Have you ever put Unleaded into Diesel Vehicle? (1 Viewer)

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you have, you know how much it costs to rectify :ROFLMAO:

I was sent this link for preventing this, but do not know if any good?

Link Removed

Any thoughts much appreciated....

S

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I put £30 of petrol in a 320 diesel merc stopped dead after less than half a mile. Cost £300 to fix but the injection system was never right after and eventually gave up completely. Disastrous and expensive mistake to make.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Link Removed
S

Once put a full tank of unleaded into a diesel Skoda Fabia!!!! My excuse was that i was distracted by the M-I-L and SWMBO gobbing off faster than a Kalashnikov !
Thankfully realised what I'd done as I put the nozzle back on the pump.
Oooooooooh poo! Got my mate to tow me in, drained the tank(that was fun via the anti syphoning devise! NOT!) and refilled with diesel.
Managed to go for a LAAAAATE dinner instead of lunch. Sure the M-I-L thought I'd done it on purpose!:ROFLMAO:
Funny thing was, that car ran EVEN better afterwards. Did 130,000 over 10 years before we sold it. Cracking little motor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
looks good and could save ££££££ ..

never understood why manufacturers of diesel vehicles don't size the filler necks to prevent being filled with petrol.. same as this device does.

Down side, if you have an RV you couldn't use the diesel HGV pump ...

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
I put 2 gallon in an 80litr tank about twice a year. it helps clean up emissions and as a cleaning effect on the injectors. its cheaper tha some of the diesel cleaners on the market.
Not ideal for running on neat. If you do accidently fill up with petrol .push to one side drain tank and slap your wrists .Best not drive on it. Could be costly.
I would keep what you drained out and use it slowly over the next few months abit at a time.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Link Removed

S

Saw this on Dragons Den, simple but efficient, you cant get a petrol nozzle into it.

When unleaded petrol became popular the nozzle from a leaded petrol pump woudnt go into an unleaded petrol tank. The nozzzle was too big. This is the same idea. It works

Jim
:Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
S

A British success. With luck the EU will adopt it for new vehicles and then they can just retire on the royalties.

I filled my bike with diesel once :Doh: No harm done. The lads in the service bay drained it for me. Lesson learned.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
My wife put 3/4 tank in my diesel jeep by mistake a few years ago, managed to drive on for about 25 miles before engine cut out.
Total cost which included dropping the fuel tank and flushing out £600 (this was by a main dealer). I was told at the time lucky it was'nt a CRD as it could have cost alot more.

Frank772

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
none yet
Exp
none

Link Removed

S

I have no experience of the device, but it cost me £265.00 to have a Citroen
Picasso drained and flushed when I did it.
Will my sons ever let me forget ? and stop telling my pals.
Frank

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Yep, I've done it.

Arrived in Amsterdam with almost empty tank, having driven the 80 miles to Newcastle, intending to fill up with cheap diesel when I arrived.

Pulled in at a garage just outside of the docks, and VERY STUPIDLY filled up with unleaded

I went into the kiosk and paid, and then handed the receipt to Wendy, who logs the fuel/mileage/mpg etc. I was just about to start the engine when Wendy screamed 'you've filled up with petrol!!' Just as well she had her wits about her!

I told the chap in the kiosk what had happened, and he gave me the loan of a small trolley bowser with a syphon pump. I emptied the tank of petrol, and filled it with deisel, and we continued on our way.

I didn't get the money back for the unleaded though:Angry:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I did it in Spain when I was a Tugger, drove for about 5 miles before I realised what I had done so all well mixed by then. Called the breakdown out and got relayed to a local garage, they changed all the filters and drained the tank and I was off on my merry way.Cost me 80 euros so not too bad, BUT the breakdown truck did not have a hitch to tow my caravan so left it by the side of the road with my wife in it in a snow storm, she was not a happy bunny. when I complained on arrival home the C C C who I was insured with tried to fobb us off but in the end we got a free years insurance from them, you see in the advertisments happy smiling faces as you get relayed and your van being towed behind the breakdown truck, well that wasn't our experience.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Years ago we used to put 10% petrol in the diesel to stop waxing in the winter but the diesel these days has had the sulpher which is used as a lubricant reduced to such a level as to be near useless so adding petrol can create extreme wear to pumps and some mordern injectors. I have known people who have part filled with petrol to fill up with diesel add some engine oil to the tank and do a few miles then top up with diesel do a few more then top up again and get away with it but IMO if you do put petrol in a diesel or visa versa don't start the engine and on most modern cars that have a common rail injection systems don't even turn the ignition on as that will start the pump that circulates the diesel and contaminates the whole system costing even more - when I have been called out on the odd time to a Land rover the first thing I do is to remove the fuel filter - that breaks the flow line and stops any risk of anyone trying to start it.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
I put a full tank in my Fiat Marea, ran for half a mile before it stopped, paid a guy £25 to pump out the tank and a tow to fill with up diesel, never had any problems and used the petrol in another car.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
A mate of mine used to have an old 1960's Ford Anglia and he once stuck diesel in that by mistake. Drove off the Garage forecourt in a cloud of black smoke and chugged to a standstill within a couple of hundered yards. He knew immediately what he'd done! :RollEyes:

Towed it back home, emptied the entire tank, cleaned the carb, refilled with petrol......and drove that car for another twenty years before only recently parting with it.

I doubt you would get away with that on any modern day engine.

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
A mate of mine used to have an old 1960's Ford Anglia and he once stuck diesel in that by mistake. Drove off the Garage forecourt in a cloud of black smoke and chugged to a standstill within a couple of hundered yards. He knew immediately what he'd done! :RollEyes:

Towed it back home, emptied the entire tank, cleaned the carb, refilled with petrol......and drove that car for another twenty years before only recently parting with it.

I doubt you would get away with that on any modern day engine.

The Fiat Marea is still running

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
The Fiat Marea is still running
Dependant on the engine, i.e, basic or high tech, you will be ok sticking petrol into a diesel....but rarely the other way round, diesel into a petrol engine which is what my mate did.

My 1993 Transit is a 2.5 diesel injection and I often stick a few litres of petrol in that during the winter to thin the diesel. It's not a problem with that type of engine as it's basic engineering.....nothing fancy or 'high tech' about it at all. I suspect the engine in your Fiat is similarly engineered?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
The application list only lists Fiat Ducato up to 2006. I assume the device won't fit the X2/50?

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I put half a tank of unleaded into a diesel motorhome once(didn`t realise untill it was to late) I topped it up with diesel on the advice of dealer who`s motorhome it was and drove on, it made no difference to the van whatsoever, wouldn`t recommend it though.

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Mpd

YIPPEE> I'm glad I'm not the only P*** to put petrol into a diesel veh. Cost £80 for petrol £135 to empty and flush etc and another £80 for diesel & all before we started the holiday!!
Can't afford an MPD but wife makes sure I only select the Black gun (Or is it the Green) for the van!:Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you do accidently fill up with petrol .push to one side drain tank and slap your wrists .Best not drive on it. Could be costly.
I would keep what you drained out and use it slowly over the next few months abit at a time.

This use to be easy, problem now is that the manufactures in their wisdom have removed the drain hole. This makes it some what difficult to drain. You need to pump it out.:cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
You take the outlet from the tank and syphon from there .If you cant get on top of the tank it doesnt matter as there is a fuel line going somewhere. straddle a steep kerb to get underneath .Where there,s a will there,s a way.
Volkswagen say its ok to use upto 30per cent petrol in cold temperatures i would try to get it down further but its a guide.
You may be able to syphon out the filler neck.
One things for sure you,ll be more carefull next time.
i have done it as well .I am as stupid as the next man.
My son put diesel in his v w t2 once . phoned me ,off we go drain carb make a new fuel line from gallon can to fuel pump .Remove f,pipeto carb pump fuel through refit pipe to carb. block pipe from tank .drive home.
Lucky he had a drain on tank =8 gallon of diesel for me. ha ha.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
YIPPEE> I'm glad I'm not the only P*** to put petrol into a diesel veh. Cost £80 for petrol £135 to empty and flush etc and another £80 for diesel & all before we started the holiday!!
Can't afford an MPD but wife makes sure I only select the Black gun (Or is it the Green) for the van!:Eeek:

Thats where one of us went wrong - the black gun was petrol!

We filled up on top of about 1/3rd of tank of diesel just outside Dundalk (trying to make the best of cheap fuel) and then drove to Belfast to catch the ferry. The car was very juddery (Peugeot 307 1.6 diesel 55 reg) and knew that something was wrong but he who thinks he knows best and had put the fuel in said that it was not the fuel!

We then broke down in the centre of Belfast in the middle of four lanes of traffic all travelling at the speed limit or over. The RAC were very good and came relativly quickly to take us to the port and the ferry. However we could not go on the fast ferry as they dont allow "tow on'" and we had to wait another 4 hours for the slow ferry. The ferry was then late in leaving as they waited for some football fans! We were then relayed from Stranraer to Northumberland and arrived home a good 8 hours later than expected.

The car went off to the dealers (it was on lease) and after they pumped out the petrol and changed the filters the engine went great! In fact it was better than when serviced!

Cost:
Petrol that was wasted - 50 Euro
Garage cost - £300

The unmeasurable cost was all the time it took as had to take day's leave as had been up all night and was not able to go to work plus the delay in the ferry time.

However it could have been much more costly - recovery is not covered if you have put in the fuel yourself - the RAC man was very helpful and recorded that I had not put in the fuel and I was the driver and the leaseholder so we did not get charged what would have been a very expensive recovery.

Morale of the story is - always check the lines and the nozzle before filling up.:Doh:

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
unleades

yes i did that a few months ago broke down on motorway couldnt understand why at first then the penny dropped what i had done [put £40 in had to get brought back on back of a recovery truck removed the tank got diesel out then did the filters it was ok no problem started up great put petrol in wifes car ran great put next lot in knackered she wasn t very happy had to take plugs out of her convertable and clean them all :roflmto:

kevandmarg

Free Member
Apr 28, 2008
Colne, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I put 5 gallons of petrol in my diesel Maverick some years ago, managed to roll away from the pumps & drain the tank into a container or two, from the tank drain plug. Drove back up to pump & filled to brim with diesel. The car seemed to run better after that, certainly for the next three years I owned it.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
No but i did it the other way round years ago, a waste of money but no troubles after i emptied the tank out :cry::cry::cry::cry:pete

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
looks to me to be a simple tube within a tube.....
the diesel nozzle will fit over the inner tube and inside the outer but the smaller petrol nozzle will hit the inner tube preventing it going in.
Link Removed

simple solution to a major headache:thumb:

plasma

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
It could be that I am overlooking something but this device doesn't appear to lock - but it would replace my locking fuel cap. Am I being dumb?

+1, no good with out locking fuel cap ,fit a lock and I will buy one.

Plasma.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back