Free Member
Oct 20, 2007
South Glos
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
Since 2007
Well not strictly the fuel gauge which seems to be fairly accurate. But how far has anyone tested the miles remaining on the computer?

I've been down to 30 miles remaining, but didn't enjoy the experience.

Has anyone been down to single figures without coming to a stop?

Roly

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Not sure on your motorhome but my Jeep has been down to 0 miles and still continued to run for another 50 before i lost my bottle and filled her up!!

I remember on Top Gear last year Clarkson drove a Jag to switch on the Blackpool lights and he ran for another 120 miles after it reached 0 and still had another 100 miles in the tank even thought the guage reached empty at the same time as the computer.

I dont think they are overly accurate :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Well not strictly the fuel gauge which seems to be fairly accurate. But how far has anyone tested the miles remaining on the computer?

Roly

this must be one for the Scots to answer ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

seriously.. don't know, never owned a vehicle with a computer.. but it's generally considered a bad policy to run a fuel tank to almost empty,

it costs too much to fill up again :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

pat101

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
cornwall
Funster No
Exp
Good question cant help i'm afraid. but would be more than interested to know the answer.

I've been down to low twenties but as you say it's not comfortable especially when my bugger sucks it all in faster than i can suck beer.

In fairness to the van though it's a 3 ltr towing a car with a heavy right foot, still young you see.

Cheers Pat.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As always with a new vehicle I once let the fuel level go down far enough to activate the low fuel alert. Filled up about 5 miles later and worked out there were still 2 gallons in the tank.

Rgds
Bill

OP
OP
rolyk

rolyk

Free Member
Oct 20, 2007
South Glos
Funster No
MH
Warwick Duo
Exp
Since 2007
I begin to feel uneasy when the red light comes on at 70+ miles to go. It's time then to change to the computer and watch it wildy fluctuating depending on the load on the engine.

I then have a strange urge to get to a filling station as quickly as possible, against all logic, and find it difficult to reduce speed to conserve fuel.

Am I alone in this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Roly

Top Gear did one of their stunts on this. Frighteningly sensible it was. Drive from Switzerland to Blackpool on one tank of fuel. The bit part aktors chose sensible cars like 1.4 diesels but head boy chose a Jaguar, of course. I seem to recall he arrived in the UK showing empty and carried on to Blackpool.

Now with that program the chances of all this being genuine are a bit slim but it probably does show that the electronics will err on the cautious side just so you don't go calling on a no-win-no-fee if you conk out on the road showing a few miles left.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back