Looking for Compass motorhome (1 Viewer)

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
I'm looking a Compass motorhome with a similar spec to Autosleeper Pollensa, Gatcombe or Talisman.
Particularly
Side seats and rear kitchen/toilet
4 berth
Diesel or petrol
Base vehicle
3-4 berth
Forward facing belted passenger seats(at least one extra prefer 2)
Big wide (min 4' 6) double bed
Not too long, less than around 6m
£20k-25k price bracket for 2000-2003 vintage

Other niceties
20k-50k mileage (would be nice)
Ford engine 2.4 Litre min

Thanks,
K

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Which part of your choice is german? dont fancy a quality van then.:Doh:
we did do a big survey for you.
Good job we all like different things ha ha

OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
Which part of your choice is german? dont fancy a quality van then.:Doh:
we did do a big survey for you.
Good job we all like different things ha ha

Hello VW Alan,
Thanks for your posts.
Looked at the Rapido's and Hymers (which came top of the survey) and they all use Fiats which seem to be having a bad time off it lately (Water ingress to engine and reverse shudder). Habitation looks immaculate on them. We are not really into luxury though. We use the van to get us to nice places so we can walk and i actually leave the missus and do a lot of back-packing. Only changing the old Symphony because we've filled it up with stuff and now have additional family member to consisder (grandson)

When I started looking I was dead against Fords but I have been persuaded that they are pretty well respected. Then I hit all the bad stuff put up about Fiats and although a few people have told me that it is a problem with new vehicles, made say in the last year or two it has left me a bit suspicious. Thanks to all the advice on here I'm leaning towards VW and Ford. Not sure about Mercs for spares.
Thanks for the info. i'm not ignoring it, just building a picture like you do.
Regards
K

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
My personal view is you couldnt get a more rust bucket than a ford transit. They are known to snap their chassis just behind the cabs.If its on the ford chassis spare wheels carriers fall off and rear spring hangers drop out of chassis. Never mind the rest of the front cab. There is also problems woth the imobiliser cut out on some pumps. Look hard and think a bit more would be my advice.It is quite difficult to find a good base vehicle these days.
I worked with V W ,s for years but cant recomend the later t4/5 they have lots of faults and give much less room than their predecessors
I think i would look for a renault or iveco daily base .
cheers have fun. alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
calculad

calculad

Banned
Nov 14, 2009
Soft South
Funster No
MH
Van Con
Exp
My personal view is you couldnt get a more rust bucket than a ford transit. They are known to snap their chassis just behind the cabs.If its on the ford chassis spare wheels carriers fall off and rear spring hangers drop out of chassis. Never mind the rest of the front cab. There is also problems woth the imobiliser cut out on some pumps. Look hard and think a bit more would be my advice.It is quite difficult to find a good base vehicle these days.
I worked with V W ,s for years but cant recomend the later t4/5 they have lots of faults and give much less room than their predecessors
I think i would look for a renault or iveco daily base .
cheers have fun. alan

You gonna change your name then? :Smile:
Bloomin eck i think I just hijacked me own post.
K:cry:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
No, i still have an LT50artic unit ,a t25 in the garden about 3 trikes in various forms of build. Lots of v w gear.
Shame i now drive a mitsubishi canter and could say get one with a box mine doesnt have tilt cab so would make a good crawl through, and could have taken a fair size box before i cut the chassis down.
I also like isuzu. There as been some jap imports on ebay with nice camper conversions. Coach built and remember japs drive on our side of the road.
I also have a mazda bongo, cheaper than a v w with 4x4, tintop with full length roof rack and over tent ideal for small tracks and sneaking around uk.
I would like a t2 jurgone conversion from south africa but again too expensive.
Also fancy a toyota landcruiser nato style as a camper or a MAN 4x4 truck they make ideal campers for me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back