RV weights (1 Viewer)

si sketch and sheryle

Free Member
Sep 18, 2008
Funster No
Hi

Thinking of changing our fifth wheeler for a A class american RV and am now concerned about whether I am able to drive it on my 1969 license.

I have heard that despite these type of vehicles (over 7.5Ton) being non commercial, I might need to get an HGV license. Is this correct?

If I do, how much roughly would it cost?

Thanks

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hello

Be careful of the weights you are quoting - the licence limit is 7500Kgs which is a tad less that 7½ tons.

However, if you want to drive an RV OVER 7500kgs you will need a 'C' Licence - it will take you about a week of lessons plus the test - plus you need to pay for a Doctor's medical at £80 or so plus the various other tests - all together it will cost you around £1000 - plus another similar sum if you want to tow your car behind it!

Mind you, by that time you wil be qualified to drive a full-blown Articulated Lorry - so you can always take on a part-time job should you need the money!

For exact details see <here>

Last edited:

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

Thinking of changing our fifth wheeler for a A class american RV and am now concerned about whether I am able to drive it on my 1969 license.

I have heard that despite these type of vehicles (over 7.5Ton) being non commercial, I might need to get an HGV license. Is this correct?

Thanks

Hi
Check out www.direct.gov.uk look under driving motorhome.

Costs vary from area to area for LGV training (old HGV) i would allow between £750-£1000.00 plus VAT. Also depends on how many days training you require.

You would need to do C (Rigid) then pay again to do C+E (Artic)

Ant & Debs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Or you could always buy below the magic 7 1/2 tons! My Winnebago Itasca Suncruiser just sold was below the weight limit.

Basically if it is an A class with slid out then the chances are it will be above 7 1/2 tons. Only a guideline I hasten to add.

Regards

Chris

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

Thanks

thats going to make you at least 57 years, which is fine, but if you are nearer 70 you could run into problems renewing your C1 licence when you do reach 70.

stricter medical i believe :Sad:

without the C1 it will revert to B class and you can only drive 3500kg gross.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you may not be an articulated driver you could have c+e restricted to drawbar trailers .or ou could take a test that restricts to 12,oookg .be carefull many think they have what they havnt.
why change from a 5er. better to change to a under 3.5ookg unit then you can pull much more than 7,500kg and atrailer of 750kg .
c1+e is restricted to 8.250 train .b+e under 3,5 is only restricted by the towing unit ,this maybe alot more than 8,250kg. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back