Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Book Club Members and the month for their book choice.
Jim ..October .. Touching the Void, Joe Simpson
CWH .. November .. A Painted House, John Grisham
Allan & Loren .. December .. Rosa's Gold, Ray Kingfisher
Portland .. January 2017
Hills and Glenns .. February
Jenben .. March
Archie 2000 .. April
Cat53 .. May
Dizzy Izzy .. June
Indy 259 .. July
Jandek .. August
Teasy2007 .. September
Movan.. October
Jumartoo .. November
Rolly .. December
The Old Man .. January 2018
mjltigger .. February
John Laidler .. March
Tick59 .. April
Karlc .. May
Kcy .. June
Motorhome mart .. July

Everyone welcome to join, just let me know so I can add you to the list and if you decide to leave the book club same thing applies.

Book Club Rules
1. No discussions until the end of the month unless we have all finished the book.
2. Everyone should be respectful of other people's opinions and not get into personal arguments only healthy, respectful discussions.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Got it ... yeah... Again, not my usual type of book but this book club broadening my horizons.. :)

ANYONE interested in joining our club .. please go to the thread called Funsters Book Club to put your name on. You will be made welcome. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
20161205_134115.jpg

Did those of you struggling to get a copy, have any luck?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I think I downloaded it on my Kindle when it was cheap @movan.

Sep 30, 2008
Funster No
Haven't started it yet Joy. I have been really busy. I have been decorating and having a big sort out. Hopefully by next weekend I can go into wind down mode, methinks I am getting too old to climb up and down stepladders and lay flooring.

I read every night but I've been falling asleep after half dozen sentences. Reading Bricking It, I think the author is Nick Spalding. A good few laugh out loud moments to be had.

Anne

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I am enjoying it Anne... up to page 144 already. :)

Don't you go overdoing it love ..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Glad you managed to get your copy Joy @movan. Don't know what page I'm on, my laptop doesn't tell me; chapter 7 anyway.

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'm starting it tonight and really looking forward to it after your comments

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
OK, just finished Chapter 29. But I STILL don't feel sleepy (slept about 30 minutes so far) so I'm going to get a cup of tea (make that ANOTHER cup of tea) and read on.
You're so right Joy @movan , this book DOES get better as it goes on (y)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hmmm @movan and @CWH . I was going to give this one a miss. I didn't think concentration camps would make for easy Christmas reading. Might have a change of heart. As I'm doing the February book. I am wondering if there is a list somewhere. of which books have already been read by the book club?

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I am wondering if there is a list somewhere. of which books have already been read by the book club?
First post on this thread. We only started in October.

Lead-up chat and first couple of reviews are on this thread:
Link Removed

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well, I've finished the book and my review - obviously it's not to be posted until January, but I needed to write it as soon as I finished reading or I'd have forgotten the emotional impact, which is what makes or breaks a book for me.
Thank you for this suggestion @Allan & Loren , I've learned something from this one.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The title did not impress me, however I gave it a try and I'm now intrigued !!. can't give anything away but it's like having two books :xdoh::xdoh::xeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
The title did not impress me, however I gave it a try and I'm now intrigued !!. can't give anything away but it's like having two books :xdoh::xdoh::xeek:
Yep.. :) ..... and two authors. :(

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I also downloaded it - onto kindleforPC - because I don't have a Kindle :LOL: - but I do prefer real paper.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Well I'm not starting the January book yet - so I'll just have to get on with the books I have on the go at the moment:
  1. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad (seriously weird :xsurprised:)
  2. Wanderlust, a History of Walking - Rebecca Solnit (challenging :xblink:)
  3. Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer (urgggghhhhh :xsad:)
  4. Tears of the Giraffe - Alexander McCall Smith (a bit of light relief from the above 3 :xgrin:)
Roll on January, and Animal Farm :xThumb:

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I have now finished Rosa's Gold which was a a very interesting tale but I will wait until Jan to join in the conversation. I have borrowed from the Library George Orwell's Animal Farm to read before we set off on our winter tour. Its a beautifully illustrated and the pictures add to the tale. Now off to Egypt for a week for our 50th!!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Need something to read between books .. has anyone read a book entitled something like The 100 year old man who stood at the Window? Any comments on it please?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Just bringing this thread up a little ... anybody not yet joined our club .. the January book is Animal Farm if you are interested in joining us. Please see the thread Funsters Book Club re 'rules' and books read so far. :)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Well I'm not starting the January book yet - so I'll just have to get on with the books I have on the go at the moment:
  1. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad (seriously weird :xsurprised:)
  2. Wanderlust, a History of Walking - Rebecca Solnit (challenging :xblink:)
  3. Canterbury Tales - Geoffrey Chaucer (urgggghhhhh :xsad:)
  4. Tears of the Giraffe - Alexander McCall Smith (a bit of light relief from the above 3 :xgrin:)
Roll on January, and Animal Farm :xThumb:
Know what you mean about Canterbury Tales. HEAVY!!:xeek:

Sep 22, 2014
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Duetto
Exp
Since 2014
Sorry everyone I have not finished Rosa's Gold, mainly because of work, family, and Christmas. I'll try better next time

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Sorry everyone I have not finished Rosa's Gold, mainly because of work, family, and Christmas. I'll try better next time
Well if you've started it, you can always join in the discussion later when you finish (or even BEFORE you finish) - once somebody STARTS the discussion, that is!!!

OP
OP
Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I am so pleased to have read this book and will probably read it again in the future.

It started a bit slow reading about a sulky teenager and how resentful she was to have moved to Henley so her mother could have a new life! However I soon warmed to Nicole and her obsession with reading Macs diary, desperate to try to understand what had happened in his life, what had happened to Rosa, Lorenzo and their family and ultimately knowing that she could use technology to help Mac return the gold and find Anna and Lorenzo junior. Nicole was a caring, determined young lady.

I learnt things about the horrors of the concentration camps I had not heard before, for example, telling the prisoners they were going for a shower to get clean and getting them to strip before leading them to their deaths! The evil, cold hearted, callousness was totally incomprehensible to me. The way the prisoners helped each other, trying to survive in the most desperate of situations.

The way the story was written through the eyes of Nicole reading a diary and splitting between Nicole's challenges in her new life and Mac's war diary made for easier reading for me as the emotional roller coaster was incredible.

It was a fitting end for them to find Anna and Lorenzo and give them Mac's diary to let them know what had happened to their family.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back