butane v propane? (1 Viewer)

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
Just realised that our new ( to us!) Hymer 584 has a butane gas cylinder and we are planning to go away this weekend plus over Xmas - what temp does it stop working/ supplying gas at? I am aware that propane is the one to have in low temps - thinking of converting to Gaslow 11kg instead of paying to change cylinders ( £30 rental + £20 for gas).

Can you recommend any fitters for the Berks area - near Reading?

Weather forecast for the New Forest is 3 C overnight - will we have any problems?

:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Scottie

You will need propane in winter, can't recall the exact temp butane stops evaporating but it's around 0c .. however, before it reaches that temp. it will stop working effectively, not worth taking a chance. Most people run on propane all year round.

More info on the Link Removed

You can exchange your butane bottle for a propane at no extra charge, all you need to buy is a propane regulator, about £5 . Also worth checking the rubber pipe for signs of deterioration and replace if needed..

Sorry, can't help with the Gaslow

jim

Last edited:

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
It freezes at 0 degrees C
BUT using gas chills the bottle significantly so with a big take-off demand like a heater the gas itself cools down more than the ambient.
So for the bigger demands you can run into problems from about 6 deg C the more so if the cylinder is getting low as there is a smaller amount of gas to chill.

If its only the fridge running and the bottles quite full you will get away down to your 3 deg C.

Leave the locker door open to allow the self cooling air to drop out; the last thing to do is to insulate the bottle that makes it much worse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Scottie

Give these guys a call regarding Gaslow fitting.

CMR LTD Cylinder Mobile Fitting Service
8 FAREHAM HOUSE
FAREHAM DRIVE
YATELEY
HAMPSHIRE
GU46 7RE
0845 260 2666

You can go to them or they will come to you.

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Just realised that our new ( to us!) Hymer 584 has a butane gas cylinder ---- instead of paying to change cylinders ( £30 rental + £20 for gas).

:Smile:

If you have already got a Butane cylinder you can change that with most suppliers for a propane without any additional rental charge; just a pity if its got still some gas in it. You will need a different coupling for the propane cylinder and how you do that depends on whether you have the regulator "on" or "off" the cylinder.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
pick up a spare propane bottle from your local tip for £10, then buy a propane refill adapter from ebay. Hey pronto a refillable gas bottle for under £50. Job done, You will also need a replacement regulator. (Don't forget to use up the butane next summer)

May 22, 2008
Funster No
It freezes at 0 degrees C
BUT using gas chills the bottle significantly so with a big take-off demand like a heater the gas itself cools down more than the ambient.
So for the bigger demands you can run into problems from about 6 deg C the more so if the cylinder is getting low as there is a smaller amount of gas to chill.

If its only the fridge running and the bottles quite full you will get away down to your 3 deg C.

Leave the locker door open to allow the self cooling air to drop out; the last thing to do is to insulate the bottle that makes it much worse.
Wrong the GAS does not freeze, it does not change from liquid to gas at low temperatures . Propane is the one to use at low temperatures as it gasses from liquid at much lower temperatures, if as you say you will be at -3 degrees Butane will be useless,

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Wrong the GAS does not freeze, it does not change from liquid to gas at low temperatures . Propane is the one to use at low temperatures as it gasses from liquid at much lower temperatures, if as you say you will be at -3 degrees Butane will be useless,

Whilst correct its a somewhat pedantic response in the context of the question; I thought we were here to try and help others. Thanks!

May 22, 2008
Funster No
pick up a spare propane bottle from your local tip for £10, then buy a propane refill adapter from ebay. Hey pronto a refillable gas bottle for under £50. Job done, You will also need a replacement regulator. (Don't forget to use up the butane next summer)
I am surprised to see you giving this advice to a reader Roger ,and I don't know of any outlet in the Southampton area who would let anyone indulge in this dangerous practice.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am surprised to see you giving this advice to a reader Roger ,and I don't know of any outlet in the Southampton area who would let anyone indulge in this dangerous practice.:Angry::Angry::Angry:

:ROFLMAO: Dangerous practice ???:ROFLMAO: IF you can follow simple instructions there is less to go wrong :thumb: Malc, do not knock it /them unless you have tried them :thumb::ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
All i can say is we have to be adaptable in this modern world.
Cheers alan.

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
Although we do use propane all year and even indulge in reckless re-filling with an adapter:Eeek:, butane does have the advantage of being denser and therefore you can carry ~ 12.5% more gas in the same size cylinders which equates to about 10% longer duration, given the slightly lower calorific value.

Andy

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Whilst correct its a somewhat pedantic response in the context of the question; I thought we were here to try and help others. Thanks!
This from someone who thinks gas freezes, we are here to help others, not cause death or injury to people and serious damage to property, tell me where you are able to refill bottles in this way without hiding behind your van or something so as not to be seen and stopped from doing it, and what about OVER FILLED bottles, you all know the dangers and one day you will be enjoying hospital food or worse DEAD.:Doh::Doh::Doh:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
pick up a spare propane bottle from your local tip for £10, You will also need a replacement regulator. (Don't forget to use up the butane next summer)

Surely that will keep everyone happy.:winky:

Just pick up any size of Calor, propane or butane, and they will (should) exchange it for whatever size of bottle you need.

There are plenty threads on the best ways to refill etc. but this should get you through this break.:thumb:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
No axe to grind here each to their own I just wonder, if owt went wrong Gaslow being a recognised system would your insurers pay out? If not could you not sue Gaslow? How would you stand refilling a standard Calor bottle? :Doh:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
No axe to grind here each to their own I just wonder, if owt went wrong Gaslow being a recognised system would your insurers pay out? If not could you not sue Gaslow? How would you stand refilling a standard Calor bottle? :Doh:

Just the normal way except for a slight lean to push the button on the pump! Seemples!:RollEyes:

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
ksebruce;213599} How would you stand refilling a standard Calor bottle? :Doh:[/QUOTE said:
On crutches?:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

As of yet/now I am not aware of any refill incidents with refill adapters but there are plenty of leaks / sticking floats etc on other systems ::bigsmile: You are not allowed to refill Calor bottles :winky: so buy your own :thumb: Insurers are a law unto themselves and as such can not comment on any payouts or not (would you tell them you blew the van up filling my gaslow system / bottle with adaper ?)
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Lets for a moment forget filling a calor bottle .In the reimo catalogues for years you could buy a refillable gas bottle . There are lots of different makes throughout europe.
They sell a kit for filling german gas bottles outside of germany. It contains 4 different nozzles. Part no.75136.
Filling of gas bottles as been done for many years through out europe and the rest of the world.
Care and attention needs to be taken nobody should try or do it with out being confident and have some prior knowledge of how its done.
As for calor ,well they say not to fill their bottles .They own the bottles. Lets be realistic how many people have a signed agreement with calor?Even how many know that there is such a thing.The agreement last 50yrs it is not a rental agreement nor does it transfer title of the bottles. so if you dont have a refill agreement you are breaking the law.
Thats most camper owners i,m sure.
Its as bad as carrying 20 litres of petrol in your camper. you break several rules if you do.
cheers alan.

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
butane v propane

There's a very easy answer.....

Keep online to Motorhomefun.

The hot air on here would have kept Captain Scott healthy all the way back from the South Pole, with neither butane nor propane.

I'm all for it.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
In the context of the question, which is best?, I'd have to say that for all intents and purposes, one is as good as the other.

The biggest plus for Calor Red, which is what I use, is that it can be used year round without the hassle of changing bottles for the winter.

As for utility?? When I went down to Spain in September, I took two full 6kg cylinders, the new lightweight ones with guages.

I came back with one full, and the other registering 25% on the guage (probably wildly optimistic)

This was for 25% sites, 75% aires. The gas was used for all hot water, kettle, cooking etc, when 240v was not available.

Can't say better than that!!

Just use whichever floats your boat, but my recommendation would be red.

OP
OP
S

scottie58

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
berks
Funster No
MH
A class
just home from work - wow! didn't expect my question to evoke so many responses / views. Forums are great for this reason. Thanks for all the input - i will exchange my blue cylinder for a red one on the way home Fri eve, and "adapt" to the situation................:Smile:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Butane vs Propane

i cant obviously see it, but would be a good idea to have two bottles of the same gas, 2 regulators, and connect with a T piece, so when it runs out in the middle of the night, just switch the empty one off, and the full one on.

You wont have to mess about changing regulators half asleep:ROFLMAO:

S

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Also worth checking the rubber pipe for signs of deterioration and replace if needed..

jim

if its a genuine gas hose the "manufactured" date will be stamped on it and should be renewed at 5 years regardless of physical condition.

if newer than 5 years replace anyway if its cracking/perishing. :thumb:

they usually start to crack around the crimps/hose clips first.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
does that mean i ought to change the original gas pipe on my late fathers tilly twinfold ?it must be nearly 50 yr old .ha ha
only joking .
always use new hose .i prefer to always use the higher pressure one .best be safe.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
all quality hoses are marked with a change by date ...if it ain't , look elsewhere

and if it is good quality it should give you 10 years from date of manufacture

plenty of cheap rubbish about though

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back