I need a few questions answering (1 Viewer)

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
I need a few questions answering if anybody can..........????????
I passed my test for a motorcycle in 1965
I and the wife also passed our tests for a car driving licence in 1968.
This is all in the UK
My groups on my licence consist of
Group A (category B1, B, BE, C1, C1E ,D1 ,D1E, F, K, L, N, P,) GROUP D, Group E, according to DVLA
I have been riding/driving motorcycles, cars ,vans, motorhomes, tractors, lorries up to 7500kg and pulling caravans. trailers, all my life.

We live in France and we want to change our UK licences to a French licence,

Question 1 Will all my class/groups letters on my licence be transferred to my French licence !!!!????
Meaning can I drive up to 7500kg on my UK licence………. (This is the most important one, because of my motorhome) or will it go back to 3500kg

Will my motorcycle still carry on?

Has anybody now living in France already changed over to a French licence from a UK licence and what happened.

If you passed your test in France before 20th of January 1975 you are allowed up to 7500kg after 20th of January 1975 you are only allowed up to 3500kg.

Similar to the UK but that was the 1st January 1997 where as if you had passed your test before this date you could drive up to 7500kg…and after this date only up to 3500kg

If ever we got a ticket in France it would be changed automatic with the fine,
So I would rather change it myself
Also my licence runs out when 70 another 8 years time…and then I will need re apply for a new one ?? In France not the UK
But I also have read with a French licence there is no age limit

In fact both me and the wife set off today to the Prefecture in ARRAS,
With all our paper work in hand, with what they had informed us we require by email to have them changed,
Having arrived at the correct place, and then to be told it was somewhere else !!! When all the time it was just 50 meters in front of us just around the corner, we put 1.80€ in parking machine..And off inside we went…..phew...inside were two very loooooooong queues, then when our number finaly came up on the machine.. so off to the counter/booth we did go…….the Madame behind the counter told us the person that does the licence is not here today, and we will have to come back tomorrow!... because it is a very important job dealing with other countries driving licence and nobody else could do it BUT THIS ONE PERSON

(Both Chris and I passed our test on the same day same month same year in the same town with different examiners, Chris in the morning me in the afternoon......41 years driving each) now that’s a bit of useless information?

Mel

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thought you were going to say you got a parking fine as well...:roflmto:

there i was thinking its only the english that politely stand in a queue for days on end only to get to the counter as its closing. :ROFLMAO:
well i always pick the wrong checkout line anyway. :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
at least its europe.....

my ex immigrated from south africa with a full S/A licence but still had to take the UK test to qualify. :Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
at least its europe.....

my ex immigrated from south africa with a full S/A licence but still had to take the UK test to qualify. :Angry:

John....
What I have read in Europe you can use your english licence as long as you want ...(meaning you do not after to take a test after 12 months because you are in Europe)...untill you have a problem then it is changed........but a lot of the french police are not keen when you are a resident in france using a uk licence.........also I have read or heard that your licence acts as a french licence while in that country ...meaning, if there is no renewal date at 70 in france then your uk licence will be the same, it will not have to be renewed....but I can not find that information.............and as there are many cameras going up over here (like the UK) it is so easy with the modern car to slip over the limit and "FLASH" even though 99% of the time you keep to the limits

and I am still on the large A4 pink licence

Mel

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
We also live in France I think the answer is yes your groups transfer, the licence goes on past 70 unlike UK amd it is only mandatory to change your licence in the event of getting a fine while driving a registered to you French vehicle. However this is all likely to change with the haarmonisation of EU driving licences.

For better advice post the question on one of anglinfo.com french egional sites.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We also live in France I think the answer is yes your groups transfer, the licence goes on past 70 unlike UK amd it is only mandatory to change your licence in the event of getting a fine while driving a registered to you French vehicle. However this is all likely to change with the haarmonisation of EU driving licences.

For better advice post the question on one of anglinfo.com french egional sites.

Hi Ian.......thank you for the info......do you know what is going to change !!!!! ...
have you changed your licence.......??
Yes all my vehicles are french registered my car my motorhome and my trailer over 2000kg...all on different french plates all with the french log books C/G
Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Licence ...

Hi Melvn, my mate from France says as they do not have the 7.5t class your new French licence will be stamped for HGV:Smile:

But don't do it until you have too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back