Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
HI guys

Not sure where to start with this one, but in short, we have been offered 2 plots of land which we assume are in Rhondda Cynon Taff, wales (haven't a clue where this is), both plots of land have planning permission for a detached 3 bed house

We say assume the land is there, because the enquiry as come from there, they have given us a phone number to call to discuss, but as of yet we haven't called them, and doubt we will

Our van is forsale at £35K, and whilst my first thought is this sounds to good to be true, and therefore should be egnored, my second thought is maybe I should consider it,

After all, doing a deal this way maybe safer than accepting cash, surely if a deal was concluded through a solicitor it could possible be a good deal, I must say it would not be of interest to me as a piece of land, but if i could do a deal, then sell the land as 2 lots via an auction, maybe I could make a few quid

Of course the first question as to be Wht doesn't he sell the land himself and buy a M/H with the cash, and of course I don't know

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated, But please your considered thought,s and not just a neejerk answer, which would surely be "sounds to good, therefore don't do it"

let me say I am almost certainly going to turn it down, because for us to do it I would want to make a tidy profit, to make it worth while, and therefore feel if the land is worth so much more, then surely he would sell the plots

Graham n Kay

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Rationally, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Perhaps the land owner has tried to sell with no luck, and see's you as an easy touch.

Perhaps the land is not worth what he was asking.

Perhaps the land is unsuitable in two parcels.

I would certainly be very, very careful.

If you decide to go ahead, take the very best advice available.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

If interested , first step is to check the ownership .. costs £4

Link Removed

you can perhaps also see what the last owner paid ..

For properties you are interested in, you can download:

* a title register where you can find out who owns the property, price paid/value stated information if sold since April 2000 and any rights of way or restrictions on the land noted on the register for only £4 (view title register example)
* a title plan defining the property for only £4 (view title plan example)
* a Flood Risk Indicator result showing the probability of flood for the individual registered property, produced with data supplied by Environment Agency for only £6.50 (excluding VAT) (view Flood Risk Indicator result example)

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated, But please your considered thought,s and not just a neejerk answer, which would surely be "sounds to good, therefore don't do it".
You have nothing to lose by going to look. But then you say you are "almost certainly going to turn it down", which makes me wonder why you should be interested or bothered about going at all?!!

Never having bought land i've no idea just what is involved other than it must be a legal transaction so the services of a reputable Solicitor experienced in land purchase would be needed if you went ahead. All I would say to that is don't let the seller recommend one to you......get your own.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
From my couple of drive throughs in the last 3 years, the area is well run down, and I believe it has the highest unemployment in the UK, I would suggest a visit!

Doug...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i could be wrong but i understand the Rhondda valley suffers some of the highest unemployment, and some of the lowest quality of life because of it, in the uk.

who, in their right mind, would buy a house in such an area which to me makes the planning permission pretty much irrelevant.

i know you werent thinking of building yourself but a future land sale could prove difficult.

you certainly would need to know if the land is on old mine workings/reclaimed slag heaps etc, as it could possibly be prone to subsidance etc.

i think if the land was that good why hasnt it been sold already?

be very careful !!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Single building plots in West Wales have been selling recently for £60k

busydaffodil

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
Funster No
Rhondda Cynon Taff............does have high unemployment & is near the top of the chart for early deaths, however, there are pockets of really nice areas there and I would not dismiss it without a look.
Ask where & the postcode of the plots....then google earth them.
I live over the valley from there & would take a look on google for you.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Another thing to look into is ,How close are the services ,Water, Electric, Gas and of course drainage, also is it near a river its the little things that cost the most :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
I live in the rhondda cynon taf area. In the POSH part i might add :ROFLMAO:

PM me the details and i could check it out for you :winky:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well Graham and Kay,

Only to add that it looks like you have been given some very good and helpful advice. My only further thing to add would be, there's a massive difference between The Valleys and Dorset. Im sure the the Valleys would be a nicer place in terms of many things but as has been highlighted has its problems. Don't think Dorset doesn't though but im sure you know that.

unless of course your just looking to turn a profit and not live there? if thats the case then why o why have builders not bought it? Built on it? and ran off with the profit? Builders are generally astute and would cease these type of opportunities.

All I want too know is where on earth you are going to be? Nikki keeps on having to change the Address on your Christmas card,:ROFLMAO:

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
If I was thinking of this deal I would get the address and planning details, if it has outline planning there will be a OS type map with the two intended structures on it, if you could then fax these over to a local estate agent and ask them to do a valuation for a quick sale, this should give you a rough idea of the value and local estate agents will know of any major problems with the area etc. Property is starting to move again in North Wales, typical single plot price is £50k-70k for a decent area but without any sea views etc.

Regards, John

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Try looking
Rhondda Cynon Taff land. Find land for sale in Rhondda Cynon Taff
As you will see building plots prices vary a lot :winky:
It can do no harm to ask where ? It is all depending on your risks outlook, it could well be a good investment if ::bigsmile:
you have say 50k to put a house on the land-- sell for a minimum 120k for a 3 bed house = 50 plus 17.5 = 67.5 k
do that twice = 55k profit twice
or stick 35 k in bank for 2 years and get 3 k in interest :ROFLMAO: of course you will need to oversee the building work :ROFLMAO: but then again it may be another career :ROFLMAO:
terry

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Possibility it is genuine but in the building climate at the moment builders are not willing to speculate on land, if it is genuine and you can afford to sit on it for a while, could make a nice profit, could be worth a bit of research. Carol.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back