Choosing and fitting reversing cameras (2 Viewers)

Rockingdodge

Free Member
Nov 6, 2009
Ross on Wye
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm looking at fitting a reversing/rear view camera on my Swift Kontiki 640L and am looking to your collective experiences as to the better cameras and monitors.
Whether to go for 2 dedicated or a remote control version.
What type of monitor i.e. ceiling mounted or removable dash mounted.
Where I can get a good deal.
And finally where best to route the cabling, guess that one is for whoever has the same m/home as me.

M&L

Free Member
Jan 26, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
There is an easy solution but it may not suit your needs and that is to use a wireless set up.
I bought one from Maplins for around £80, fixed it to the top of the number plate and drilled a hole through the back of the van to get the antenna cable inside.
I then wired the camera to the number plate light which of course will be adjacent.
The monitor then plugs into the dashboard 12v socket and when you want to use the camera put the sidelights on.
The picture is okay but may not be as good as a hard wired installation.

Mike

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I have just bought one of these, item number 300342029726 off ebay.

Due to my monitor going US. It's to replace a Kress and Bohl which is exactly the same.

I was toying with the idea of a repair, however finding the above at that price I thought that I may fit a second camera as the monitor as two inputs. But even if I don't I will have a spare.

I was very pleased with the K and B, it's Black and White with excellent night vision. One small point, mine is wired direct to the leisure battery's and I never realized that even with the monitor off it was still drawing a current. So if you do wire direct then I would recommend a switch or if leaving the van in storage for any length of time unplug the monitor.

Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Cheers Roy.

Please let us know how it performs?:thumb:

I am after a reversing camera and , although the lcd ones are tempting, they would not fit in with the rest of the "classic" build of the RV.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I originally used a security camera plugged into an old 5" B/W tv total cost under a tenner. Works fine. Have also seen old video cameras mounted and used in the dame way, loads of them chucked away and piled up at the tip.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
I originally used a security camera plugged into an old 5" B/W tv total cost under a tenner. Works fine. Have also seen old video cameras mounted and used in the dame way, loads of them chucked away and piled up at the tip.

Which tip??

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
cameras

hi, this is froghopper, as i am abit tight with money, and only needed to see directly behind, and for parking, i took a mirror off a toyota previa, estima, ford bongo all have the mirror on an arm, i can see to park within less than an inch, have an auto cruise starfire, coach built, scrap yard gave it to me,, can also see about 5ft behind, plenty,
after all, the view is better out front

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
This may be old hat, but have you thought of a fresnel type reversing lens??

I can only see a small part of the rear window on our Hobby from the drivers seat, so on what part I can see, I have fitted one of these:

WideAngle2_300.JPG

This enables me to see acompletely clear view of what is behind the van, and as a bonus, gives me a clear view of the edges of the van. They also work just as well at night time.

These are self adhesive, in the sense that you put it on the screen, with a drop of water, and it stays there through thick or thin!! They cost around a fiver or so, and most accessory shops sell them.

OP
OP
Rockingdodge

Rockingdodge

Free Member
Nov 6, 2009
Ross on Wye
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks to all

Thanks everyone for your thoughts but my drive is about 12" longer than my 'home so I am really looking for a dedicated rear view camera or cameras that will give me full coverage because if I damage the rear it is going to cost me a damn site more than a camera system.
Also after seeing first hand the damage and grief caused by a reversing wagon to a 10 year old I don't want to take any shortcuts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back