Broken habitation door Majestic 155 (1 Viewer)

tmar

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2016
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
10yrs
I have a 2011 Majestic 155 and the habitation door hinge has broken. I have tried all the suppliers on the web and also service centers on the island but ,am told they are no longer available. It is a five part elbee hinge with fly screen attached. Does anyone know where else I can try? I have contacted Eldiss and am waiting a reply.

OP
OP
tmar

tmar

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2016
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
10yrs
I am a first time poster and still trying to find my way around the site. I will post a picture. I have tried ebay but, am unable to find the same design hinge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tmar

tmar

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2016
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
10yrs
IMG_20160706_104953.jpg
IMG_20160706_105006.jpg
IMG_20161014_130224.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am a first time poster and still trying to find my way around the site. I will post a picture. I have tried ebay but, am unable to find the same design hinge.
Well, that's the same as the hinges on our van , must be thousands on vans, so must be some spares somewhere

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What a grim picture - hinge pop riveted on. Terrible.

It's had a hard life hasn't it, I guess seized up and the flexing did the rest.

I would think any small back street engineer, especially in Morocco, could knock a couple of the door side in steel and be stronger than ali.

Have you asked Elddis ?

OP
OP
tmar

tmar

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2016
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
10yrs
Yes I have tried O'Learys and contacted Eldiss. Eldiss may have three in stock but, want me to buy the fly screen as well if they have them. I am going to see if I can get some made by the local fabrication firm. Must be some somewhere!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A plan C. I bought some of this solder to repair a bike gearchange lever, used it for other alloy work. It just might make a temporary repair.

Link Removed.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
Yes I have tried O'Learys and contacted Eldiss. Eldiss may have three in stock but, want me to buy the fly screen as well if they have them. I am going to see if I can get some made by the local fabrication firm. Must be some somewhere!
O'learys have one on eBay, sorry unable to link up to this forum :notworthy:

Localdave

Free Member
Dec 6, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 400RL
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Martin

I am a new member and was told about the problem you had/have with your door hinge and was wondering did you manage to resolve it, as I have the same problem

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Martin

I am a new member and was told about the problem you had/have with your door hinge and was wondering did you manage to resolve it, as I have the same problem

For some reason I missed this thread originally as I would have responded because we had the same problem some years ago.

If you do a Google search for <habitation door hinge> you should find a supplier. You need to make sure you get the correct one as it needs to be RH or LH (the supplier should be able to help).

I'd documented what I did but unfortunately it was so long ago that the thread has disappeared. Basically, though, it is just a matter of carefully drilling the heads off the old pop rivets and pop riveting the new hinge on. It was the first time I had ever used a pop rivet gun (had to buy one specially) but I found it easy enough. The new hinge worked better than the old one before it broke :)

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Martin

I've just read your other thread about difficulty in sourcing a replacement and remembered that I had kept the bits pictured from the hinge I took off our old van.
They need cleaning but otherwise OK.
If they are any good to you to make up a working hinge from two broken ones I'll happily send them to you FOC if you let me have your address in a PM.

IMG_2800.jpg

OP
OP
tmar

tmar

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 9, 2016
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
10yrs
Hi, I have not been able to get a replacement but, if you knock out the pin you can replace the broken part with a new one.

Martin

Localdave

Free Member
Dec 6, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
Compass Suntor 400RL
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Graham

Thank you very much for your offer, however unfortunately the one part of the hinge I need is not in your pic. But you have given me a good idea to make up a working hinge, maybe all I need to purchase is a 3 part hinge and do exactly that :xgrin: as so far I have not had any luck getting a replacement. Great site by the way.......

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham

Thank you very much for your offer, however unfortunately the one part of the hinge I need is not in your pic. But you have given me a good idea to make up a working hinge, maybe all I need to purchase is a 3 part hinge and do exactly that :xgrin: as so far I have not had any luck getting a replacement. Great site by the way.......
Pity about that. I suppose it is the same bit that breaks on all of them :xgrin: Hope you manage a fix OK.

Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Now, this might be out of date but I bought a 3 section hinge still readily available, cannibalised that and made one 5 section hinge for fly screen good as new. Took both to bits and it was very straight forward.
Hope this helps someone, thought I’d posted this months ago but obviously not. It’s a great fix, like everyone looked all over first!!!

Mar 23, 2015
North Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kemerton
Exp
Since 1989
Yes, no problem the hinge is an elbee I think. Mine was the bottom hinge on the habitation door which was a 5 section hinge no longer available?
I bought a 3 section, still available on Ebay, butchered it to obtain the broken section and re fitted a new stainless pin? I can't remember the pin measurements but it worked fineđź‘Ť
hi
That’s exactly the same problem I had! I couldn’t find a 5 on eBay. I found a 3 which I bought making sure it was the right hand one. I broke both the 3 and the broken 5 into component parts and made the 5 out of the unbroken bits and replacement new bits from the purchased 3. I had trouble tapping the old pin out but releasing oil helped, I replaced that with stainless steel rod but can’t remember the diameter. Hope this helps good luck, Andy

Sep 26, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican
Yes, no problem the hinge is an elbee I think. Mine was the bottom hinge on the habitation door which was a 5 section hinge no longer available?
I bought a 3 section, still available on Ebay, butchered it to obtain the broken section and re fitted a new stainless pin? I can't remember the pin measurements but it worked fineđź‘Ť

hi
That’s exactly the same problem I had! I couldn’t find a 5 on eBay. I found a 3 which I bought making sure it was the right hand one. I broke both the 3 and the broken 5 into component parts and made the 5 out of the unbroken bits and replacement new bits from the purchased 3. I had trouble tapping the old pin out but releasing oil helped, I replaced that with stainless steel rod but can’t remember the diameter. Hope this helps good luck, Andy
Many thanks both of you will give that a go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back