best way to fix a solar panel (1 Viewer)

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
Hi whats the best way to fix a solar panel to the roof without making holes in the roof theres already to many, Taken me ages to fix all the holes put in by previous owners you would not believe how they fitted a top box any help would be appreciated. Panel is 17 "x 37"

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Use Aluminium " L " brackets screwed to the sides of the panel and glue to the roof using Sikaflex 512 .

Mark

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
bond two peices of aluminium angle to the roof with sikaflex . screw or rivet solar panel between them.use sikaflex to keep cable stuck to roof as well maybe make the angle big enough in length so you can add another one as time goes by.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
bond two peices of aluminium angle to the roof with sikaflex . screw or rivet solar panel between them.use sikaflex to keep cable stuck to roof as well maybe make the angle big enough in length so you can add another one as time goes by.

:Cool: Same here. :thumb:

OP
OP
K

kamperman

Free Member
Apr 24, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
2 years
fix solar panel

Thanks C.L.S and VWALAN I was thinking along similar lines but wasnt sure which adhiesive to use would you sit panel on roof or leave a small gap between.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi whats the best way to fix a solar panel to the roof without making holes in the roof theres already to many, Taken me ages to fix all the holes put in by previous owners you would not believe how they fitted a top box any help would be appreciated. Panel is 17 "x 37"

Hi Kamperman
Mine was fitted by the motorhome Dealer/agent when we purchase from new.....French agent.....what they have done is, sat the panel on lots of what looks like Silicone (thick layer 1/2" on corners and middle) like dot and dab when you fit plaster board on dry lining.................I would not say it looks the neatest but it works and no holes through the roof of the motorhome...that must be a good thing.
Mel

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks C.L.S and VWALAN I was thinking along similar lines but wasnt sure which adhiesive to use would you sit panel on roof or leave a small gap between.

you should leave a gap underneath as they do get quite hot i believe.

mine has a 4" gap.

if possible fit a small plastic fairing infront to deflect wind while travelling or you could loose it if only 'glued' down.
you can get them from the likes of o'leary's.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
personaly i always lift them off the roof to allow air under neath they can get warm . i use 3in angle .its not cheap . of course it helps if they are already in an aluminium frame some are a little harder as they dont have their own square frame .i hope yours as. if not do it first . older panels had bolt slides on the side of the panels .
some do mount them on sun seeker tilt and swivel frames but they can be a bit expensive.mine are always trying to seek out the sun .dont know what happened today. anybody got any rain power panels. tried the lunar panels but they kept me awake at night with the light. :ROFLMAO:
psif you put the angle across the roof you wont get them blow off and branches cant get underneath. i do go some silly places.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
you should leave a gap underneath as they do get quite hot i believe.

mine has a 4" gap.

Correct John ..
They do get hot and as a result become less efficient so leaving a decent air gap is important !

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I recommend that you first mount a luggage rack, check with the converter where the roof batten's are. Then mount the panels to that.

This way you have the freedom to rearrange things if you want/need too. I also recommend that you make some or all of the panels hinged so that it/they can be tilted up to the sun.

Plan for the unknown future!

Doug..

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A good idea is to have the cable entry hole sited under the panel for protection and to prevent rain hammer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back