if this were me. As you cannot get in to legally drive it it should fall foul of the sales of goods act.

Derek

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I will try and keep it as simple as possible

the first thing to say is you are overloaded and need to address that immediately

the figure of 3500 is your maximum gross weight for the van
the figure of 5500 is your maximum train weight
the figure of 1850 is the maximum weight on your front axle
the figure of 2120 is the maximum weight on your rear axle

the difference between the axle weights and your gross weight is the leaway built into the van to make loading easier

Please don't forget that the figure of 3500 is as you are on the road that includes driver passengers bags bottle of water sandwiches etc etc - if you put it in the vehicle and go on the road it will be weighed so that is the weight you need to get - if as papajohn says get the vehicle uprated can not be achieved then you need to consider a small trailer to balance your load.

Personally I think that VOSA will be using their many enhanced powers to check weigh more an more motor homes in the coming year.

Also bear in mind that as soon as you pass the magic 3500kg figure or hook a trailer on license / insurance / speed limits etc all change

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi All
Had a similar problem with our van, one phone call and SV tech issued an uprated chassis plate. :thumb:
We could have gone to 3850kg with no changes or 4200kgs depending on what tyres were fitted.
Like i said one phone call problem solved.

regards...nige

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I had the same issue.

I now weigh 4t thanks to a phone call a paper exchange and £230 notes paid to SVtech.

Your choice,

as said, think the more popular motorhoming has become the more likely VOSA are to be weighing vans. I have seen an increase lately of VOSA vans on the road..
There are some being weighed hotspots occuring

Even at 4t I am still only just under when fully loaded.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
thanks for the info..

As I see it I am pretty well stuffed whichever way I go

Trying to take legal action will take anything up to several years and lord only knows what the costs will be

Uprating it to over 3.5t will mean 40mph on all roads cept motorways

I think my best bet will be to go through everything and shed as much weight as I possibly can

It will make a bit of a mockery of the whole thing ( the bloody van is SUPPOSED to be a 7 berth.. I can only presume it is aimed at folk who are 4 ft tall and weight less than 20 kilos )

If I am careful I reckon I can get it down under the 3.5k ..

Oh and just foned up SV Tech .. Sorry, there is no one here to take your call..
DOH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Uprating the van..
I believe that I will be limited to 40mph on all A roads ?
And did it affect the road tax when you did yours ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Uprating the van..
I believe that I will be limited to 40mph on all A roads ?
And did it affect the road tax when you did yours ?

No you will not be restricted to 40mph on a roads
the van will be classed as a private hgv so no tacho
tax is cheaper and will be changed when you complete transfer
insurance will need notifying but wont care.
and thats it really.,

SV tech probably finish early on a friday but very helpful people.:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You sir, have just made a fat old bloke happy !!

I was starting to get really down about it all !

Many thanks for all the iinfo and help to one and all :thumb:::bigsmile:

Rickboy

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Funster No
Don't be hasty.

You sir, have just made a fat old bloke happy !!

I was starting to get really down about it all !

Many thanks for all the iinfo and help to one and all :thumb:::bigsmile:

Don't be too hasty . M/H's are rated at under 3500Kg to come in line with regulations in your favour. Look into M.O.T 's. New French speed limits for vehicles over 3500 kg
Road tolls,driving licence requirements.People who have gone to the trouble of upping the weight will of course think it was the right thing for them.Consider all the pros and cons then make up your own mind its not clear cut.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Licence no issue, France ? Not a problem as I bloody hate the place and avoid it like the plague ::bigsmile: ( always head straight for Belgium and up round Germany.. greedy rip off French and Swiss road tolls ( trolls !!! ) are not for me :winky: ), MOT is not an issue
I have to use the Forestry Commision testing centre anyway as none of the local 'normal' places are big enough to get the van in to !

Yup, all in all I cannot see much of a downside to upsizing the plate rate ( though appreciate your input and caution )

Oh and the other option is simply flog the van off and give up motorhoming as there is no way I could get anywhere near what I paid for the thing as it is not road legal and I will never in this lifetime be able to afford that sort of large again !!
I suppose I could take out the fridge, oven, the rear bunks, not carry woman with me, no food and keep clothes to a minimum but that does not seem like too much fun to be honest . 200kilos is not that easy to get rid of :Eeek:

Given the options I do not think I have too many choices really

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the only real disadvantage, such as it is, of up-plating is the re-sale market.

it would be restricted to drivers with a C1 licence only.

drivers tested since '97 dont have C1 entitlement unless a further test is taken and a lot of newer drivers may not have this on their licence.

just a minor restriction when selling but if you intend keeping the van then no problem.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Being realistic ( and taking in to account the dosh I have spent on the old girl with the sat system etc ) I cannot see us selling it on in the near future

It does fit our needs so well too.. We would def be hard pushed to find something that can do the same as the Miller without the physical size ( and of course with size comes weight )

I will be on the fone to SV Tech on Monday and let you know how I get on :Smile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Simplest and easiest way is to put a hook on the back and tow a trailer - you can go up to 2 tonnes if you want to then put all the things you only need for long trips in there and then for a couple of nights rough it for long trips you can take all you want. And before someone asks no you can't put the missis in the trailer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
the only real disadvantage, such as it is, of up-plating is the re-sale market.

it would be restricted to drivers with a C1 licence only.

drivers tested since '97 dont have C1 entitlement unless a further test is taken and a lot of newer drivers may not have this on their licence.

just a minor restriction when selling but if you intend keeping the van then no problem.

I thought of that John but then thought I would advertise it, I would then offer the option and if they wanted to change it, knock £230 off the price.:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Simplest and easiest way is to put a hook on the back and tow a trailer - you can go up to 2 tonnes if you want to then put all the things you only need for long trips in there and then for a couple of nights rough it for long trips you can take all you want. And before someone asks no you can't put the missis in the trailer:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LOL !! As if I do not get enough grief from SWMBO !!!!
After towing trailers for years ( and yes, I still do sometimes if I take one of the big bikes along ) I REALLY hate doing it !
Do not really know why.. I guess it maybe years do dragging awful bits of mechanical mahem behind me ( Tis only in more recent years my car transporter and bike trailers have actually become road legal than a form of road kill ! ) that has turned me off a bit !

And yes, it is easy to downplate as well as upplate ( easier by the looks of it ! ) so that would not actually be a problem.. Point well put good sir Hag ! :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I thought of that John but then thought I would advertise it, I would then offer the option and if they wanted to change it, knock £230 off the price.:thumb:

i too, thought of that but then its putting the problem on the new buyer, unless its a trade-in then its tough:Doh::roflmto:, and you wouldnt want the buyer turning up at your door shouting the odds and theatening court action, would you?:Angry:

in my mind the manufactures/convertors are under no obligation to provide any payload allowance whatsoever over the essensial fluids, gas, driver etc etc but logic says you do need a fair allowance so it looks as though this particular Millar model is to be avoided.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
i too, thought of that but then its putting the problem on the new buyer, unless its a trade-in then its tough:Doh::roflmto:, and you wouldnt want the buyer turning up at your door shouting the odds and theatening court action, would you?:Angry:

in my mind the manufactures/convertors are under no obligation to provide any payload allowance whatsoever over the essensial fluids, gas, driver etc etc but logic says you do need a fair allowance so it looks as though this particular Millar model is to be avoided.

sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I would ask them what they wanted it to be and then negotiate the price accordingly.
Ie if they wanted at 4t because they had no restrictions then sell as is.
If they wanted it downplated, do it for them and adjust the price to suit.

John you know I would never rip anyone off:winky:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Update
Got through to SV Tech this morning

The guy took my email address and fone number saying he would mail me a form to fill out

almost 3 hours later and not a sausage..

This is definitely not a fone call only to sort out thing.. The guy said it could take up to 8 weeks to get sorted.
At the present rate of progress that could well be 8 months ! LOL !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Update
Got through to SV Tech this morning

The guy took my email address and fone number saying he would mail me a form to fill out

almost 3 hours later and not a sausage..

This is definitely not a fone call only to sort out thing.. The guy said it could take up to 8 weeks to get sorted.
At the present rate of progress that could well be 8 months ! LOL !!

have you looked in your SPAM folder ?

or send them an email incase they wrote yours wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got it !! :thumb:
Seems they only send mail every few hours for some reason !

Got the form and info.. Up'ing it to 3850 is a paper dealy indeed persakerly as you clever lot said it would be ::bigsmile:

If I want to go higher I will have to have air assist fitted.. The info said they can quote me for that so I have asked for said quote..

But....... Thinking about it.
If I dump the top box, some of the 23,000 chairs I carry, one or two of the wind breaks, and a few HU leads I would probably be ok with the 3850 limit ..
I will have to do some careful weighing and figuring ( and possibly dieting ! ) to see what I can get away with

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, further update this morning
I ended up phoning them back ( listening to what was going on in the background the poor so and so's are flat out all the time so no worries to fone them ) and got the low down on the air assist kits

I can fit the kit myself and once fitted apply for the uprate to 4100k

Kit is about £300 plus drat and I will be ordering it this morning ( if I can find a credit card with some room on it ! LOL !! )

Must say after a shakey start the people of SVTech have been absolutely wonderful and could not be more help..

Many thanks to those who recomended I contact them ! :thumb:

As thing move along I shall keep posting so anyone caught in a similar predicament can see whats what

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
I uprated my previous motorhome to 4100 with SV Tech after having air ride fitted. They will also want to know the size and load index of the tyres. I recall there is space on the form for that and I think the load index needs to be 113 for 215 75 R16 tyres.
They send a new plate and a design weight certificate. As mentioned the RFL is a bit cheaper and will be plated as PHG on the V5. Don,t forget to tell the insurance company. Should make no difference to the premium but I am told they need to record the info. Speed limits in this country for motorhomes over 3500 Kg are I believe 50mph normal single carriageway, 60 dual carriageway and 70 motorway. I,m sure someone will put me right if thats wrong.
Hope all gets sorted.
Just out of interest what was the overall weight when the whole vehicle was on the weighbridge. Not just the front and rear added together. Mine was never as much as adding the two axles together.
Regards, Dave
Further to the above, the speed limits appear to be governed by the unladen weight and the above limits apply if that is over 3050 KG,s which I suspect yours would be. If the unladen weight is under 3050kg then speed limits are 60 normal roads and 70 for dual carriageway and motorway

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Did not do the rear axle on its own to be honest, just the front axle and the whole van..
Whole van was 3700kg without grub or woman on board ! ( though a fair selection of more essential kit such as booze was tucked away ! )

My tyres are an issue. I am fairly sure they will need to be replaced as I think the max weight on each is only 1150kg ( which, thinking about it, is exceeded even now !!! )

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back