wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
Spotted this on fleabay its a `club`where you pay this bloke £30.00 and you get a list of apparrently 325 free stopovers in pubs etc any body belong and is it any good
E Bay item no 160374842302, :ROFLMAO::thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I was a paid member last year, its a good idea if you actually use it, I didn't so wasted £30

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PFH

Free Member
Jul 15, 2008
WALES
Funster No
MH
LOW LINE COACH
Exp
3 Years
Yes we are members, found it to be good

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
I can`t understand why anybody would want to pay someone 30quid for somrthing you can do for yourself for free. I have done this for years all you have to do is ask permission from the landowner, or if its a pub ask the landlords permission to stop.Your probably going to have a drink and possibly a meal so it cost nothing to ask the landlord. This might not be for everybody, if you feel more comfortable having a prepared list of stopovers go for it and join the club. I have only been refused permission a couple of times in the thirty odd years i have been motorhoming.

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
I have only been refused an overnight parking place once by a pub and that was at the Kings House in Glencoe. (is there a smilie for embarrasment?)
Only asked because the Kings House was a great place to eat in the 90's.

The manager said 'if we let you stop then next week we will have dozens of vans'.
Since I was asking to stop to have a meal and drink I thought this would make good business sense.

Then I saw a member of staff come out the kitchen in whites with a fag in his mouth and decided I did not want to eat there so didnt bother to argue.

In the past 4 years we have used about 8 pub car parks with the landlords blessing.
Pick your place - big car park -countryside location and a good menu.

So we dont feel the need for a list BUT understand those who like to plan their trips and any list is then a great advantage.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I looked into this but while the site says that you can stay one night for free without any obligation reading the forum it is pretty much expected that you use the pub for a meal or drink. Even to the point where somebody suggested that anybody who stayed & didn't use the pub should be named & shamed :Eeek:. I tried to get it clarified on their forum but opinion seemed divided, personally if I want a meal or drink I prefer it to be my choice & if need be pay a small fee which could be waived if you do use the pub.
I believe the MCC & one of the motorcaravan mags was trying to set up a pub stopover scheme.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I believe the MCC & one of the motorcaravan mags was trying to set up a pub stopover scheme.

Practical Motorhome in conjunction with the Motorcaravanners club are trying to do the same, promises of hundreds of pubs to join has so far brought the grand total to 2. One was announced in December mag and one in latest (Jan 2010) mag. Going to take a while I think.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Easy answer to saving £30 !

Make up a page or whatever you call it where all Funsters can add a pub to it, any one who is a member of another site could quietly do a copy and paste jobbie.::bigsmile:

Another resaon for joininf FUN or free:thumb:

Peter

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Not just pubs. You could do the same thing for people with land, or drives, that they wouldn't mind fellow funsters doing a stopover on.

Seem to remember this being mentioned before.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Easy answer to saving £30 !

Make up a page or whatever you call it where all Funsters can add a pub to it, any one who is a member of another site could quietly do a copy and paste jobbie.::bigsmile:

Peter

The problem is, getting people to submit locations.. how many have contributed to the Fun camp site reviews ? .. precious few, and it's not only on this forum, it's the same on all..

People are 'precious' about wild camp places and stopover information.. fearing to share lest their little bit of heaven is swamped by others.. so keep info to themselves, which I can understand ..

I started a Google map to share my knowledge of sites and aires suitable for RVs.. Olley assisted by adding his and a few others contributed.. but not many.
To date it has over 200 locations and the map has had almost 30,000 views .. if each one of these viewers, or even 1 in 10 had submitted a site ... ( many of course are repeat viewings so it's not really 30k individual people) but you see my point..

A Google map for pub stopovers would be the best way forward, it could have either open collaboration so that anyone can submit or if there is a volunteer, closed..
I prefer the second option.. it could get untidy if left open, and entries have to be cross checked either using Google earth or from personal knowledge ..

Any volunteers ?

jim

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
I have only been refused an overnight parking place once by a pub and that was at the Kings House in Glencoe. (is there a smilie for embarrassment?)
Only asked because the Kings House was a great place to eat in the 90's.

The manager said 'if we let you stop then next week we will have dozens of vans'.
Since I was asking to stop to have a meal and drink I thought this would make good business sense.

Then I saw a member of staff come out the kitchen in whites with a fag in his mouth and decided I did not want to eat there so didn't bother to argue.

In the past 4 years we have used about 8 pub car parks with the landlords blessing.
Pick your place - big car park -countryside location and a good menu.

So we don't feel the need for a list BUT understand those who like to plan their trips and any list is then a great advantage.

I made the mistake of stopping at this place for lunch on my way up to the Outer Hebrides !
The beer was sour,
The food even worse and the staff (all Australians) seemed to think that being served by them was a privilege !!
The toilets were a health hazard.I should have viewed them before I ordered, I would then have made my excuses and hurriedly left.....:shout: :shout: :shout:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I dont know why some people are reluctant to share wild camping spots, Wildies are in a minority. Most MH owners in the UK like to go on campsites so its not as if you tell someone about a spot that suddenly 400 vans are going to turn up.

I would happily contribute to a google map thingy or database if someone sets it up.

Heres three pubs in the Lake District for starters

The Pooley Bridge Inn, Ullswater - Actively encourages MH, even has a sign on his van saying Campervans welcome.

The Sun Inn Pooley bridge, Ullswater, smaller car park but allows vans

The Pheasant Inn Bassenthwaite. Not actually at the pub but the side road layby 100 yards or so beyond.

BD

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back