Do you BBQ ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Do you BBQ while away in your vans if so gas or real coals ? and what bbq is in your opiion the ONE to have and for what reasons ? Also if using gas do you use sperate bottle or have a van connection point ?

THANX in advance

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we use a Cadac carrychef delux gas BBQ and cant fault it...gas point on the van side so no extra bottles or disconnecting from the van.

we also have a small foldup charcoal BBQ...a little bigger than the size of an A4 sheet of paper...but a real pain transporting it....mucky, horrible thing:Doh:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We use a small portable gas job, el cheapo and carry a small calor cylinder. Ace cook :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
Do you BBQ while away in your vans if so gas or real coals ? and what bbq is in your opiion the ONE to have and for what reasons ? Also if using gas do you use sperate bottle or have a van connection point ?

THANX in advance

I use a Cobb bbq. Fantastic bit of kit. You can use it as a bbq grill, as an oven, even cook a full blown roast dinner. As used by hairy bikers!!!

Cheers
Alan

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
We use a Weber Smokey Joe, small charcoal bbq. When we have finished cooking, it doubles up as a camp fire, lovely

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Cadac CarriChef. Great bit of kit although not the lightest. Very easy, convenient and versatile. As well as barbecuing, it's good for frying things like onions on the dished hot plate. This keeps smells and fat splashes out of the van. Food tastes good, but it does not give the authentic char-grilled flavour. But then some southern European sites are a bit sensitive about allowing naked flames or charcoal due to the fire risk in high-summer.
We use it with a separate small butane calor bottle: might get a gas point fitted to the van one day if we use the Cadac sufficiently to warrant it.

Philip

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
If we are on hook up we use a very large George Formby grill (it's turned out nice again).

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I think you will find that i am the motorhome fun resident expert BBQ person.:drink:

What you need are real coals or big massive pine cones when abroad, petrol, and lots of matches.:winky:

Alternately you could use the outdoor cooking system commonly known as the cadac. this is my choice due to the first line being absoloutly untrue :winky:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We always barbeque using real coals.

None of this "cheating" using gas bbqs or cadacs -

We have two bbqs in the camper a small one for just the three of us

and a bigger one that we get out at funster meets.

They arent that messy - but can be as messy as you want them to be,

are not too difficult to get going and its good fun.

We dont see the point in carrying extra weight and extra bottles that are often needed for the gas barbies or the extra space some take up inside when charcoal weighs far lighter. We put it up in a matter of 5 minutes and the leave it up until we move. It can stay outside without fear of being nicked - they are very cheap to replace.

Also you can see how much charcoal you have left, if you run of gas whilst cooking you are stuffed !!!!-

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
The best BBQs are impromptu. Dig a hole fill it with a fire and cook a coo, or a sheep, pig etc. Just remember the beer!:thumb:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We use a table top royal gas bbq, with aluminium trays to stop the fat & grease dropping on the coals, with a fixed bbq point which I've fitted to the camper,so no extra bottles to carry.

John.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
We have a Cadac Safari Chef and a Cobb

The Cobb is a pain in the whatsit to clean and as another poster said some places will not allow charcoal BBQ's.

The Cadac Safari Chef is up and running in a few mins and easier to clean, if you get a Bullfinch Gas BBQ point HERE plumbed into your van gas system you don't even need to carry a bottle for it:thumb:

If I could only have one it would be the Cadac.

But I have to admit the Cobb does a great whole chicken roast:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
When I lived in S.Africa in the 70s, I learned how to BBQ or Brie as it's called there..
no fancy or expensive kit , just a piece of expanded metal sat on stones over hot embers >>>

Link Removed

I still carry a piece and use it whenever the opportunity arrises .. (not very often I grant you) you can't beat a proper open fire..

Also have a Cadac (minus two legs, another story :Doh:) but prefer using a small charcoal barbie.. can't beat the taste no matter what anyone says .. :Cool:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We bought a Cadac Carry chef last week and a gas connection is being fitted even as we speak ::bigsmile: We'll no doubt eulogise about it if it's good. As for flavour-a sprinkle of Montreal Spice works wonders-we thank our Canadian reles for this discovery.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi all, We have a gas bbq built into the side of the bus,that slides out on a tray when you open the door. But I pref the round cast iron gridle which they sell in the supermarkets in Spain. Put on top of a round gas ring pluged into the side of the bus, or on top of hot embers if your on a beach. Perfek.:Smile:

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Do you BBQ while away in your vans if so gas or real coals ? and what bbq is in your opiion the ONE to have and for what reasons ?

I much prefer to barbeque using portable, rectangular coal-fired Weber which I've had for 16 years.
However, in many parts of Europe, due to the forest fire risk, only gas barbeques are allowed and over the past two years, we have used a Cadac Carry-Chef.
It is a good outdoor cooker - for grilling, frying and making crepes, but as stated earlier, you don't get the char-grilled flavour of the true barbeque.
I carry a CampingGaz cylinder for it as that can be easily replaced all over Europe.

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
It is a good outdoor cooker - for grilling, frying and making crepes, but as stated earlier, you don't get the char-grilled flavour of the true barbeque.

Oh yes you do.:thumb: We use the wire mesh griddle for bbq-ing on our cadac and it's only the fat dripping onto the hot surface below and flare ups that gives you that taste. The charcoal itself does nothing to improve taste, you would need wood chips for that.::bigsmile:

steve

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
The Cobb is a pain in the whatsit to clean and as another poster said some places will not allow charcoal BBQ's.

The Cadac Safari Chef is up and running in a few mins and easier to clean, if you get a Bullfinch Gas BBQ point HERE plumbed into your van gas system you don't even need to carry a bottle for it:thumb:

If I could only have one it would be the Cadac.

But I have to admit the Cobb does a great whole chicken roast:thumb:
Agree on the Cobb being a pain to clean. We generally wipe it over while away and clean it when we get home. Soak all the bits in biological washing powder for a couple of hours and all the crap comes off really easy.

Alan

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Charcoal for taste,Gas for convenience Simples.I have eight Barbis of various types and am currently lusting after the CADAC .The one I use most is a Gaz bottle with a burner screwed on top and a cast iron plate on top of this really simple and good results,I can also put saucepans or a kettle on the burner,so as all camping assesories should be it's multi purpose. I also have what they call the hub cap, which fits my Gaz bottle, it is a dished disc which you put a drop of water in and has a plate on top [non stick] and you cook on that.I do have an external Barbi connection on my van but I don' t use it much.:thumb::thumb:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
hi, we use gas due to the fact that I like my food cooked (probably my lack of skills with charcoal) we currently have a table top gas bbq but I think I will invest in a cadac one next year they seem easy to use and look tidy. We put the bbq in the top box and use the spare bottle as we do not have a gas point.

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
weve always got a couple of those cheap disposable jobs that you get from supermarkets and pound shops.The food tastes just as good:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
has anyone figured it out yet ?

use a BBQ with a griddle plate and you have a large, gas FRYING PAN

use it with a grill and you have a BBQ

:Doh::roflmto:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We used to use the disposable BBQ's as we liked the charcoal flavour. As the new van has an outside gas connector we got a Cadac Safari Chef. Never looked back, great bit of kit and flavour is just as good as charcoal in our opinion. :thumb:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
STA60398.jpg

It's O.K. Wee Burnip is wating to eat, not be eaten!:Eeek:

The grill is a shelf from a dumped oven, Pat. pending!:winky:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Oh yes you do.:thumb: We use the wire mesh griddle for bbq-ing on our cadac and it's only the fat dripping onto the hot surface below and flare ups that gives you that taste. The charcoal itself does nothing to improve taste, you would need wood chips for that.::bigsmile:

steve

Ever tried sprigs of Rosemary, far better than woodchips IMHO.:thumb:

Works on gas or coal.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back