Is a toad insured when towing ? (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i checked this with the NFU last month when i took M/H cover with them.
their policy states £1000 comp cover for trailers when hitched.

the nice lady contacted the underwriters to check and, yes, a toad is covered as a trailer....insured for £1000 comprehensive same as a trailer BUT, now this is the letdown, its only covered if no other insurance covers it so basicly its NOT covered by them anyway unless the cars insurance doesnt cover while being towed.

there is a discrepency in their policy as to what is covered and what isnt.
one section says a disabled car is covered for towing while another section says cars are not covered at all BUT the underwriters say they are.

different matter if both the van and toad are insured in their own right with NFU of coarse.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

the nice lady contacted the underwriters to check and, yes, a toad is covered as a trailer....insured for £1000 comprehensive same as a trailer BUT, now this is the letdown, its only covered if no other insurance covers it so basicly its NOT covered by them anyway unless the cars insurance doesnt cover while being towed.

one section says a disabled car is covered for towing while another section says cars are not covered at all BUT the underwriters say they are.

different matter if both the van and toad are insured in their own right with NFU of coarse.
And thats the way I went ,they can argue all they like then with themselves:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Interesting post,

I am just going through the process of renewing my motorhome policy, as at present the car is covered by NFU and they are aware that its fitted with an "A" frame, but the motorhome policy is with Safeguard who again are aware that I tow the car but only confirmed that my policy covers automatically the towing of a trailer/car etc.

I therefore thought that it would be more prudent to move all of the insurances to NFU and I have asked them to quote, but it does seem very confusing just what is covered and what is not and to what level each item is covered and in what circumstance.

I know its probably me but can anyone explain the best way to insure the motorhome and toad, which will give the best level of insurance cover for an Idiot like me

Thanks

Braunston

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, Interesting post,

at present the car is covered by NFU and they are aware that its fitted with an "A" frame, but the motorhome policy is with Safeguard who again are aware that I tow the car but only confirmed that my policy covers automatically the towing of a trailer/car etc.

best way is as Geo said....insure both with the same company then no inter-company bickering in the event of a claim.:Doh:

safegaurd are probably just stating the car is insured as a trailer but only for 3rd party damage.
the car itself isnt insured for damage.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But, does the NFU do recovery for motorhomes? Last time I asked they did`nt

Ian

at first sight it would appear not if you are over 3500kg and 5.5mtrs in length.

as i have RAC Arrival (completely unlimited cover) i never bothered with b/d cover.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, when we had the Toad, we had both insured with Saga and both vehicles were fully comprehensive, including being towed. ::bigsmile: Now we have the Smart, insured with Smart and thats covered fully comprehensive on and off the trailer.:Smile:

The vans still with Saga, and they have insured the Smart Trailer, which includes the trailer being detatched as well.::bigsmile:

And the best bit is............value £1250. :RollEyes: £13 a year.............:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Bob.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i believe most insurers wont pay out on a claim if there is any other insurance interest...ie, you cant insure the same vehicle twice.

ooops...just re-read your post. :Doh::Blush:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Hi Braunston,

I'm with Geo and Pappajohn on this one.

Place both vehicles with the same provider, then they have no "get out clauses":ROFLMAO:

We have both M/H and toad on the same policy, with NFU, so if I ever have to claim, on both, the question will be "how do we do his not claims discount, once or twice, but as I have only one policy, it should be only once.:roflmto:

I hope this helps.

Nomadic

Hi, Interesting post,

I am just going through the process of renewing my motorhome policy, as at present the car is covered by NFU and they are aware that its fitted with an "A" frame, but the motorhome policy is with Safeguard who again are aware that I tow the car but only confirmed that my policy covers automatically the towing of a trailer/car etc.

I therefore thought that it would be more prudent to move all of the insurances to NFU and I have asked them to quote, but it does seem very confusing just what is covered and what is not and to what level each item is covered and in what circumstance.

I know its probably me but can anyone explain the best way to insure the motorhome and toad, which will give the best level of insurance cover for an Idiot like me

Thanks

Braunston

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes, one policy two certificates, quoting the same policy number. Been with NFU a few years now, but only hit on this at last years renewal. They were keen to do it, saves on paper and admin costs.:Smile: for them!

Nomadic

didnt know you could insure BOTH vehicles under ONE policy....

Last edited:
OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, one policy two certificates, quoting the same policy number. Been with NFU a few years now, but only hit on this at last years renewal. They were keen to do it, saves on paper and admin costs.:Smile: for them!

Nomadic

thanks for that.
going to them when the toad is due so i'll mention it then. :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa ,dont see why you cant i sometimes insure all my bikes on one policy and have a certificate for each as mentioned had five on it once but thats with Equity red star.only four this year. only the main biggest bike as the drive other peoples bikes . but it works out a good deal cheaper. cheers alan

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Been with the NFU for many years if you have a specific worry speak with your local agent and ask for the reply in writing - they will either be able to write that themselves or will refer it to the underwriters and get a definitive answer and then confirm in writing - I know basic trailer cover is £1000 but for minimal amount you can increase this to a level that suits we have a heavy cargo trailer which is insured for £3500 - one question I would ask re multiple vehicles on one policy or vehicle and toad or vehicle and 5'er on one policy is if one vehicle has an accident do you loose the No Claims on all of it - could work out an expensive saving of paper :Eeek:

Would add to this that over the years we have always taken every opportunity to save money with them such as agree to 5 years continued loyalty and then get extra discounts etc but have always found the service to be above reproach - help always avialable and claims paid speedily and at realistic levels - they may not be the cheapest but certainly rank amongst the best.:thumb:

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
one question I would ask re multiple vehicles on one policy or vehicle and toad or vehicle and 5'er on one policy is if one vehicle has an accident do you loose the No Claims on all of it - could work out an expensive saving of paper

Hi Landy lover

I agree with all your coments re NFU.:thumb:

On the above, with one policy, two certificates, one for each unit, if only one is damaged and a claim is made, then that aspect of the policy is at risk. The policy has two schedule prices (premiums) on it, one for toad one for M/H.

If both are damaged then yes, both are at risk, as they would be if insured by two companies. :Sad:

Nomadic

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
does it matter all insurance is checked in their computer.if you make a claim every insurer knows so all could be lost . the question is usually have you claimed in the past x years . doesnt always mean with this policy. plus if you have them all on one policy they all get the benifit of the masin one. so you dont build up no claims you get it from the start . on my bikes all the others have no claim discount removed on the policy. cost me 10pound last year to add another bike thats all. 4 bikes 178 quid ,the biggest 1500cc a 250 and a110 and 90cc cant be bad.

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Makes an interesting thought if I was the third party filling in an accident claim form following an accident with a M/H and toad, and it was the toad which damaged my vehicle on whose insurance would I be claiming, the M/H with a Driver or a Driver less toad ?. :cry:. Further thought if the toad broke loose from the towing vehicle whose insurance would cover it then ?. :whatthe:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Interesting question,

I think the first part you would make a claim against the motorhomes insurance as they would see the toad as a trailer and therefore cover third party (YOU) risks

The second my guess would be on the toads own insurance as if it were a car being left without the handbrake fully on that rolled down the hill and into you car

But these are only guesses

Makes an interesting thought if I was the third party filling in an accident claim form following an accident with a M/H and toad, and it was the toad which damaged my vehicle on whose insurance would I be claiming, the M/H with a Driver or a Driver less toad ?. :cry:. Further thought if the toad broke loose from the towing vehicle whose insurance would cover it then ?. :whatthe:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
must say that although i have been using an aframe for years and do support aframe use i,m sure most of you would be better off with a 5er.you know the reasons i gave them on another post. i made the decision 10 yrs ago. makes much better use of it all .aframe or trailer particulaly if used behind an rv or big camper i know you cant reverse anything with ease behind them. think about it . i think i,m right . there is alot of 5ers out there so choice is getting better ,sorry to go off topic abit but it seemed a good time to mention it. cheers alan

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
one question I would ask re multiple vehicles on one policy or vehicle and toad or vehicle and 5'er on one policy is if one vehicle has an accident do you loose the No Claims on all of it -

you would lose a percentage anyway if you are totally honest with the insurance co's involved at renewal, unless your NCB is protected.

"have you had any accidents/convictions in the last X years"

you must declare any accidents/convictions regardless of who/what is insured with who.

i suppose years ago they couldnt tell and had to go by your reply to questions, but now they can check on the insurance claims/fraud data base in seconds.

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
RV

The RV insurance is due soon so I spoke to NFU today and asked for a quotation plus a quotation for the Toad.

It was explained to me that when the car is hitched to the RV it is considered to be a trailer and covered for third party only, no theft or fire cover! The fact that it has independant insurance (be it with the same company or not) doesn't matter; if it caught fire or was stolen whilst attached to the RV it would not be covered.

Let's hope neither ever happens!

Toni

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back