Older motorhomes (1 Viewer)

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
I'm still trying to decide on what sort/age/price of MH to buy!

Now I'm considering keeping the money in the bank, and buying an older one. This one caught my eye:

Link Removed

Good value (with scooter incl)?

Any problems with older MHs I should know about?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Now I'm considering keeping the money in the bank, and buying an older one. This one caught my eye:

Link Removed

Depending on condition that could be "The Thinking Man's ( or Woman's ) MH".

Probably better built than the modern plasticky ones. And as long as it has all the right facilities you are laughing all the way to the bank - to draw out very little money.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Richardn

Free Member
Nov 16, 2009
Trossachs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Newbie!
You get a lot more for your money buying a Yank though. If you can cope with the extra size!

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
We had a 20 year old Pilote based on Talbot Express.
Solid as a rock.
The big advantage of the older vehicle is that you can mod them without feeling that you are destroying the resale value.
Net result is you are more likely to get the vehicle you want.
Make sure that the chassis is sound. All else is replaceable/repairable. Even damp is easier to cure on older machines - and less likely too, IMHO.
Patrick

OP
OP
JumboBeef

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Thanks! Intereting responces.

You get a lot more for your money buying a Yank though. If you can cope with the extra size!

I am tempted by a Yank but 1/ the MH can only have a max lenght of about 20' (ish) due to a tight turn onto my drive from the lane outside and 2/ although I love V8's, I'd rather have 25mpg than 12.........

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Link Removed

Not that much of a bargain really. I'm surprised he got that much.

When I was searching for a camper I spotted a 1990 one of these mh's on Auto Trader for £1750. It was well underpriced and was sold in less than two hours of it appearing on the site.

MH/camper prices are pretty much wide open. Another example I spotted only last year was a trader selling a 1996 P reg Ford Transit Duetto for just £9.5k. Needless to say that had sold immediately too (just try and find a P reg Duetto at that price even now!).

Best thing is just keep scouring the ads.....eventually you will find a genuine bargain....but there aren't that many!

clayx

Free Member
Oct 21, 2009
south wales
Funster No
Exp

Link Removed

if you are thinking of buying an older m/h then the autosleeper talisman takes a bit of whacking , my first van was a 92 talisman and it was like new, you would struggle to buy a better built van today.

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
I also bought an older model works great with us. Ours is a Fiat Ducato built 1991, Buerstner.

Besides the good remarks already made:
1. i prefer the 2.5 TD (turbo/diesel), has got a lot more power than the regular. I hate to be a snail on the highway or in the mountains
2. check whether it has power steering, without it it will be a good muscle training, especially when you are driving in the mountains
3. make sure you know the age and state of the timing belt
4. have the motor checked thoroughly

Hope you will have a lot of fun

Paul and Ineke

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We have an old 1990 Talbot Express and to be quite honest, as long as you have it properly inspected and check for damp and ensure everything works as it should you should have no problems.

You do need to be aware that manufacturers have no obligation to provide spare parts once a vehicle reaches 10 years old. Some Talbot Express parts are difficult to get hold of.

danie_jc

Free Member
Sep 5, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
I have an H reg Merc 100D and its great! 30+ mpg, lots of legroom for driver (very important for me as I am 6'5"), nice size 18' long and 2 double beds. Best advice is to view a load and ensure that it has a layout that will work for you, then check for rot and damp and that water/heater/rings/shower etc works.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
It all comes down to individual circumstances i.e.finance, whether you want comfort over economy and also whether you are abled bodied enough to jump in to cab over beds or even garage over.

We have had 4 vans over the last 20 years started with 1977 Sherpa Highwayman, soon learned that I didn't want to have to make beds when someone was feeling poorly thus causing inconvienence to everyone else. Or being trampled underfoot when the kids wanted to exit the van. Changed to a Americano Monte Carlo which was a Volkswagen LT40 base vehicle ( 2 Litre petrol Audi engine ) modified by a company in the midlands during the early 80's I believe they made about 10 and also a smaller Monte Cristo model these were a cheaper copy of the earlier American R V's, The layout was 4 seater Dinette in the front behind 2 fixed cab seats with Luton over for two adults, centre Kitchen with shower oppossite and double bed at the rear. This van we found as comfortable as our current R V it was unfortuneatly very underpowered weighing in at 3.8 ton. It died whilst pressure washing one day in 2004 I cut the roof off, i.e. the aluminium side panels had aged so much they had become weak at the edges of the roof line and what I thought was a dirty mark was actualy the wall insulation. After doing my sums as regards the cost of repair vs resale value, it had to go. Next we had a Hymer 1996 24 foot with Garage, mechanicaly I couldn't fault it, never let me down in the 4 years that we owned it, personaly inside I felt was like craming a quart into a pint pot, everything worked and the standard of workmanship was far better than any English at that time. However due to being stuck on gradual slopes of grass on two occassions plus my wife having a fall and being unable to get in the over garage bed it had to go.

Next we went to Rexhall Vision 1997 American R V 7.5L petrol /LPG.
The main advantages, No climbing into bed and everything you should ever need and the capacity to cater for at least 5 days with out filling or emptying anything, absolute bliss.

Disadvantages only two that I can think of MPG and size, on some occassions it is to wide/length. So you use your little grey cells and only go where you no you can, if a single decker Bus can go down a road so can you.

Costs bearing in mind we are covering a 20 year period so the Sherpa was £1450, The LT40 was £10,000. The Hymer was £25,000 and the R.V. was £14,400 with a £2000 LPG conversion. So running an R.V. isn't realy as expensive as you first think. The vehicle is of a similar build quality to the Hymer but with ALL the extras as normal in a greater space which gives you better comfort. All vehicles other than the Sherpa had Toads and the difference in fuel consumption was negligible in fact with the LT 40 I had an Automatic Hyundi Accent on a Ambulance and toured all round western Scotland :Doh

Hope that helps any newby with ideas

brian

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I'm another fan of older motorhomes, although as others have said: condition is everything with rust - and particularly damp - being the absolute deal breakers.

My son-in-law and daughter have a 1996 Compass Navigator which is still sound as a pound, while our own 1998 Bessacarr E695 remains in solid good health. Neither of them is old in the grand scheme of things, but while they may lack the glitz and frills or their more recent sucessors they do seem to be more strongly built - maybe as a result of their relative simplicity.

To my mine, the rot seems to have started to set in from around 2000/2001. We've looked at British, Germany and Italian motorhomes from this decade onwards and they somehow seem flimsier than those from the 1990s. You also tend to get more in the way of space and basic quality for your money, and with lighter weights too (which is something I can't fathom out).

I'd also go for a higher mileage vehicle: sitting around and doing nothing is no more good for vehicles than it is for humans.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
It all comes down to individual circumstances i.e.finance, whether you want comfort over economy....
As with most, finances should dictate the choice though some allow the heart to rule their head and whack up a fat loan.

Personally I would priorotise parts availabilty and maintenance costs, ie, how much does a cambelt job cost or clutch replacement? Things like that. One guy on here had to fork out £10 grand for a new engine simply because they 'don't do re-con', whilst another could not get something as simple as a fuel filler cap for a five year old motorhome. Thats just plain crazy.

Look around at what is popular on the road. The more common the better. Choose one with a 'common as muck' base vehicle and you won't go far wrong. Buy something obscure, and you risk being stuck at the side of the road.

I chose a Ford Transit for this very reason. It's sixteen years old........but I can still get brand new parts for it 'off the shelf', plus used parts are plentiful and easily sourced, and it's cheap and simple to maintain.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
older motorhomes are like older women do i need to say Moore
With a bit of TLC,Know-how, dedication and attention they are as reliable and more Fun than a younger model.:Cool:

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
As with most, finances should dictate the choice though some allow the heart to rule their head and whack up a fat loan.

Personally I would priorotise parts availabilty and maintenance costs, ie, how much does a cambelt job cost or clutch replacement? Things like that. One guy on here had to fork out £10 grand for a new engine simply because they 'don't do re-con', whilst another could not get something as simple as a fuel filler cap for a five year old motorhome. Thats just plain crazy.

Look around at what is popular on the road. The more common the better. Choose one with a 'common as muck' base vehicle and you won't go far wrong. Buy something obscure, and you risk being stuck at the side of the road.

I chose a Ford Transit for this very reason. It's sixteen years old........but I can still get brand new parts for it 'off the shelf', plus used parts are plentiful and easily sourced, and it's cheap and simple to maintain.

I have a 30 year old rv and I still can get parts for it.

If I can't, I submit the Dimensions and get it made, or make it myself.

It actually gives me more satisfaction than doing things the easy way.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
I concur, although my RV isn't as old, my first trip was 400 miles so learning all the time whilst driving home from Ipswich, arrived home and reversed into my own wooden gate and broke the rear left tail light cluster. On to the web and there they were still readily available. Virtualy all the american RV 's up to around 2000 used the same light clusters so they are on the shelf albeit sometimes not in the same congiguration but you just swap the lens around. Its the same with the chassis cab Ford F-460 no problem getting any part secondhand or new, I find I can go on an american web site find the part numbers then order it over here or if not available get it direct from the states then fit it myself.
I would never buy new even if I won the lottery, let someone else iron out all the problems then buy when its about 4 years old after the first MOT just to be safe.

Brian

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I concur, although my RV isn't as old, my first trip was 400 miles so learning all the time whilst driving home from Ipswich, arrived home and reversed into my own wooden gate and broke the rear left tail light cluster. On to the web and there they were still readily available. Virtualy all the american RV 's up to around 2000 used the same light clusters so they are on the shelf albeit sometimes not in the same congiguration but you just swap the lens around. Its the same with the chassis cab Ford F-460 no problem getting any part secondhand or new, I find I can go on an american web site find the part numbers then order it over here or if not available get it direct from the states then fit it myself.
I would never buy new even if I won the lottery, let someone else iron out all the problems then buy when its about 4 years old after the first MOT just to be safe.

Brian

Sounds like a Man with sense and the means to achieve through Dedication.

I personally love the challenge because without that ,What is there?

The kids love it too.:Cool:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I have a 30 year old rv and I still can get parts for it.

If I can't, I submit the Dimensions and get it made, or make it myself.
Good to know your parts availability is plentiful. But submitting dimensions to a local tin basher or knocking the part out yourself isn't very practical when stuck at the side of the road in some far flung eastern bloc country...unless you always carry a lathe, press and supply of metal around with you?

As for parts, we all know that almost anything can pack up quite unexpectedly and though you may be able to obtain that part at home in the UK, can that part be bought 'off the shelf' and fitted within a day in some foreign country? It's very comforting to know if it can. If it can't, then it makes sense to look at a vehicle type which can facilitate that.

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
From what have seen/heard it can be quicker and cheaper getting parts shipped from the states to wherever you have broken down than if you had a European unit.

American service and stock is second to none and they are open more hours.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
yet again I concur with Bashers, I have communicated with suppliers in the states on a couple of occassions, in each case they thourghly check with you exactly the part you want and if they dont have it they will say so and not sell you something just in case it might fit your particular rig. I tried to get two fan belts recently in this country from a national motor factors, gave the Manufactures name, code number and all relevant information and was told to take it off and measure it, need I say more.

The Americans can normaly get spares any where in the world at reasonable costs unlike there european counterparts.

Brian

Kev D

Free Member
Aug 21, 2009
farnborough hants
Funster No
MH
Renault Trafic
Exp
Newbie Aug 09
older mh

i bought an older motor home a 92 renault trafic t1100 holdsworth rainbow.
waxoiled from new 42000 miles, what a find i could'nt want for more and only £3000 :thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Good to know your parts availability is plentiful. But submitting dimensions to a local tin basher or knocking the part out yourself isn't very practical when stuck at the side of the road in some far flung eastern bloc country...unless you always carry a lathe, press and supply of metal around with you?

As for parts, we all know that almost anything can pack up quite unexpectedly and though you may be able to obtain that part at home in the UK, can that part be bought 'off the shelf' and fitted within a day in some foreign country? It's very comforting to know if it can. If it can't, then it makes sense to look at a vehicle type which can facilitate that.

Quite Honestly...An Exhaust is an Exhaust...And the dimensions aren't drastically different to any commercial one.....In a get-you-home situation it would be no problem at all.

The answer to the part being bought and fitted in another country within 24 hours is no...I import from the USA.

The engine and transmission is not stressed at all.

I'd like to see a lot of parts for an older motorhome being sourced easily in a foreign country.

Older Nowadays normally meaning anything over 7 years...

That is where servicing and pre planning and TLC comes in.

It's part of the spirit of adventure.

There is...after all.. the option of recovery to the uk.

I have heard of owners of much newer motorhomes having problems with parts.

I don't see it as a problem.

Most common mechanically failing items have been replaced or fully checked over anyway.

I'm sure my Local "tin basher" would be very offended by that remark considering the quality of the finished result and speed of turnaround in getting it to me.

Better to know your motor and be able to improvise if necessary than rely totally on others.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
From what have seen/heard it can be quicker and cheaper getting parts shipped from the states to wherever you have broken down than if you had a European unit.

American service and stock is second to none and they are open more hours.
A couple of years ago my brake master cylinder packed up in Dachau which isn't a particularly large town. Believe it or not there just happens to be a Ford Garage as there is in almost every town in Germany. A brand new one was fitted and my van was ready to drive away by noon the next day. It's a sixteen year old vehicle.

Somehow had the same happened in your case, I doubt it would have left the States by then, let alone be fitted! Also of course I didn't have to pay to have the damn thing flown in from the other side of the globe!

As for opening hours in the US, no idea but Ford main dealer hours in Germany are as indicated in the photograph. Werkstatt is the workshop and lunch break is a strict max of thirty minutes. Saturday working is not overtime either, it's compulsory.

2efq5nl.jpg

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I'd like to see a lot of parts for an older motorhome being sourced easily in a foreign country.
AD...I think the post reflecting my own personal experience answers that statement.....though I can only speak as far as Ford is concerned. Ford main agents can be found throughout west and eastern europe quite easily. In particular Transits, like here in the UK, are 'common as muck' with easy access to off the shelf parts.

btw; I use the term 'tin basher' with respect. It's what we call our sheet metal worker on the factory where I work.
The guy is a skilled man and what he can turn out is clear for all to see.

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I also loved old motorhomes then I got lucky, got a relatively new one, would I go back, I'd rather not but might have to.

Let's be a wee bit sensible here now.:whatthe:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I also loved old motorhomes then I got lucky, got a relatively new one, would I go back, I'd rather not but might have to.

Let's be a wee bit sensible here now.:whatthe:
Like Hymer owners for example?

I wonder just why owners of later model Hymers have 'wised up', got rid and gone back to older model ones? Simple. Because everything now is built down to a price and quality is sacrificed.

Ironically because the market for older model Hymers is on the increase.....so is the price of a good one! In many cases a late 90's model will actually cost you more than buying a low mileage 03 reg.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back