Coachmen Mirada, Liberty edition, slide out (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Hi everyone
Back in RV world again ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Libby not up for sale anymore decided we loved her too much so as personal life nearly back to normal back in the real world full timing. Yippee :thumb::thumb: So happy.
Do have question re slide out. While off site (no hook up) we had probs getting slide out back in. Started stopped started stopped. Only way was with generator running. Not having technical brains we thought doh.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Back on site and she struggled a bit but went out.
Just been for mot (passed - brill) and slide out struggled to come in before we went while still on hook up. Came back and went out ok. doh.

Anyone give us a clue????

Is it motor?
leisure batteries
Not sure how it is powered.

Yep dumbo when it comes to technical.

Thanks in advance
Cheers Jaen and Colin

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi
Don't know if this will help but when the same happened to me it was the house battery was nearly flat when the genny was started it gave the batteries the lift neccessary,whatit meant was I needed new batteries.
Hope this helps

Pete:thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
A likely culprit is corrosion/bad connections/damp caused by lack of use.
The motors themselves are usually pretty reliable.
Check
1 battery condition
2. battery connections
3. motor connections

........and a real good one (which nobody ever does:Blush:) is get underneath with a tub of grease and throughly grease all the mechanism and gear wheels. It'll reduce friction and thus wear on the motor and it'll run and sound a hell of a lot smoother.

edit = ps, I forgot. Another good thing to do is spray the slideout seals with a propper silicon spray. When I did mine, it made a heck of a difference. You can get it from any RV spares supplier such as Linda or Duncan on here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Check
1 battery condition
2. battery connections
3. motor connections

........and a real good one (which nobody ever does:Blush:) is get underneath with a tub of grease and throughly grease all the mechanism and gear wheels. It'll reduce friction and thus wear on the motor and it'll run and sound a hell of a lot smoother.

edit = ps, I forgot. Another good thing to do is spray the slideout seals with a propper silicon spray. When I did mine, it made a heck of a difference. You can get it from any RV spares supplier such as Linda or Duncan on here.

Silicone spray is also available from any plumbers merchants. Plumbers use it on push fit connections on waste pipes......a bit of lube goes a long way!!!:thumb::winky:

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
many thanks

thanks for info - when it stops raining!!!! will grease and spray and see how that goes and will get batteries checked.
What a fantastic site for help - always an answer
Cheers:thumb::thumb::thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Check
1 battery condition
2. battery connections
3. motor connections

Thats what happened to me. All it needed was greasing. It now gets a regular lube as do the slide seals.

Jim
:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I'm 99% certain that grease on the cogs is a definitive No No check with Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner before doing any thing:Eeek:
Geo

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I'm 99% certain that grease on the cogs is a definitive No No check with Duncan at Star Spangled Spanner before doing any thing:Eeek:
Geo

So we're gonna run intermeshing gears with no lube?:Eeek:
Not gonna happen, not on my truck:Cool:

The only argument I can think of is the possiblity of the gears slipping........and the only way that can happen is if the mechanism has excess play in it allowing the gears to move apart........and thats another problem all together.......(IMHO:Smile:)

Deleted User
When I got 5er last year lubrication of slide out was something that concerned me as everything, slides gears etc, were dry.I did a little research on the internet but I cannot recall exact details, possibly manufacturer or US owners web site, the advice was not to grease because of contamination from road spray, dirt etc.Consequently I have not greased mine but I am not totally happy with this, coincidentally I was underneath today and noticed a fair amount of surface rust on the slides.
If nobody comes up with anything definitive I may try and do a little more research.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
the advice was not to grease because of contamination from road spray, dirt etc.Consequently I have not greased mine but I am not totally happy with this, coincidentally I was underneath today and noticed a fair amount of surface rust on the slides.

I use an aerosol can of motor cycle chain grease. It sticks to the rails and gears but does not form lumps large enough to attract contaminants. I simply cannot accept that contaminated grease can cause any more damage than a NO grease situation and I promise you, my slides are in and out like yo-yo's. (Cornish winds!).

Last edited:

Deleted User
I use an aerosol can of motor cycle chain grease. It sticks to the rails and gears but does not form lumps large enough to attract contaminants. I simply cannot accept that contaminated grease can cause any more damage than a NO grease situation and I promise you, my slides are in and out like yo-yo's. (Cornish winds!).

That sounds like a good idea, don't get much more exposed to road spray etc than a motor cycle chain.

brianju

Free Member
Sep 18, 2007
Hampshire Hogs now in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
A class 1991 Hymer B544
Exp
10yrs ish - US 5th Wheel/US RV/Eurovan
Hi

No slides on our trek, but in one of my lockers is a can of PROTECT ALL slide-out dry lube protectant - resists dirt,salt etc - I used this on the slide-out of the 5th wheel I used to have, I also used the rubber seal conditioner.
Both these products I ordered from my bible the RV accessories catalog (through Duncan) but if you get one of these catalogues beware! there are loads of goodies to drool over and you will spend a fortune :Eeek: including a great range of party lights ::bigsmile:

Brian

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
slide out gears

by all means grease the rollers and sliders, according to manufacturer of most rv slideouts with rack and pinion gears, these gears should NOT be greased. They have a tendancy to jump teeth, the worst case is on a four motor four rack system on a certain make of rv that went out of skew due to this, the electronics gizmo to reset this lot cost a fortune.
Dunc.

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Libby

Hi everyone many thanks for info have done the biz on the slide out :thumb::thumb:- see what happens when we use again - not brave enough now as its soooo cold and do not want to be out faffing around.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure how to take Libby off the for sale on system - prob blonde moment but hey ho.:Eeek:
Any help would be appreciated
Many thanks.

Cheers Jaen

OP
OP
C
Aug 18, 2008
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since Jan 2008
Libby slide out - yeh yeh

Thank you so much for help - we used chain oil and the biz on the rubbers and yeh yeh slide out came in. Magic. :thumb::thumb::thumb: Fingers crossed after xmas when we move again.::bigsmile:

Just for a laugh for some we have since had 'me' blonde moment. :ROFLMAO::Doh:

Oh no - no hot water. usual checks and boiler fireing and stopping etc etc. OK yes did not take on board that water pump kept kicking in. :Doh:Senior moment ' didnt it always do that!!!!' NO NO NO. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:- ok so got help - Can wash up with kettle but shower !!!.

Called local motorhome medics - brilliant guys :thumb::thumb:- yeh if we were in the know we should have known - but hey ho - leaking and spraying water on the system which said I can fire up but now I am wet!!.. All now sorted and brilliant. :thumb:

Oh to be understanding all the technical bits would be amazing but we love the people that can help - yeh cost us but not stupid money. Just little bit more overtime being jolly green giant at local supermarket!

Cheers Jaen and Col:thumb::thumb:

pkurzok

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
australia
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
greasing gears

hi guys
grease is ok as long as you clean it off and regrease every 12 months as the grease attract the dirt and water and this can blind things as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back