GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
Does anyone know if any type of warning or hazzad flag Etc. Etc. has to go on the back of motor home carrying bikes? OR if the motor home is LHD
does it require UK stickers and headlamp deflecters?
This is for most of Europe
Tks

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
You need a warning sign attached to the bikes. You can pick them up on Amazon/ EBay for a few quid. We have a GB sticker on ours which deals with the second question:thumb:

Don't forget breathalyser tester, warning triangle, high vis jackets for each passenger.

Drove through France from Belguim this morning breaking all those rules:Blush:

OP
OP
G

GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
Does anyone know if any type of warning or hazzad flag Etc. Etc. has to go on the back of motor home carrying bikes? OR if the motor home is LHD
Tks

You need a warning sign attached to the bikes. You can pick them up on Amazon/ EBay for a few quid. We have a GB sticker on ours which deals with the second question:thumb:

Don't forget breathalyser tester, warning triangle, high vis jackets for each passenger.

Gott all that extras "tks" its the others I need to know! Leaving in August for few years

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think you will need deflectors if the headlights have been adjusted for UK use.

Perhaps it would make sense to have them adjusted as you are off long term:thumb:

OP
OP
G

GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
[QUOTE Tks for advice Do you have LHD and use GB stickers?[/QUOTE]

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Tks

The red/white chevron hazard board is not compulsory in France .. but it is in Spain and I believe Italy .

If you have GB on the number plate no need for a GB sticker within the EU ..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
board has to be metal in Italy

The red/white chevron hazard board is not compulsory in France .. but it is in Spain and I believe Italy .

If you have GB on the number plate no need for a GB sticker within the EU ..

In Italy the board has to be the metal type not the cardboard ones. Dependent on weight you may have display the 90 on the back of the motor home.

Bob

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::Hey M. Treacle , are you trying to turn into a frog ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Gott all that extras "tks" its the others I need to know! Leaving in August for few years
I dont think anyone noticed this bit of your post....

you'll need more than GB stickers and beam deflectors....you'll need a full headlamp conversion to LHD.

if you plan on staying on that side of the channel for a few years you'll need to register your van in France...not an easy task...otherwise you need to return to the UK at least once a year for MOT and tax

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Cool, that's good enough for me....the chevrons up...gone as soon as I get this blurry horn fixed.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Don't forget breathalyser tester, warning triangle, high vis jackets for each passenger.:

The enforcement of the law making it compulsory to carry breathalysers whilst driving in France has been postponed indefinitely.

DRIVING_in_FRANCE_Checklist_2015.JPG

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/f...-i-need-to-carry-a-breathalyser-in-my-vehicle

Pete

D

DL42846

Deleted User

If you have GB on the number plate no need for a GB sticker within the EU ..[/QUOTE

I think you will find the red/white chevron sign IS Broken Link Removed in France. However the breathaliser kits are not. They are only an advisory. The bill never went through the second hearing to be finalised and made law.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
A V20 panel is not obligatory in France unless the load exceeds 1 metre. In this instance it will need red lights at night too.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
You think ?

I guess the law may have changed since 2012.

Where can I find this information please ?
Waiting for that info too !

I actually use the board at all times, even in the UK & France, but I bought it for a trip to Italy. It was never a legal requirement for France and if the law has changed, I'm sure it will have been well publicised across the various forums.

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Regarding beam covers....I have a left hand drive, it came with them on, situated in top right hand side as you look at them from the front. The lights seem fine for Uk, but can't help thinking they will be in the eyes of Continental motorists. Am I over thinking this?

D

DL42846

Deleted User
You think ?

I guess the law may have changed since 2012.

Where can I find this information please ?

Hi Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you promptly as I am on the road at the moment. ( Work I'm afraid, not pleasure)

I have purchased two MH here in France from reputable dealers. The last one from "Notain" Both informed me It was Obligatory to have a warning sign if I fitted a bike rack.

I was told In October 2012 a recommendation was made Link Removed
which recommended France adapt the same standards as Italy, Hungry, Poland and Spain regarding warning signs.

I was told this has since become law in France but don't ask me for the Link on the Republique Francaise Ministere De L'Interieur http://www.interieur.gouv.fr/ as even the French would have difficulty find it.

When I return home next week and I am in front of my computer I will see if I can find it.

My suggestion to anyone coming to France with a bike rack would be have a warning sign. A few years back the majority of vehicles did not use them. These days the majority do.
The French police are fairly relaxed with these types of laws, but every now and again they have a purge. If I remember correctly you could get 4 points on your licence.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back