Compact 2-berth motorhome recommendations (1 Viewer)

Diane McG

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Funster No
Have just registered on this site as we are going to become "motorhomers" for the first time in anticipation of a Grand European Tour next year.

Want something reliable, not too big but with enough facilities to survive as we not "campers" as such!

Will obviously have to be a used model as our price limit will be around £15k to £20k.

As a newbie, thought Tech Forum would be the best place to ask!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Want something reliable, not too big but with enough facilities to survive as we not "campers" as such!

Will obviously have to be a used model as our price limit will be around £15k to £20k.

Price range is OK for a decent van.

For two your immediate split is Panel Van Conversion or coach built on a MH chassis.

Panel Van gets you economy and compact size to go anyway. But narrow inside.
Coach built gets you better width but more to go wrong in terms of leaks and probably less mpg.

Get a coach built with over cab "Luton" bed and you have a good bed but pay for it in fuel.

Big choice is fixed bed or make it every night on the seats.

After that split it's all bets off because you are buying a home and we don't know your tastes. Just get out there and climb in and photograph as many as you can 'till you go dizzy.

It's just one mass of compromises.

Once you've found the layout then find one well maintained and dry.

Finally Enjoy it - have FUN.

OP
OP
D

Diane McG

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Funster No
Thanks for that - there is a Motorhome Spring Fair on near us (in Newark) early next year so will be going along but it will be useful to know a bit about what type of thing we are looking for so we won't be totally overwhelmed as there are 150 stands!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Just nip up and have a look at Brownhills, should give you some ideas.

I only said look remember!:Eeek:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Diane McG

WELCOME to MH Fun

Have to agree with Brian on this, nothing can replace looking.
What I find a great van many will look at and think I could never live in that, personal taste and life style dictate so much. Will you mainly eat in or out, stay on all singing all dancing sites or wild camp. So much needs to be taken into account.

Just keep looking your van is out there it's just a matter of finding it.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for that - there is a Motorhome Spring Fair on near us (in Newark)

There's bound to be a FUN presence. Just look for the flag and come and say hello, that's if the camping is not cordoned off, which it might be. We'll have to smuggle in in a big carrier bag if it is.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We're newbies like you, we got our MH in June. We found looking around was what worked for us. There are a good number of dealers in the Area:

Brownhills (Newark)
Link Removed (Gunthorp)
Oak Tree Motorhomes (Sutton in Ashfield)
OCT Motorhomes (Southwell)

We visited all of the above and viewed hundreds of 'vans, it was a long but worthwhile experience. What you think you want and what you actually want can turn out to be totally different and looking is the way to find that out.

Greg

OP
OP
D

Diane McG

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Funster No
Thanks for the replies so far - is it like ebay here? Can you do the TBH and OH sort of stuff to save time?

We are really DIY car tourers stopping at hotels en route but our "big trip" will be at least a couple of months and funds won't permit such luxury. Will no doubt be eating out mainly but will save if we can have cheap breakfasts and picnic lunches - I also don't fancy trudging out to toilet blocks at night so need some sort of loo! May well treat ourselves to hotels occasionally for a bit of ensuite and civilisation!

Haven't done any "caravanning" since children were small/we were poor well over twenty years ago and I am sure site facilities have come on leaps and bounds since then - though even then we had a contrast in an absolutely dire place in Sussex as opposed to a really nice in Interlaken!

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Hi we had a Compass 115 coachbuilt for 2 years and as a reasonably sized " small " motorhome we found it a brilliant choice we only moved on to our present motorhome because we wanted a fixed bed otherwise we would still be using the 115 , for a couple using it for continental touring it took a lot of beating highly reccomened.:thumb:

OP
OP
D

Diane McG

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Funster No
Been busy copying and pasting replies and links so that I can look at everything when I have more time than right now (I am in the process of getting our Sunday dinner!) - later on I shall be "googling" like mad! Once again, I appreciate people taking the time and trouble to reply - this must be a bit like ebay discussion boards judging by the smileys and funny "whatsitlines" and the bottom of posts ::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for the replies so far - is it like ebay here? Can you do the TBH and OH sort of stuff to save time?

for a bit of ensuite and civilisation!

TBH IYKWIM I think that OTW people in here would not pick up on it. BYMMV.

What do you mean civilisation ! Get the right MH and it will be better than a lot of hotels and you don't have folk walking past the door or over your head all night.

But of all facilities the toilet is the least civilised because they are usually a bit cramped and some poor sod, usually known as man, has to empty them.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We have had two compact 2 berth Motorhomes . The first was Swift Sundance 530 LP. It was 18ft long and 10ft 3ins high. The WC facilities were spacious compared to other models. It returned 30mpg on a mixture of driving. We have just px'd it but pics can be seen here.
Motorhomes.Mobi | Used Swift Sundance 530LP Fiat for sale

Remember to haggle, there is always a deal to be done, even with the current shortage of s/h Motorhomes.

We px'd it against a Rapido709f which we have had for a few weeks now.
Motorhomes.Mobi | Used Rapido 709F Fiat for sale

We reckon we could easily live for a long period in the Swift, the bed made up in minutes and there was plenty of storage, and the rear kitchen meant I could relax in the lounge while Mrs Colpot cooked the dinner::bigsmile:. On a couple of trips to France last year we ate out only two or three times in three weeks.

Good luck in your quest and I am sure if you follow the advice of others, look, look and look again and you will find what suits you!

dogmanlpool

Free Member
Jun 9, 2009
liverpool
Funster No
MH
mercedes 609d
Have just registered on this site as we are going to become "motorhomers" for the first time in anticipation of a Grand European Tour next year.

hello and welcome just thought i would let you no that iam in the middle of building 2 motorhomes 1 is nearly complete its a 56 reg ldv maxus with only 46,000 on the clock ? and its got a VM DEISEL ENGINE just have a look on the net and see how good the engines are ? they are for sale and they will be a lot cheaper than your budget extra money for more traveling and very reliable full history vehicals ? anyway PM if any good well worth a look ? thanks keith::bigsmile:

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Rapido 709 20ft long Expensive to buy new, but secondhand cash price would be near your price range ??

Rgds

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Theres no substitute for looking at lots of vans for real, Lie on the beds, sit on the loo etc. It can be quite fun and costs nothing::bigsmile:. Buying the wrong van is very expensive though :cry:

OP
OP
D

Diane McG

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Grantham, Lincolnshire
Funster No
:thanks:Well, the end of my first day and first post on this site - thanks for all the help - think that "thank you" option a really good idea - at least people can see that you have seen and appreciated their replies. Just done some more copying and pasting of replies - found the small tips just as useful and the larger recommendations.

Goodnight for now - blimey - how sad am I - putting moving smiley things on posts - never even done that on ebay!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
blimey - how sad am I - putting moving smiley things on posts

Drop acronyms pick up smilies. Yep you've come down in the world. But it works in a FUN place.

Smilies are optional. Some of us think that Jim should charge for them, he'd make a fortune.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Diane

Brian (hilldweller) is right on the 'pros 'n cons' of panel van or coachbuilt. Your budget range is excellent and will enable you to get a very decent camper or motorhome.

I'm forever banging on about prioritising with parts availability and costs being top of the list. It's all well and good having a nice comfortable pretty looking mh or camper, but not much use if parts become difficult to obtain. As an example we had a poster on here with a five year old Fiat based motorhome unable to buy something as simple as a damn fuel filler cap for it even from the main dealer! To me thats simply unacceptable. Check on basic servicing costs such as clutch replacement....some can be horrendously expensive, whilst others, sensibly priced that won't need you to rob a bank. Check also that the base vehicle you choose has plentiful parts availability in any european country outside the UK without having to have parts flow in from across the globe, otherwise you face the choice of being returned to the UK on the back of a low loader (embarassing), or wasting time sitting around waiting for a part to arrive......a ruined holiday.

For a bit of guidance have a look at this link here;
Link Removed

These are ideal for two people. A friend of mine and his wife has this identical model and they have used it regularly to tour Spain.

Prices range from around £10k for a ten year old van upwards for later low mileage models, but they are highly sought after so second hand prices vary considerably. AutoTrader is a good site to begin searching.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back