Intro from Govinda (1 Viewer)

Govinda

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi, Im new to the site. Im about to take the first steps into the world of self build and from what Ive seen, Im going to be visiting this site on a very regular basis !! Im looking to buy a base vehicle in the new year with a view to having it converted by June (probably wildly optimistic):Blush: and enjoying the few months that pass for summer. Having looked around for the past 8 weeks, I have kind of narrowed it down to a choice of 2, The Mercedes LWB Sprinter and the Iveco Daily Traveller Welfare Bus. Any views on either of these would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Govinda.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Hi, Im new to the site. Im about to take the first steps into the world of self build and from what Ive seen, Im going to be visiting this site on a very regular basis !! Im looking to buy a base vehicle in the new year with a view to having it converted by June (probably wildly optimistic):Blush: and enjoying the few months that pass for summer. Having looked around for the past 8 weeks, I have kind of narrowed it down to a choice of 2, The Mercedes LWB Sprinter and the Iveco Daily Traveller Welfare Bus. Any views on either of these would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Govinda.

Hi Govinda and welcom to the FUN site.

Don't know anything about self builds but I am sure others on here will do. So fire away with and question you may have:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi and welcome to the FUN.

One or two self builders on here(not me!!) im sure will advise you and only one suggestion from me,

Keep it light.:thumb: No oak furniture and marble worktops :ROFLMAO:

Dont know how big you want but ex ambulances (a lot are Mercs now) and library vans, usually built on a chassis/bulkhead so in effect would make an 'A' class motorhome, are ideal.

High mileage isnt usually a problem as you know they've been regularly serviced and kept in good order.

Good luck with the build.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Im going to be visiting this site on a very regular basis !! Im looking to buy a base vehicle in the new year with a view to having it converted by June

Brilliant idea, you get exactly what you want and the quality you want.

Have you spotted a post yesterday, one funster in Liverpool is doing this right now. You'll find photos of other's past work in the gallery.

Good luck. Though you are wrong about the weather, plenty of funsters are basking in the sunshine right now.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Govinda

WELCOME to MH Fun::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I think either would be OK but our self build expert has not spotted your post yet, don't worry he will.

At least this will help keep your post at the top.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, :welcome: to Motorhome Fun. Our van is Mercedes ::bigsmile: But I would say anything with Rear wheel drive is a good vehicle to start with,:winky: good luck with it, look forward to seeing some photo's as your project progresses.:thumb: Bob.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi Govinda... welcome to the Fun.

I have converted an Iveco 35-12 Turbo Daily and a 60-10 before that.

The Ivecos are very strong but also quite "solid" to drive. Quite a heavy clutch and clunky gearbox but I like the feel of having something tough around me!

Mine is still a "work in progress" but I have been living in it for eight years now!

If I can help in any way I would be delighted to...

JJ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back