Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Picked up the new RV from Travelworld RV yesterday.

Tried to plug the RV into the house this morning and it was continually blowing the house trip.

Worked out it is the transformer which is hidden away and appears to be the only manual I don't have. This would have been fitted by Travelworld RV when they imported it.

Does anyone have any idea what ampage rating the supply should be? I have always gone off a standard 13 amp socket in the utility room.

I do have a 30A supply to the hot tub so could get a spur off that.

Actually I may just have a new spur fitted to the outside of the house anyway. Will be putting a car port up to cover it. Got fed up having to continually clean the roof of the Winnie.

Will call Travelworld in the morning but good to hear from anyone who may have the answer.

Best regards

Chris

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi. you should have no problem running off a 13 amp socket (site hook ups are a max of 16 amps) try checking the rating of your house trip.
Mike.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi All,
Picked up the new RV from Travelworld RV yesterday.
Tried to plug the RV into the house this morning and it was continually blowing the house trip.
Chris

This was done a couple of weeks ago. It's the current surge by the transformer, it was solved by one or two surge-guard type devices. Just search for THERMISTOR.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Mike,

Thanks for letting me know. The trip in the house is 80A, so I am beginning to wonder if something happened on the way home!

Hi Hilldweller,

Thanks for letting me know. I have posted a reply as Olley does not say if it worked or not.

I do reckon something else is wrong though. Maybe I will lift the board under the bed as I think that is where the transformer is tucked away.

Regards

Chris

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
try switching EVERYTHING off then re-setting house trip, if the power has only got to load the transformer I find it often works OK.
I never had this problem with the cheap yellow building site one, it only started when I replaced it with the "proper" thing !!!!
Good luck
Nigel & Pamala

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
10 amp. is what you will often get on campsites, so your system really needs to work on this supply.
Nigel

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm lifted the board and it is not under there just lots of wiring.

I think the transformer is in the only outside locker I cannot get into because they put the old tv in it and that side is against a fence so cannot get the tv out!

Hi Nigel,

Yes my Winnie had a site transformer but the more heavy duty black one and I also had no problems.

If 10amps is the average rating I may be in trouble. Cannot do any more now as I will get in trouble! SWMBO is sorting Sunday roast!

I switched most things off and it was still doing it. I am going to Shrewsbury tomorrow so will call in to Travelworld on the way back and see what they say.

Have run a separate power line inside as I like to keep a couple of oil filled radiators running all the time.

Regards

Chris

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The trip in the house is 80A, so I am beginning to wonder if something happened on the way home!
Chris

Speed of the trip is important. 80A is nothing for the odd ms, 'till your trip gets upset that is.

Academic if you can't use it on any site you visit.

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Chris,

You don't say what year your RV is, our 2005 Discovery has a Xantrex Freedom 458 inverter / charger fitted.

When I plug the EHU into the mains the charger by default is on and if the house batteries are low can be charging at quite a large amperage..........I can only switch the charger off when connected, so make sure the fridge / freezer is off, also the engine block heater if fitted.

Hope this helps.:Smile:
Mick

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi All,

Thanks for additional info.

Everything is switched off and the only thing that causes the problem when being switched on is the transformer. Bit of a sod because I cannot get into the locker which has the old TV in. The locker is facing my fence so will have to wait until the weekend to drive it out and have a look.

Am also waiting for a call from Travelworld to see if they can shed light on it.

Regards

Chris

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
unplug every thing that is powered by the transrormer
there may be a ring main from the transrormer that may cause it

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
unplug every thing that is powered by the transrormer
there may be a ring main from the transrormer that may cause it

Yep, like the sound of that thank you. Once I can get at the transformer I will see how easy that is.

Regards

Chris

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a very long conversation with Simon the Service Director at Travelworld.

It seems that the problem is to do with the 110V to 240V smaller transformer that works the ring main. The system is already going through the 240V to 110V larger transformer and not tripping.

Once I get the TV out of the locker and check the transformer, if there is a problem they will send me a new one! Cannot ask for more than that. I am obviously happy to change it myself.

Best regards

Chris

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Chris the 110v to 230v step-up tranny is only normally connected in to the genny, not the EHU.

Olley

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Fixed!

There is a 240 to 115 transformer that supplies the 115 items. This also goes to a 115 to 240 transformer that then supplies the ring main.

Spent a while going through the 240V circuit today and it seems the problem was caused by an after market mains polarity change over switch:

_CMG1058.jpg

_CMG1059.jpg

When I mentioned it to Simon at Travelworld he said 'remove it, they are rubbish!' and apologised that they should have removed it for me. It was fitted by the previous owner.

Now have electric working as it should do.

Yippee!

Regards

Chris

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
seems the problem was caused by an after market mains polarity change over switch:

When I mentioned it to Simon at Travelworld he said 'remove it, they are rubbish!' and apologised that they should have removed it for me. It was fitted by the previous owner.

Chris

Nice when you find the problem.. glad your sorted :thumb:

I've always maintained that reverse polarity wasn't worth worrying about .. and in this case because someone worried it caused more problems than it was worth ... .. kinda ironic don't you think ... :Doh:

jim

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Nice when you find the problem.. glad your sorted :thumb:

I've always maintained that reverse polarity wasn't worth worrying about .. and in this case because someone worried it caused more problems than it was worth ... .. kinda ironic don't you think ... :Doh:

jim

Thanks Jim,

And you are right! Waste of time.

Regards

Chris

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi from confused

Why transform down to 115V and then back up to 230V for ring main, must be far more efficient to connect ring main direct to 240V supply with all necessary protection RCD and MCB?

Steles

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi from confused

Why transform down to 115V and then back up to 230V for ring main, must be far more efficient to connect ring main direct to 240V supply with all necessary protection RCD and MCB?

Steles

Hi

The smaller tranny , (110-230 v) is fed from the onboard genny not the 230 -110 tranny

When on EHU the 230v ring is fed direct as you describe.

jim

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi it is possible that some do transform down to 110v and then back to 230v so that the EMS (Energy Management System) fitted to many RV's works correctly, although I have never heard of any converter doing this.

Olley

OP
OP
G2EWS
Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Whilst I cannot confirm, I believe that it is indeed wired to convert from 240 to 115 then converted from 115 to 240. I believe as Jim suggested it is all to do with the generator.

Regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back