Free Member
May 8, 2015
Hurworth on Tees, Darlington
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
We will be spending winter in southern Portugal 2015/16... Plan to put any camp sites we stop at on the Air.
To operate a Ham Radio station you require a licence which my wife and I both hold. This is not CB Radio.
Look forward to meeting up with any other Hams while enjoying the sun.
please contact me to arrange skeds etc...

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
I seem to remember reading somewhere, that if you intend to operate in a reciprocal country, for more than 3 months, you need to apply for a reciprocal license in that country.

:cooler:

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
My father was G3UP and he did try to encourage me as a teenager to go for it, but I joined the Army and lost interest.

It's just that I was talking to a UK Ham in Spain a few years ago and he said he had to apply for a Spanish reciprocal licence to operate from his MH over the winter, so I read up on it.

:cooler:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the forum de G0DIZ. What mariner was trying to say is that was that you can only operate outside of the UK in any one country for a max of 3 months after which you need a licence and callsign issued by that country rather than a UK licence

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
G1FTJ. Been there, done that.. Got the license and a couple of handhelds but never use them. I think you will find there are a few on here who are licensed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
hi yes you do need a licence and you also need to stay within the licencing laws for the country you plan to operate from.
I plan to be on the HF bands and also on 6m.
We have previously been on the air from many countries in Europe from Denmark all the way down to Spain and for a period of over 2 years from Germany but this will be our first time from Portugul...
Its a great way to get to know people.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
You will be there for six months. Are you saying you have a full portuguese issued licence and callsign not just a prefix to your UK licence or are you failing to understand the requirement. Up to 3 month is fine with your existing UK licence plus a prefix, over that and you need a full Portuguese licence/callsign not just a prefix.

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
no. I fully understand the licencing arrangments.
I'm not failing to undetstand!... Sorry but your sounding a bit rude .... I did state in a earlier post that you not only need a licence but you need to stay within the licence conditions of the country you transmit from.
But I did not say anything about being on the air for six months

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I'm sorry I did not intend to sound pushy or rude, your evasive answers seemed to suggest you did not fully understand the problem. I'd hate to see you have equipment confiscated. Possession is the key rather than use
Have a good trip.

OP
OP
J&S

J&S

Free Member
May 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Wentworth
Exp
Since 1982
ok no offence taken... thanks for your concern... but I too have got the tea shirt hi hi.
73 de G8HUY alias G0WEH, DA4BA and a few others.. to my name hi hi

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Don't know anything about Amateur Radio except that one of my BiL's is current president of RSGB

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
hi yes you do need a licence and you also need to stay within the licencing laws for the country you plan to operate from.
I plan to be on the HF bands and also on 6m.
We have previously been on the air from many countries in Europe from Denmark all the way down to Spain and for a period of over 2 years from Germany but this will be our first time from Portugul...
Its a great way to get to know people.
Might work you on 40 metres if I take the HF rig and a wire.. I say might as it is always a fight with Woman to take a rig with me..
But as PB said. post a list of sched times and QRG's and I will certainly listen for you
You are right Karl, but it might well still be a valid thread if @J&S is still down that way and operating..
De G4VEL :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I expect G3 means something to ... most people? Not me I'm afraid! so I reckon you're safe.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
i keep meaning to go back to the club and sit the intermediate exam , ive been M6MDI for a while now ,ive got a decent portable set and was thinking of doing the Ham bit whilst motorhoming ,anyone do it and what antenna do you use?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used to use a G-Whip multiband with an auto ATU back in the day.. Nowadays I only use VHF and UHF mobile and just use a duel band 7/8th mobile antenna on a lip mount..
At the moment though I have the Icom duel bander in the shack and the only radio in the van is a Chicken Box.

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
I have a mast which fits onto bike rack and have used a half size g5rv and a 40m dipole made from 2 whips fixed back to back

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
i keep meaning to go back to the club and sit the intermediate exam , ive been M6MDI for a while now ,ive got a decent portable set and was thinking of doing the Ham bit whilst motorhoming ,anyone do it and what antenna do you use?

Intermediate licence will still not allow you to operate abroad, you do need the full (Advanced) one, which I have not got around to doing.

2E0DMV

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I used to use a G-Whip multiband with an auto ATU back in the day.. Nowadays I only use VHF and UHF mobile and just use a duel band 7/8th mobile antenna on a lip mount..
At the moment though I have the Icom duel bander in the shack and the only radio in the van is a Chicken Box.
Wish I knew what any of that meant...

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
How would they know if you didn't have a full licence rather than an intermediate to broadcast aboard, don't know anything about Ham just curious

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
At the sprightly young age of 68 I still organise and compete on RDF, Radio Direction Finding.
Nothing like running along footpaths and thrashing around in the dark to find a person hidden in the undergrowth. Don't use the electronic sender, still use a valve transmitter and a small Morse code key.

G4TEB

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Some of the best fun I ever had was radio fox hunting !

But Morse ?
I struggled with morse.. I still say if you have any sort of musical 'ear' it is easier.. Me, with a cloth ear, really had to work at it.. When I and my then boss left the testing station ( with a 'pass' ) at Mablethorpe we drove to a cliff and had a morse contest..
We saw who could throw their key the furthest !!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back