Family Tree question (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am in the process of building a family tree using genes reunited, is there any way to copy this tree into an office or pdf file.:Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not directly but you can create a Gedcom file from it. That can be imported to any genealogy database package and you can create reports from there. There is a large range of programs available. Personal Ancestral File (PAF) and Legacy can be downloaded for free. Others like Brothers Keeper and Genbox can be downloaded on a try before you buy basis.

One word of caution. If you create a Gedcom file and import it to one of the programs the first thing to do is to verify that the data has been transferred properly. We have had several GR Gedcom files sent to us for chart production in the past where the information has been corrupted in some way. It shouldn't be a long or difficult job but worth doing.

Graham

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

just to add to Graham's expert advice ,

I started just over a year ago and faffed about for several months with different on line hosts but finally settled with Tribal Pages .. It's arguably the best on line host, bar none.

http://tribalpages.com/

It's free to join and the basic package is free but you can upgrade for more facilities as you require.. you can download printable charts and the Gedom file for use with other packages.

You can also set several levels of security depending on how much you want casual visitors to view.. have a look at my front page, Link Removed

good luck.. it's a great hobby

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Not directly but you can create a Gedcom file from it. That can be imported to any genealogy database package and you can create reports from there. There is a large range of programs available. Personal Ancestral File (PAF) and Legacy can be downloaded for free. Others like Brothers Keeper and Genbox can be downloaded on a try before you buy basis.One word of caution. If you create a Gedcom file and import it to one of the programs the first thing to do is to verify that the data has been transferred properly. We have had several GR Gedcom files sent to us for chart production in the past where the information has been corrupted in some way. It shouldn't be a long or difficult job but worth doing. Graham

Thanks Graham I will do some research today, never come across a Gedcom file but I will make that my mission for today. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy so I will follow your links and see how I get on.
Thanks again for your quick reply

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

I have been using Family Tree Maker 2006 and yes it does create a PDF file.

Best prog I have used....

ShiftZZ

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
You could use a photo manipulation program, loads free on the net if you don't already have one, to save the text, convert it to a Jpeg, and then import it into word.

You can't manipulate it in word, but you can always re-open the jpeg file, alter it, and re-insert it.

Hope this helps.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi

I started just over a year ago and faffed about for several months with different on line hosts but finally settled with Tribal Pages .. It's arguably the best on line host, bar none.

It's free to join and the basic package is free but you can upgrade for more facilities as you require.. you can download printable charts and the Gedom file for use with other packages.

You can also set several levels of security depending on how much you want casual visitors to view.. have a look at my front page, Link Removed

jim

I think you are probably right about Tribal Pages Jim. Never used it myself but it has been around for years and seems to be set up better than others. Sites like Ancestry, GR and My Heritage are aimed more at on-line publication rather than production of printed charts and reports from word processors.

Hi
ShiftZZ
We use FTM 2006 more than any other for producing long banner charts. It is the easiest to use of the programs which produce charts automatically.
There are several programs now which will produce PDF files but beware that some of the PDF engines (including the one in FTM 2006) are not perfect and don't always create the graphical elements of charts correctly.

My own favourite charting program is TreeDraw. Jim will not be surprised to find that it is published by a Scottish company :Smile: It takes a fair amount of manual effort but can produce some very nice charts - and much more compact than the automatically generated ones.

Graham

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Hi

jim

Looks good Jim I use Myheritage Family tree with a rather large family tree over 900 people and 250 families. Is it possible to import a Gedcom file to your site?

Regards

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Looks good Jim I use Myheritage Family tree with a rather large family tree over 900 people and 250 families. Is it possible to import a Gedcom file to your site?

Regards

hi

yes, you can

jim

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi

ShiftZZ
Hi I also have been using Family tree maker but cannot find make pdf file. I have ver 7.5 have I missed a later edition or several.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi I also have been using Family tree maker but cannot find make pdf file. I have ver 7.5 have I missed a later edition or several.

Several :Smile: FTM 2006 is Version 16. Afraid I don't known when the PDF capability was introduced.

The company published a completely different program (FTM 2008, since upgraded to 2009 and 2010) after version 16 but FTM 2006 is still available from My History. I have no connection with My History except that the people who run it are friends who we get on with well when we see them at FH fairs :Smile:

Graham

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi just to add to Graham's expert advice , I started just over a year ago and faffed about for several months with different on line hosts but finally settled with Tribal Pages .. It's arguably the best on line host, bar none.
It's free to join and the basic package is free but you can upgrade for more facilities as you require.. you can download printable charts and the Gedom file for use with other packages. You can also set several levels of security depending on how much you want casual visitors to view.. have a look at my front page, Link Removed
good luck.. it's a great hobby jim

Thanks Jim I like the look of that one and Graham has now given it the nod so I will give it a go. Will have to keep your address handy you could be my help page.:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim I like the look of that one and Graham has now given it the nod so I will give it a go. Will have to keep your address handy you could be my help page.:thumb:

No problem.. there is also a TP help forum with a lot of good advice with some very helpful people who don't mind doing free 'look ups' .. I've had a lot of good leads from members when I was trying to find ancestors who emigrated to Canada in the 20 s.

I started off with the free version but have since up graded to the Deluxe .. see how you get on before shelling out hard earned..

jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
OK signed up but cannot see where i can upload my Gedcom? do you have to upgrade to enable this feature?

Hi

upload Gedcom is on the free version ..

Click on Edit and log in

you will see a box Files and Up Load Gedcom

see screenshot

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
For what it is worth, I tried several different programs and found problems with them all. Very often Gedcom files were not as universal as made out, requiring each time to re input all my data.

I now use Excel to make a family tree using the drawing facilities. I can use different worksheets for different sections of the famly, and use the Hypertext Links to take you from one sheet to another sheet, or to another file which may be a pdf of a photo, or an MP3 etc.

By doing this I feel more under control of the data e.g. I think Excel, PDF and MP3 files are more universal, and will be around a lot longer than many of these special FT program files. Also, when emailing any contacts I come across, I can attach an excel spreadsheet of just the relevant area of the tree which we have in common.

As an example of a situation in my tree which I have not found a FT package yet to display properly, My Fathers Mother married my Mothers Father( 2 nd marriage in each case).

Something to consider.

Pete

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
For what it is worth, I tried several different programs and found problems with them all. Very often Gedcom files were not as universal as made out, requiring each time to re input all my data.

I now use Excel to make a family tree using the drawing facilities. I can use different worksheets for different sections of the famly, and use the Hypertext Links to take you from one sheet to another sheet, or to another file which may be a pdf of a photo, or an MP3 etc.

By doing this I feel more under control of the data e.g. I think Excel, PDF and MP3 files are more universal, and will be around a lot longer than many of these special FT program files. Also, when emailing any contacts I come across, I can attach an excel spreadsheet of just the relevant area of the tree which we have in common.

As an example of a situation in my tree which I have not found a FT package yet to display properly, My Fathers Mother married my Mothers Father( 2 nd marriage in each case).

Something to consider.

Pete

Pete, rather you than me...
Interesting thought though...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Pete, rather you than me...
Interesting thought though...

Yes indeed.. downside to this method, (apart from dying before it's done.. :roflmto:) if it's not published on an ancestry site you won't find links to other trees..

I've had lots of people email me with information, the most notable was a guy from Glasgow who found his GGG grandmother on my tree.. we shared info and I had another branch of the Allan family I knew nothing about .. I've also found distant twin cousins in Canada, the grandfather emigrated in the 1920s

Also had people contact me from Australia and NZ .. all through visiting my tree ..

However, it's not always uplifting news, I found a family member who was shot by her husband who then committed suicide, and her daughter killed her new born child.., I have the court papers which I bought from the Scottish archives, she was sent to Duke St Prison in Glasgow for 6 months, she died at the age of 18, alone in a hospital in Isle of Cummrae, last time I was up I visited her grave... all very sad ..

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have been researching our family tree for over 20 years now and have used various different methods including FTM Genes etc . It is fascinating and becomes addictive!!
Robins family has been traced back to the 1700's and mine goes back to the 1600's.
My most famous ancester was hanged at Bodmin Gaol for sheep stealing, and some others were not too good either, but it does make it all the more interesting.
Hilary

Jul 27, 2007
West Yorks occasionally
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 560L
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Jim

Not suggestng a basic tree shouldn't be put on to a website like Reunited in order to make contacts, but my 'mastercopy' is in excel containing hyperlinks to my ancestor's court papers (yes I have convicts too) which are in pdf.

Everything can be kept on one CD with the excel file which autoruns as soon as the cd is put in, then hyperlink references open up other PDF files also on the cd, which can be scans of birth certs, wedding photos, or MP3 recordings of peoples recollections of their childhood.

A 'work in progress' copy can be useful so in the excel cells you can enter notes of research information for that person, with how far you have searched and where to check next.

Pete.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This problem tends to occur because some programs allow storage of items (photos & other media and notes the most common) which are not handled by the Gedcom standard.

Personally (remembering the keyword KISS from my IT days) I use Brothers Keeper to store most information but keep photos and large narrative files separately, linking them in charts if/when necessary.

Extensive extended family all over the world means I have in excess of 10,000 people in my database. Wouldn't like to try to keep track of that lot in Excel :Smile:

Try TreeDraw. It can handle most circumstances.

As regards skeletons in cupboards, when talking to prospective beginners at FH fairs we always advise not to start if you think you might get upset by anything you find. It is a rare family with nothing they would rather had not happened.

Graham

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
I am in the process of building a family tree using genes reunited, is there any way to copy this tree into an office or pdf file.:Sad:

Hi Buttons,

Creating pdf files seems to be a problem for many people. A useful solution is to get hold of a pdf creator program.

Once installed, you just select it in your print dialogue box, very very easy.

I use a program called JawsPDF however a cheaper option that seems to be used by many is Win2PDF.

This copied from their site:

• Install the Win2PDF software on your computer and it will load as a new printer called Win2PDF.
  • Open any application on your computer — Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Quicken, Outlook, or ANY program you happen to use.
  • Select Print from the file menu and choose the Win2PDF printer.
  • From the Win2PDF File Save dialog, choose a file name and save or e-mail the PDF file.
and here's the link: General info about Win2PDF

I'm not affiliated to them in any way, I just suggested the above option as it's about £20 cheaper, (for the Pro version) than the program I use.

The standard version's around £22 and the pro is approx. £42. If you don't need the extra features such as encryption found in the pro version, then the standard one should do fine.

I haven't done any searching, but there may even be free versions of similar type programs available. Worth a look.

Cheers

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back