Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Saturday night and the BBC is dire .. :Angry:

What are we paying a license fee for ?

Is it time to disband the BBC ?

Quote:

The way the BBC top brass presides over the dumbing down of programme content in its TV channels and radio stations is not just appalling - it borders on the criminal, considering that it is a waste of public money that we are talking about. Huge waste.

The fact that the Corporation’s top people have been paying themselves astronomical salaries and allowing left-wing mediocrities, of all shapes and sizes, infest the Corporation’s output is a disgrace. At the moment there are practically no decent shows on BBC. None at all. Talentless, politically correct producers and scriptweriets, with a few exeptions, dominate both BBC television and radio.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sometimes it seems that the BBC delivers more free content to the World (who don't pay) than it does to people in West Wales (who do pay). For the last 6 years in Wales I have had to pay a TV licence but depend on, and pay Sky, to get any BBC channels.

"This is the the BBC World Service, you can hear us in China but not in W Wales" :RollEyes:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
why on earth would anyone pay sky to get the BBC ; all radio and TV programmes are free oof charge , paid for by the licence fee

I must say it is rate for me or mine to watch or listen to anything broadcast by anyone other than the BBC , the only source of any programming that demands an IQ of more than about 60

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suppose the programs they produce must be popular with many though not me:Sad: However I tried to watch something on some commercial channel (Sky I think) and I thought the adverts went on longer than the program content. It would be worth paying to do without the adverts if the programs were better.
Normally I only watch TV if I want to sleep.

Bigrog98

Free Member
Oct 24, 2007
Midlands
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
7yrs
TV.

The good thing about being old, you can watch all the repeats of Detective Movies on TV and you don't remember the outcome.

Bigrog

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
All other TV companies are businesses that have to earn their money via advertising and the success or failure of their efforts dictates what salaries they can pay. So logically they have to provide what people want to draw the advertisers to part with the money .

BBC have no such worries - they have a fixed income dictated by parliment and enforced by law on that basis they can produce what ever rubbish they feel like and generally do - I can honestly say that there is NO regular program on BBC that I watch yet the other day it was announced in the press that 100 BBC staff are paid 20 million pounds - my own feelings are they should have to perform like all other businesses and make a profit - if they operate in a fair market place I could not care less if they pay fantastic salaries - but produce rubbish and get paid silly money for doing it No

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you do not pay the BBC licence fee to watch BBC programmes......you pay the fee to own a working tv receiver....whether you watch BBC or not !!!

ANY tv receiving equipment, tv, video recorder, digi box, internet enabled computer or even an internet mobile etc that is capable of receiving any tv signal as it is broadcast requires a licence.

even if the BBC stopped transmitting tv signals you would still need a licence.

tv licencing.

and its a ripoff :Angry:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
you do not pay the BBC licence fee to watch BBC programmes......you pay the fee to own a working tv receiver....whether you watch BBC or not !!!

yes ,. but all the fees go to the BBC ..

scrap the fee and privatise the BBC .. it's always easy to spend, ( read waste ) other peoples money .

Last edited:

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs

ANY tv receiving equipment, tv, video recorder, digi box, internet enabled computer or even an internet mobile etc that is capable of receiving any tv signal as it is broadcast requires a licence.

even if the BBC stopped transmitting tv signals you would still need a licence.

tv licencing.

You dont need one if you watch the progs via the net ,hence why they want to try a subscription to it ,there was a big fuss oover this a while ago,even dear old Brown wont plug that hole,what you watch via iplayer is free from copyright,hence why its downloadable:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You dont need one if you watch the progs via the net ,hence why they want to try a subscription to it ,there was a big fuss oover this a while ago,even dear old Brown wont plug that hole,what you watch via iplayer is free from copyright,hence why its downloadable:thumb:

Only if it's not LIVE TV .. otherwise::

Watching TV on the internet:

You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.

Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+

You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.

Mobile phones
A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Saturday night and the BBC is dire .. :Angry:

What are we paying a license fee for ?

Is it time to disband the BBC ?

Quote:

Not only the BBC Jim. The whole flippin' lot was dire. The only programme I watched last night was HIGNFY - I usually watch the Saturday extended repeat, rather than the Friday broadcast, to get the out-takes.

Graham

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Time to scrap the BBC, yes it is. All of the commercial stations manage without a licence fee, why not the BBC it would make them accountable to the viewing public. Since going digital we have a part time service from the BBC it is not reliable ( and I can see the relay mast from my window!) I don't care if they are broadcasting as normal, if I can no longer receive the same programs and channels why should I pay. Time for a change!!!!!!!!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
why on earth would anyone pay sky to get the BBC ; all radio and TV programmes are free of charge , paid for by the licence fee

Well whilst everyone was enjoying free "once you paid a licence fee" service. plenty of people in the UK still could not receive transmissions via a normal tv ariel.

The BBC spent millions of our money so that Africans, Russians Chinese etc had access to BBC content, but failed to ensure that all of the people actually paying, could receive the basic channels. So we had to pay for a satellite install and then buy a sky card just so we could watch the basic 4 channels.

I refused to buy a TV licence in 2003, so that the saving deferred the cost of the satelite installation. I wrote and told them I wasn't paying and why. I still got loads of auto generated threatening letters which I ignored, but no one bothered to respond to my letter.:RollEyes:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
jim , you don't need to buy a sky card to watch any bbc channel in the uk ; I have a standard sky digibox without one

and re the copyright on TV programmes on Iplayer ...it is copyright but in the uk you have paid to watch it so can , elsewhere it is blocked

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A short while ago satellite was our only option to see any TV at all and Sky was the only way to go. They charged us install and a one off fee for the card. Nowadays with freesat it would be better. But with the recent digital switchover a normal ariel now works and we can bin sky

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
We cannot receive terrestrial TV and we are only 4 miles outside the county town of Dorset. :Doh: :Doh: All campers on CL site can only get TV with a satellite dish.

It was far cheaper to install Sky than try to get "normal" TV with expensive high arials that may not work anyway. Not too bothered as I would have had Sky anyway for the sport.

On a different theme, I cannot stand watching anything on commercial channels anymore due to the prolonged advert breaks every 10 minutes. It seems like they put all ads during instead of between programs now. Probably because they know we all used to get up and make tea etc. when they came on at the end of program. I accept that they get their income from adverts but we have become like USA with long breaks every few minutes.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Not only the BBC Jim. The whole flippin' lot was dire.
Actually BBC2 screened an excellent programme last night if factual documentaries are your thing. the first of a three part series about Berlin

It appealed to me in particular having twice visited being fascinated by it's wartime and post war history. It isn't very often I enjoy walking around a city, but Berlin is exceptional.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Berlin

Aug 1, 2007
Billingham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
Didn't watch any TV on Saturday (more important things to drink) but checking the TV paper, it looked like BBC was better than ITV, also there are four BBC channels to choose from, or do what Saturday nights are for, go out.

I have always had this theory the the breweries give money to the TV companies to get people out on Saturday night.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Actually BBC2 screened an excellent programme last night if factual documentaries are your thing. the first of a three part series about Berlin

It appealed to me in particular having twice visited being fascinated by it's wartime and post war history. It isn't very often I enjoy walking around a city, but Berlin is exceptional.

BBC - BBC Two Programmes - Berlin

Just shows how personal preferences differ doesn't it :Smile:

I must admit I didn't spot that as a programme of interest to me when I looked in RT.

There have been some excellent historical documentaries on BBC channels recently though, themed around the first half of the 20th century, including Andrew Marr's latest excellent series.

Graham

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Just shows how personal preferences differ doesn't it :Smile:

I must admit I didn't spot that as a programme of interest to me when I looked in RT.
At least for once they have got this on iPlayer so you can view it right now if you like. I found it excellent as I know very little about Prussian history, but Matt Frei unravels some fascinating historical facts which undoubtedly influenced Nazism.

It's well worth watching.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
For goodnes sake, what would we do for Eastenders without the BeeB :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jIM
:winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Has anyone noticed the amount of time the BBC spends advertising it's programs ? If they turned this into paying averts we would not need the licence fee :thumb:They could stop wasting money on those stupid Hippos Balloons and Karate things for a start :ROFLMAO: Perhaps they make the programs shorter to let buyers ie broardcasters fill the bits in-between to paying ads
terry

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its not just the telly its the radio as well.
I listen to a lot of stuff thats only broadcast on LW. The reception is appaling yet I can hear the garbage spewed out on Radio 1 & 2 on FM with perfect clarity.

Digital switchover my b>m.

Jim
:Sad:

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Only if it's not LIVE TV .. otherwise::

Watching TV on the internet:

How 'live' does it need be, i.e. how long a pause, because I've noticed when listening to 'live' football on the internet it's about 1 second behind the radio. Would this therefore be legally cosidered live?
Presumably T.V. would have a similar delay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back