LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thinking about buying a Panasonic Bread making machine, has any one used one of these in a motorhome, and is it alright.

In general if anyone has one what do they think of them and what does it cost to make the usual type loaf in one any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks Carol.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Laneside

Hi

For the first few weeks you will use it and think it is the best thing since sliced bread
albeit you may find you suffer a little more indigestion than normal.

Within a few weeks it will be relegated to the garage shelf with the crepe maker and the coffee maker and you will be back on Warbies sliced.

Before you buy one ask who has one available cheap, we have one ( may not be panasonic) but it is free if you want to collect if you get near Todmorden.

Cheers Alan

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Thinking about buying a Panasonic Bread making machine, has any one used one of these in a motorhome, and is it alright.

I have used a Panasonic breadmaker every few days for the past 4 years, and found it to be consistently good.
I buy supermarket bread flour and have made several different types of bread - all of which have turned out well.
I have friends who have breadmakers from other manufacturers; they do not have the reliable results I get with the Panasonic.
With these, you are producing bread which contains no additives or preservatives, and which costs under 50p per loaf (provided you shop carefully for your flour).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Agree with everything said in the previous post

Only you know if you would use it, but the big thing is no additives and the bread goes hard, not mouldy if left for any time!!:roflmto::roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We use ours a lot. we are on our 2nd. We live miles from a decent shop so it makes sense. We've used ours in the van; the bread is fantastic. Wouldn't take it to France though::bigsmile:

EDIT - Great way to curb your salt intake as shop brought bread has loads of the stuff.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Its very easy and much cheaper to make bread by hand. Even I can do it! Try one of the ready mix packets from a supermarket to get the feel of it. Fresh yeast can nearly always be cadged from supermarket bakeries.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
We are on our second bread maker and would not be without it,have made our own as long as I can recall. We use various recipes from various sources. We particularly like the seeded breads.

We sometimes buy the odd loaf, then rapidly realise why we make our own.

We find it never gets stale ( it's not around long enough ).

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you for all the feed back will start looking at them seriously now. Carol.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Its very easy and much cheaper to make bread by hand. Even I can do it! Try one of the ready mix packets from a supermarket to get the feel of it. Fresh yeast can nearly always be cadged from supermarket bakeries.

Explain how can it be cheaper to fire up a full sized oven ? Unless your cadging the gas with the yeast..

I've been making bread for donkeys years, believe me a bread maker is far easier, cheaper and with guaranteed results ..

jim

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Panasonic bread makers......superb.

Lidl bread mixes........as delish as a very delish thing full of delishusness.

They are wonderful, especially the multi-seed ones.

Pat

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I use a bread maker, in my opinion it is more expensive than buying it but more fun to do occasionally and the smell is fantastic.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I used to use a bread maker, and it smelt delicious, but I alwas found that the bread was missing something......??

Now use the bread mixes, and mix by hand. Takes about 10 minutes, and is good for the muscles. I let it prove by the wood burner, then bake it in the oven.

The result is bread that tastes as it did when I was a kid 50 years ago - proper bread.

A bit more hassle, but infinitely bettter than anything bought from a shop.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

In general if anyone has one what do they think of them and what does it cost to make the usual type loaf in one any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks Carol.

Carol

I have been using a bread maker for about 10 years,…( they seem to last forever)......
What I do, is to use the machine to knead the dough, leave in the machine to do the 1st proove…after that turn it out onto a floured surface cut into two pieces put into 2 X 1 lb greased and floured tins, two deep cuts along the top of the dough and then leave in a warm place to 2nd rise then place in a pre-heated oven 225 for about 15 to 20 mins….
or, 1 dozen bread rolls……………..beautiful…………….I never cook in the machine tried it several times….I not keen on the bread that comes out of bread machines!!!?? It just seems different.

Is it cost effective…how much does it cost…you can buy flour in 1lb bags or you can buy in 14 kg or bigger bags if required so the cost is up to you….use the quick dried yeast ( I have used both dried and fresh no difference) it gets cheaper the more flour you buy and there are many different types flours, you can get malted flours for a granery loaf
very little work for you to do........I have tried kneeding it myself...but this way it is far easyer....Job done

Mel

I always purchased my flour from the mill at Driffied east Yorkshire very cheap in large bags ..or you could go across the road to there garden centre and buy 7kg and 14 kg bags

I have not used Lidl bread flours but a lot say they are good...but you are only buying small bags...don't give up after the first few loaves, as all flours are different good and bad, the american grain is very good if you can get it,

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2009
essex
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick Duo
Exp

brilliant breadmaker , got one(panasonic255) use it all the time. 50,50 loafs, thats 50%wholemeal50%stongwhite flour

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I use this book cheap paperback, but the recipes are very very good,.
there are many of this book on ebay but I think this is the cheapest ÂŁ4.25 and free delivery

Link Removed

if you like cooking, you will like making bread

Last edited:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
use ours every other day saved us a small fortune and the bread tastes so much better,smells brilliant when it is baking:thumb:havent used it in the van yet:Doh:

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Explain how can it be cheaper to fire up a full sized oven ? Unless your cadging the gas with the yeast..

I've been making bread for donkeys years, believe me a bread maker is far easier, cheaper and with guaranteed results ..

jim

Combo microwave or the Tech Tower mini oven in my motorhome.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Go for it !!!!

I am a single geezer fulltiming !!! I would not be without my Kenwood bread maker, only about ÂŁ55 from Comet !!
I use the Hovis packets of ready mix and to enrich the bread put an egg and a knob of butter in !!
It makes the most fantastic Toast and Melba toast to go with my home made Pate !!!
Off to Portugal in 2 weeks time...Ken Wood coming with me..:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Carol

I have been using a bread maker for about 10 years,…( they seem to last forever)......
What I do, is to use the machine to knead the dough, leave in the machine to do the 1st proove…after that turn it out onto a floured surface cut into two pieces put into 2 X 1 lb greased and floured tins, two deep cuts along the top of the dough and then leave in a warm place to 2nd rise then place in a pre-heated oven 225 for about 15 to 20 mins….
or, 1 dozen bread rolls……………..beautiful…………….I never cook in the machine tried it several times….I not keen on the bread that comes out of bread machines!!!?? It just seems different.

Is it cost effective…how much does it cost…you can buy flour in 1lb bags or you can buy in 14 kg or bigger bags if required so the cost is up to you….use the quick dried yeast ( I have used both dried and fresh no difference) it gets cheaper the more flour you buy and there are many different types flours, you can get malted flours for a granery loaf
very little work for you to do........I have tried kneeding it myself...but this way it is far easyer....Job done

Mel

I always purchased my flour from the mill at Driffied east Yorkshire very cheap in large bags ..or you could go across the road to there garden centre and buy 7kg and 14 kg bags

I have not used Lidl bread flours but a lot say they are good...but you are only buying small bags...don't give up after the first few loaves, as all flours are different good and bad, the american grain is very good if you can get it,

Carol... just a up date, why I leave it in the bread machine to prove the first time ..the machines heater will keep coming on and off ..on and off for a few seconds through the hour it is prooving keeping the bread warm and allowing it to rise
So for the first 1 1/2 hours you do nothing leave it in the machine.
Mel

Now that is home made bread....and don't forget home made bread does not keep....meaning you must eat it very soon after it is out NOT HOT let it cool on a wired rack to let out all the moisture (not on a flat surface) or you get a soggy bottom, and then::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
..Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Lovely :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We wore our first breadmaker out ( not panasonic), then got the panansonic, it is brill. Ours is on most days, never buy shop bread. Try the tear and share recipe in the panasonic book, great with pasta.

Rgds
Bill

ritaderek

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
Exp
Have had a panasonic for years - bread is great. Good quality flour = good quality bread!

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you to everyone for such a positive feedback have been out and bought one this afternoon Panasonic 255 model, so been sat with head in recipe book for a hour off later to buy some ingredients, the olive tomato breads etc seem something to look forward to and with it just being 550 watt, should be fine to use in motorhome, thank you all again, Carol.:Smile:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Carol,
Only buy a small quantity of flour at the begining and try many different ones some you will like, and some !URG...untill you know what you like then increase qty if needed......look in your yellow pages for flour mills and just ring them to see if they sell to the public as many do....that is if you get to like home bread......and don't forget if you do not like the bread out of the machine..all is not lost do what I do, you can make platts....cottage loafs with the small lump on top...1 lb or 2 lb size or bread buns try using sessame seeds...and poppy seeds on top....I always put a deep cut with a sharp knife along the top after 1 proove just before the second proove (and yes it does help) try putting a little sprinkle of cheese on top when baking......Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Mmmmmmmmmmmmm..
Mel

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thank you to everyone for such a positive feedback have been out and bought one this afternoon Panasonic 255 model, so been sat with head in recipe book for a hour off later to buy some ingredients, the olive tomato breads etc seem something to look forward to and with it just being 550 watt, should be fine to use in motorhome, thank you all again, Carol.:Smile:

Hi Carol

there are some super recipes in the booklet, the only one that I failed with was the banana bread .. it turned out awful.. just a big lump of banana tasting dough .. maybe something I did wrong .. :roflmto:

The pizza dough is excellent, once you make a real pizza you'll never buy a store one again..

happy baking :Smile:

jim

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Carol

there are some super recipes in the booklet, the only one that I failed with was the banana bread .. it turned out awful.. just a big lump of banana tasting dough .. maybe something I did wrong .. :roflmto:

The pizza dough is excellent, once you make a real pizza you'll never buy a store one again..

happy baking :Smile:

jim

Carol
What Jim says is correct,....Mmmmmm
We do the pizza dough often, we do four at a time,.... freeze two and eat two, each time we make them, they are fantastic with the tomato topping, cheese, add a few little slices chorizo (not sure I have spelt chorizo correct) but you know what I mean.........better than what you buy.............I am afraid you are going to have a lot un-happy campers outside your van with all these lovely food aroma’s....................Lovely.

Carol don't forget when you make bread when it cools freeze the bread straight away you are not going to eat, that way it will keep longer,

Mel

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

SWMBO married a breadmaking machine and as far as I can recall got cheesed off with it almost immediately!!!LOL

But she couldn't get a better model (she never tried really) and still has it after 36yrs.

OP
OP
Carol

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just had to report in, we have just had our first slice of bread out of the bread-maker could not believe how easy is was to do, it tastes and smells lovely, we have been like a couple of kids waiting to see what popped out you would think we had never seen a loaf before, going to make a fruit one later. thanks again Carol,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back