Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Hi, A very strange thing has occured with the fresh water tank capacity in our 2007 Chausson Allegro83.

Arrived on a site last week & filled the tank up, but after only a short while, the water started to gush out of the filler neck. On checking the control panel reading it only indicated 58 litrs?? when full it normaly shows 128 ltrs. So I reduced the flow thinking it was "backing up" but it still poured back out of the filler. The pump was on & the taps were being bled during the fill, as per normal. So I left it to see how long the water was going to last. It soon became obvious that there was only the 50 odd ltrs as we soon ran out quicker than we would normaly have expected.

Arriving back home, I re-filled the tank on it's dead-level hard standing, thinking the site we had been on, wasn't as level as we had thought, even though the spirit level indicated that we were level (You tend to grasp at any possible solution) but the reading was 72 ltrs??? with the water again over spilling from the filler.

I am baffled, it just doesn't make sense. Unless someone out there knows what's going on. The only thing that I have done that is different from the norm, is to have lowered the automatic drain safety switch to completely drain the system as we hadn't planned on using the MH for a few weeks. But as I've said earlier, both taps were open during the re-fill with the pump on to purge the system, & obviously the automatic drain valve back in the closed position..

Cheers

BeeJay

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi, A very strange thing has occured with the fresh water tank capacity in our 2007 Chausson Allegro83.

Arrived on a site last week & filled the tank up, but after only a short while, the water started to gush out of the filler neck. On checking the control panel reading it only indicated 58 litrs?? when full it normaly shows 128 ltrs. So I reduced the flow thinking it was "backing up" but it still poured back out of the filler. The pump was on & the taps were being bled during the fill, as per normal. So I left it to see how long the water was going to last. It soon became obvious that there was only the 50 odd ltrs as we soon ran out quicker than we would normaly have expected.

Arriving back home, I re-filled the tank on it's dead-level hard standing, thinking the site we had been on, wasn't as level as we had thought, even though the spirit level indicated that we were level (You tend to grasp at any possible solution) but the reading was 72 ltrs??? with the water again over spilling from the filler.

I am baffled, it just doesn't make sense. Unless someone out there knows what's going on. The only thing that I have done that is different from the norm, is to have lowered the automatic drain safety switch to completely drain the system as we hadn't planned on using the MH for a few weeks. But as I've said earlier, both taps were open during the re-fill with the pump on to purge the system, & obviously the automatic drain valve back in the closed position..

Cheers

BeeJay

Mine has a large filling hole (about 2") but also has a breather tube about
1/2" .............and even with all that, if the flow is to fast, its gets a air/blockage /bubble so you have to stop then start again slowly .....but if the wife was filling and it gushed out of the filling hole, she would think the tank was full...as many people would ..... even though there might only be 20 to 50 liters in the tank....
I have never left the taps open while filling and the flow back only happens when the water flow is to strong
Mel

Also under our seat (tank inside) is the 110 ltr tank with a BIG red cap check inside yours and try leaving the cap off to clear the air lock BUT DON'T for get to replace before you carry on filling as the water will be all inside the van

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Cheers Mel, but we've had this MH for app a year now & never had any problem with filling before. Our water supply at home is pretty strong, & when duing the usual rinse through after being stored for a while, the tap is on full blast, & usualy takes a good 10mins to fill to the max with never a "blow-back"

Even after allowing the water to reach the top of the filler neck, where I can see it, any air in the tank should find its way out, it's inconceivable that air could be in the tank when the water level is fully up to the top of the filler tube.

I've even tried filling very slowly, but the problem is the same.

BeeJay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cheers Mel, but we've had this MH for app a year now & never had any problem with filling before. Our water supply at home is pretty strong, & when duing the usual rinse through after being stored for a while, the tap is on full blast, & usualy takes a good 10mins to fill to the max with never a "blow-back"

Even after allowing the water to reach the top of the filler neck, where I can see it, any air in the tank should find its way out, it's inconceivable that air could be in the tank when the water level is fully up to the top of the filler tube.

I've even tried filling very slowly, but the problem is the same.

BeeJay

I agree with what you are saying........the motorhome of ours was new in July 2008 and for the first 12 months we also had no problems and this has only happened in the last 4 months.........and it seems after it has overflowed, and have I stop filling for 3 to 4 seconds...then start again slowly and increase back to full flow.... that seems to clear the problem and it fills to a full tank as normal..........so in mind mine is a air lock
Yours !!!!!!!!!!!!?????????
Mel

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
Having now removed all the gubbins to get to the onboard tank, it's obvious that the tank is full. So the fault is with the sender unit or the console receiver.:cry:
My estimation of the tank not being full in relation to the time it took to fill it, was obviously off target. I'm hoping that by removing the sender unit, I can maybe see what the problem is, but being electonic it'll more than likely mean costing an arm & a leg for a new one.

Cheers

BeeJay

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
is the pickup for the water going through the top of tank? as it been pulled out abit? forget the gauge for a while .is the tank full?i have known this to be the problem of appearing to run out of water very quickly. the gauge could be linked to this or be a different problem.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm hoping that by removing the sender unit, I can maybe see what the problem is, but being electonic it'll more than likely mean costing an arm & a leg for a new one.

Cheers

BeeJay

to be honest i wouldnt bother renewing it...i have yet to see one thats accurate and with 128ltrs of water you should last quite a while so top up as and when you can.

you wouldnt usually want to up sticks and move to a tap on site anyway so a water carrier/watering can would be an asset.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
do you actually run out of water or is the tank sender what made you think it was empty. to me empty is no water coming out the taps.

OP
OP
Kanberlingo

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
to be honest i wouldnt bother renewing it...i have yet to see one thats accurate and with 128ltrs of water you should last quite a while so top up as and when you can.

you wouldnt usually want to up sticks and move to a tap on site anyway so a water carrier/watering can would be an asset.

I like to attempt to fix things, (see my Avatar) but I reckon you're right, it aint worth the hastle or expense. besides, even with the console showing an incorrect reading, we still get the audible signal when there's app 10ltrs left, which is working as I checked it when I was draining off. But now having got to the root of the problem, I'm not too concerned, but it had me scratching my pate at first.

Cheers all.

BeeJay

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I like to attempt to fix things, (see my Avatar) but I reckon you're right, it aint worth the hastle or expense. besides, even with the console showing an incorrect reading, we still get the audible signal when there's app 10ltrs left, which is working as I checked it when I was draining off. But now having got to the root of the problem, I'm not too concerned, but it had me scratching my pate at first.

Cheers all.

BeeJay

i know what you mean......if it aint broken it doesnt need fixing so break it anyway...:ROFLMAO:

mines the old super accurate (not) 4 or 5 prong resistance sensor and empty shows 1/4...full shows 3/4....anything in between is a bonus.

when the tap runs dry it time to fill. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm hoping that by removing the sender unit,
BeeJay

What kind of sender is it. The only type I've seen is the multiple probe one.

They don't seem to like fitting quality units, like ultrasonic, too expensive I guess and the accuracy is not really needed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back