Just put deposit on 1997 Hymer 684 - Advice pleaseeeee (1 Viewer)

powerlord

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
I'm a motorhome newbie - I've been sponging in as much info as I can over the last week and have put a deposit on this motorhome.

First of all.. good deal ?

Link Removed

I went to see it on sunday and it was in need of valeting and some bits and bobs (biggest thing being the rear window all smashed).

The dealer has agreed to fix these, and I will be going up on saturday to buy it providing they have sorted everything out.

I've put a checklist together of all the things I think I should check.Some are specific for this van, but I'd appreciate peoples input on how realistic my requests are, what I've missed, how to check stuff like electrics, etc.

I want to send them the list tomorrow (tue) so that they have time to agree and action everything on it by saturday.

Here is my list:

Download the original attachment

240V and Gas will be required for you (and me at weekend) to check all of following.

Passenger Seat head restraint replaced – preferably both with cushion ones

Back window replaced with new one of same type. i.e. double glazed, same tint as others, etc

Table hole sorted. i.e. table re-veneered.

Bumper repaired

Dead leisure battery replaced with new one

Valeted inside (e.g. roof vents cleaned out, vacuumed, cab cleaned, cupboards cleaned, toilet cleaned, etc)

Cleaned outside (full wash, wax, buff)

V5 there

All manual there (they were in cupboard above cooker)

All 12 lighting works

All 240v lighting works

12v fridge works (e.g. when vehicle engine on)

240v fridge works

gas fridge works

water pumps work (cold and hot – both sinks and shower)

Gas Boiler works – hot water, air heating, fan, all vents working and not broken.

shower works

gas oven works + ignitor

gas grill works + ignitor

all gas hobs work + ignitor

All exterior lights work

MOT present

Gas bottles present

Regulators, pig tails, pipes in good condition

240v hook up lead present

Visual check of leisure batteries – proper rating, etc

12v should show being powered by CAR when engine running not leisure batteries (e.g. fridge)

12v car to 12v leisure switching working

all 3 batteries charging when vehicle engine on

leisure batteries charging when 240v connected

water tank present, good condition and clean.

Waste tank present in good condition.

Tv aerial check if present

Bike rack present and all parts present

Roof Ladder undamaged

Roof Rack undamaged

Awning in good condition (fully wind out and in)

All Keys present with spares – If spares missing – expect them to be cut.

Proof of Timing belt change in last 5 years (especially necessary with no service history) – No proof and this WILL need doing. I will accept it without it being done, but will require £300 discount to pay for replacement – probably cheaper for you to arrange.

All 12v power outlets checked and working

All 240v power outlets checked and working

Sink wooden cover replaced with the one in adverts on website (the new shiny one, and not the manky old thing in there now). If not got it anymore – will accept cash off price to buy replacement from Brownhills on way home

all advice appreciated.

regards,

stu

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Gas safety certificate and damp check certificate are two must haves, you are leaving things a bit late as you say you have paid a deposit and as I see it you already have entered into a contract to buy, suppose the dealer does not agree to your very comprehensive list of things he must do ??:Doh::Doh:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I presume your wish list was signed by the dealer prior to paying a deposit, if not then it is just a wish list, because you cannnot hold the dealer to it and he has no need to return your deposit. Good Luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powerlord

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
Gas safety certificate and damp check certificate are two must haves, you are leaving things a bit late as you say you have paid a deposit and as I see it you already have entered into a contract to buy, suppose the dealer does not agree to your very comprehensive list of things he must do ??:Doh::Doh:

yes that is exactly what I have done - deposit will be refunded if not to my satisfaction (i.e. list actioned)

gas and damp: legal requirements or just common sense/good to have ?

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
Gas safety is paramount, though certificate not a legal requirement IE the van can be sold without a certificate but the van must be fit for purpose, so if it has a gas leak its not fit is it, If you buy a van with damp present you are buying trouble,expensive trouble too, I am not a LAWYER and these things are just my opinions.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm a motorhome newbie - I've been sponging in as much info as I can over the last week and have put a deposit on this motorhome.
all advice appreciated.
regards,
stu

Pictures look good, if that's as it is now it's in remarkable condition. There's a whole lot of fun to be had in there. You list looks reasonable. No idea if it's a good deal.

Condition is everything at that age. Damp is the nasty one. Very expensive to get rid of.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powerlord

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
Gas safety is paramount, though certificate not a legal requirement IE the van can be sold without a certificate but the van must be fit for purpose, so if it has a gas leak its not fit is it, If you buy a van with damp present you are buying trouble,expensive trouble too, I am not a LAWYER and these things are just my opinions.:thumb::thumb:

thanks for that advice. I hear you about gas safety. Do most dealers sell with them then ? I would have though that many owners would not have one unless renting out, etc ?

But, yup, without it I agree its a bit of a hit and miss job.

damp - stupid question perhaps... but how can I tell without an inspection ? I mean it smells a bit cold and damp like every other caravan and motorhome I've been in that has been sitting in a lot for weeks.

But floor solid, no water ingress signs anywhere (checked cupboards, around windows, etc). So seems ok to the layman.

At the end of the day - a 12 year old van has not just came off the factory so it's a bit of a juggling act to work out just how picky to be.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powerlord

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
Pictures look good, if that's as it is now it's in remarkable condition. There's a whole lot of fun to be had in there. You list looks reasonable. No idea if it's a good deal.

Condition is everything at that age. Damp is the nasty one. Very expensive to get rid of.

yeh it is generally in good nick. Interior especially has had very low use by the looks of things - no wear on fabrics, etc, etc.

Damp wise - there was no delamination - the floor is solid (from bottom looking up too). Window seals seem fine, and no marks on floor from water leaks, etc. Cupboard shelfs are sagging, but then they are just crappy MDF - so I'd expect them to sag after 12 years.

Realistically I'm not going to spend 300 quid getting damp and gas inspections from a dealer buy. However, I realise its still buyer beware - hence the need to pick you boys experienced brains. :)

Upvote 0

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi welcome to m/h fun,
I hope you will have everything sorted on your wish list.?
the way you have explained this van,not looked after,
there is no mention of service history,mot,
I would not buy without full service history,
new mot,check all tyres are good, (including spare)
good luck to you. Tony

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
A gas leak test is very simple to do with bottles turned off and a U tube with water in connected to the gas system, a good dealer will be able to get it done, no most vans get sold without a certificate and one would only be valid on day of purchase really but you would know that there wasn't a leak when you drove it off the forecourt wouldn't you. Damp meters can be bought at DIY shops , BnQ etc. a meter has two pins sticking out which you push into the fabric of the van and a bleep will sound or a meter on the gadget will give you a reading if damp is present its battery operated and they are cheap to buy, but,it's too late to find out the van is damp after you have bought it, common places to check are round window frames ,exterior doors and lockers, roof lights and seams [ interior of ].:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powerlord

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
Hi welcome to m/h fun,
I hope you will have everything sorted on your wish list.?
the way you have explained this van,not looked after,
there is no mention of service history,mot,
I would not buy without full service history,
new mot,check all tyres are good, (including spare)
good luck to you. Tony

Hi Tony, thanks for welcome.

I hear you re: service history. But at 12 years old - I'd expect the last few years to be sketchy. though admit to being a bit miffed that there was none - hence the extensive agreed action list.

I mean at the end of the day Ducatos are pretty solid bits of kit. Cambelt change permitting, there ain't much else I'd expect to go wrong mechanically.

It is getting a new 12 month MOT by garage. All tyres are good. brakes, etc all fine.

I'm more concerned with stuff like the gas system, all the electrics, appliances, etc, etc - all stuff that no amount of service history would make a difference to really.

stu

Upvote 0
May 22, 2008
Funster No
People are buying New vans and getting all sorts of problems with them where they have not had proper PDI inspections, so if the dealer you are buying off has agreed to your list ,it seems to me that you have done exceptionaly well, keep us posted.:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I presume 2 sets of keys plus the red master key on this ...if it is one of those fiats it can take a lot of money off the value , my niece was offered 2 trade in prices on her car , one with master key , one without ...£1,000 difference which is a bit excessive , but gives you idea of what it can cost to replace the immobiliser / locks/keys etc

I am not certain that this model had this , but DO check ; if I am correct and you lose the other keys you are going nowhere unless you have the red key to make new ones

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

powerlord

Free Member
Nov 23, 2009
Funster No
I presume 2 sets of keys plus the red master key on this ...if it is one of those fiats it can take a lot of money off the value , my niece was offered 2 trade in prices on her car , one with master key , one without ...£1,000 difference which is a bit excessive , but gives you idea of what it can cost to replace the immobiliser / locks/keys etc

I am not certain that this model had this , but DO check ; if I am correct and you lose the other keys you are going nowhere unless you have the red key to make new ones

ok, that sounds important. any idea how I find out if it is supposed to have a red master key if it doesn't have one ? I'll have a good read through the Hymer manuals - would it be in there ?

thanks for heads up.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
yeh it is generally in good nick. Interior especially has had very low use by the looks of things - no wear on fabrics, etc, etc.

Damp wise - there was no delamination - the floor is solid (from bottom looking up too). Window seals seem fine, and no marks on floor from water leaks, etc. Cupboard shelfs are sagging, but then they are just crappy MDF - so I'd expect them to sag after 12 years.

Realistically I'm not going to spend 300 quid getting damp and gas inspections from a dealer buy. However, I realise its still buyer beware - hence the need to pick you boys experienced brains. :)

First thing to remember is this is quality piece of kit you are buying and built in less stressful times when they could afford the extra bod to supervise the construction. So everything is in your favour. But you never know what has happened since it left the factory, it's up to you to look for signs of damage that may cause a leak.

You can buy a damp meter for £20 for a quick test but they need a bit of effort reading them. They aren't GO-NO GO meters but if you saw a violently differing reading somewhere then it's a sign you need to look closer. If you read the posts in here for a while you know one make had a load of trouble with rotting floors.

Shelves are likely to be much more high tech than MDF, weight is everything so much of the material is extra light board made specially for the job. Of this lightness means any rot takes all the strength pretty quickly.

Upvote 0

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well since I posted about the red key the subject came up elsewhere !...there are 13 pages about it on the preloved forum !

and it looks to be not serious now presuming you have a TDi motor and not aJTD [ when it may be needed for diagnosis ] ; looks like the timpson guy can now cut you some copies and encode them , and some fiat dealers can read the codes off the blue key ; so if you keep a couple of spares tucked away you should be ok

best have a read on the forum ...opinions seem to vary , and technology moves on !

Upvote 0
R

roamsweethome

Deleted User

First of all.. good deal ?

Link Removed

I went to see it on sunday and it was in need of valeting and some bits and bobs (biggest thing being the rear window all smashed).

The dealer has agreed to fix these, and I will be going up on saturday to buy it providing they have sorted everything out.

I've put a checklist together of all the things I think I should check.Some are specific for this van, but I'd appreciate peoples input on how realistic my requests are, what I've missed, how to check stuff like electrics, etc.

I want to send them the list tomorrow (tue) so that they have time to agree and action everything on it by saturday.

Here is my list:

Download the original attachment

240V and Gas will be required for you (and me at weekend) to check all of following.

Passenger Seat head restraint replaced – preferably both with cushion ones

Back window replaced with new one of same type. i.e. double glazed, same tint as others, etc

Table hole sorted. i.e. table re-veneered.

Bumper repaired

Dead leisure battery replaced with new one

Valeted inside (e.g. roof vents cleaned out, vacuumed, cab cleaned, cupboards cleaned, toilet cleaned, etc)

Cleaned outside (full wash, wax, buff)

V5 there

All manual there (they were in cupboard above cooker)

All 12 lighting works

All 240v lighting works

12v fridge works (e.g. when vehicle engine on)

240v fridge works

gas fridge works

water pumps work (cold and hot – both sinks and shower)

Gas Boiler works – hot water, air heating, fan, all vents working and not broken.

shower works

gas oven works + ignitor

gas grill works + ignitor

all gas hobs work + ignitor

All exterior lights work

MOT present

Gas bottles present

Regulators, pig tails, pipes in good condition

240v hook up lead present

Visual check of leisure batteries – proper rating, etc

12v should show being powered by CAR when engine running not leisure batteries (e.g. fridge)

12v car to 12v leisure switching working

all 3 batteries charging when vehicle engine on

leisure batteries charging when 240v connected

water tank present, good condition and clean.

Waste tank present in good condition.

Tv aerial check if present

Bike rack present and all parts present

Roof Ladder undamaged

Roof Rack undamaged

Awning in good condition (fully wind out and in)

Proof of Timing belt change in last 5 years (especially necessary with no service history) – No proof and this WILL need doing. I will accept it without it being done, but will require £300 discount to pay for replacement – probably cheaper for you to arrange.

All 12v power outlets checked and working

All 240v power outlets checked and working

Sink wooden cover replaced with the one in adverts on website (the new shiny one, and not the manky old thing in there now). If not got it anymore – will accept cash off price to buy replacement from Brownhills on way home

all advice appreciated.

regards,

stu

I'm a newbie too...so no real experience to answer.. but am wondering whether the dealer could/would supply you with a "Habitation" certificate.....maybe a lot of what you are asking is covered by this inspection. The more experienced funsters will advise am sure!!!!

Upvote 0

mythor

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
scotland
Funster No
Exp
one year and six months
Hi stu
like you i am new mhomer I have a kon tiki 1991 She does not have power steering and I discovered the tracking was out quite a bit and it was rock hard had to have a new rack put on. I have had a habitation check done If they should give you a paper report with a van drawing at different angles showing the damp readings it should show you where if any.area's are 16 to 20 is within normal limits. I am told. My speedo is gone and I am haveing trouble getting one as they are no longer make them . so check availability of parts Though Hymer are German and they are usually more effecient on these things
regards
mythor

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

You have dotted all the i's and crossed all the T,s but the most importand bits are

Dealer

Price?

Even though you have bought it through ebay you are still entitled to a 3 month warranty irrespective of the 'auction bit' which it wasn't as it was a classified advert, no bids.

Even if it was an 'auction' as the seller is a motor trader by trade, a warranty has to be supplied.

Peter

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

ensure the RED master key is there.
without that you cant get replacement keys or work on the immobiliser if a fault developes.

missing red key = £1000 for replacement ECU, immobiliser and door locks.
genuine black keys with transponder embedded = around £50 each.
there should be 1 master and 2 black keys

Oooops...just realised lebesset have already mentioned this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
check chassis front cross member for heavy rust, holes and splits.

they are prone to rusting but are an easy repair.

you need to get under the front and get your hands in as you cant see the bits that really rust.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back