Solar charging for vehicle battery. (1 Viewer)

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I decided to look into methods of 'tricle' charging the vehicle battery in my Hobby. The battery is very sound, and well maintained, but the alarm, whilst only using milliamps, and the forthcoming frost will take their toll, and I don't like disconnecting the battery to give it a conditioning charge, because it means re-setting the alarm.

I rang several sources, ie Fiat, Lowndhams, and Viper alrams, and all said that a solar charger with an output of around 2 amps connected permanently to the battery would keep the batter in tip top condition through the winter. I don't expect an output of 2 amps, less than half is realistic, but given that they are apparently designed to work, even when cloudy, 1amp for 4 or 5 hours a day will keep the battery nicely topped up.

They can be bought for around £20, so it seems like a no brainer. Does anybody have any real experience of these devices??

Thanks.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I experimented with one of Link Removed from Maplins 3 years ago. Apart from the fact that I and other members of another forum derived some amusement from my description of my antics I obtained no other benefit :Smile:

The main problem was not being able to track the winter sun sufficiently to obtain anywhere near enough charge.

Instead, I bought one of the three stage chargers which Aldi & Lidl sell, amongst others, and use that when necessary. Of course, that is only an option if you are able to take a mains power supply to the van where it is parked.

Graham

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
You will not get a 25watt / 2amp solar panel for £20. I have a 18watt panel,which is about 1amp at very best that I use for the cab battery and it cost £35. It keeps the battery topped up but on very dull days there is virtually no output.

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
my 50W panel at this time of the year is producing 3 to 500milli amps per hour.
By ohms law and taking the figures as quoted, allowing for no losses or higher charge rate so that it is easy to compare panels.
Amps = Watts divided by volts and panels are quoted at 12v (not what they produce but never mind) so 50 / 12 = 4.1666666666 amps and I am getting approx half an amp get the picture? ( a max of 1.75amp in the summer at midday, 50W cost me £120 two years ago, cheaper now)
That keeps my leisure batteries up to scratch when not in use, only draw is from the solar controller and radio standby current. I have a 5Watt panel connected to the engine batteries direct no alarm, just imobiliser led and radio standby current. 5W keeps the engine batteries in good condition. so there give you something to go on.

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
They can be bought for around £20 said:
Maplin do one reduced from £19.99 down to £9.99 , 12v 1.5w , 0.5 amp . It does work but mine fell off the windscreen and smashed:thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
12v 1.5w , 0.5 amp
Never was very good at maths but the above cannot be correct. Watts divided by volts gives amps. Or so I thought.

Andy

S

stagman

Deleted User
12v 1.5w , 0.5 amp
Never was very good at maths but the above cannot be correct. Watts divided by volts gives amps. Or so I thought.

Andy

Yes I thought that two , but two late already submitted it . But thats what it says on the label . 1.5w at 17.5v

OP
OP
savantuk

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Instead, I bought one of the three stage chargers which Aldi & Lidl sell, amongst others, and use that when necessary. Of course, that is only an option if you are able to take a mains power supply to the van where it is parked.

Graham

I assume that this sort of charger has a trickle mode?? Could this be used WITHOUT disconnecting the battery??

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
You have obviously got access to electicity so why not leave the van hooked up and use one of those cigarette lighter socket to socket trickle charger thingies to take current from the leisure side to the engine side, I got one from Aldi or Lidl called 'Charge'n'Start.

I'm surprised your van doesn't charge the engine battery on hook up, mine,also German, does. It has a Schaudt charger which puts a lesser charge to the engine battery, have you checked yours?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
are you sure its a 3 STAGE charger Graham.....the only ones i've seen in aldi are 3 FUNCTION

12v high charge

12v low charge

6v charge

I might well have the terminology wrong John, thanks for pointing it out.

Looking at the manual for my charger (Tronic T4X as sold by Lidl) it says "A special design of the appliances (also named three-phase charging strategy) enables....................".

Graham

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I might well have the terminology wrong John, thanks for pointing it out.

Looking at the manual for my charger (Tronic T4X as sold by Lidl) it says "A special design of the appliances (also named three-phase charging strategy) enables....................".

Graham

could well be a 3 stage then graham...i havent seen that one at aldi.

the other one is aimed at relatively low ah batteries and motorbikes

only about 4amp charge rate.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
could well be a 3 stage then graham...i havent seen that one at aldi.

the other one is aimed at relatively low ah batteries and motorbikes

only about 4amp charge rate.

From what I've read the Link Removed from Lidl and the Link Removed badged product from Aldi are very similar (including specification) to the CTEK Multi XS 3600. The main differences seem to be that the CTEK is a heck of a lot more expensive and the Aldi & Lidl versions have a 3 year warranty instead of 2 years.

Works for me anyhow :Smile:

Graham

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I've got the same Lidl charger. Like Graham, I only went in for a few (lots of) cans of boddies, but this little thing winked at me ! And it's defo a 3 stage charger.

regards
Allen

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back