Free offline maps (1 Viewer)

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
https://play.google.com/store/apps/...loper#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwibmV0Lm9zbWFuZCJd

This is an offline Android mapping application.
Copied from the app description
'OsmAnd (OSM Automated Navigation Directions) is a map and navigation application with access to the free, worldwide, and high-quality OpenStreetMap (OSM) data. All map data can be stored on your device's memory card for offline use. Via your device's GPS, OsmAnd offers routing, with optical and voice guidance, for car, bike, and pedestrian. All the main functionalities work both online and offline (no internet needed).

If you use Google navigation you will know that it needs internet access, not such a problem in the UK, but will be fairly costly on data charges when abroad. The free app allows 10 downloads, and then there is a one off cost ofÂŁ5 for unlimited downloads.
I haven't used the voice navigation yet, but the reviews are pretty positive.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
On Android you can download Google maps of any area whilst on wifi at home and save them for later use. Not sure it works on iOS. Limited size for each download, but it covers a reasonable area and you can download more than one area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 9, 2011
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years
We use the OSM app on a Samsung tablet. It links to the Samsung gps. Clipped on to the Fiat notepad holder, it acts as a moving map, using whatever scale you choose. There are loads of other functions-which I have yet to exploit.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I use "maps.me" on an iPad but have not seen anything for MacOS.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not that I've used it in practice yet but I too have Maps.Me. If you want all of Europe make sure you download the maps at home on wifi, there's a lot of them.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I sometimes think "free" apps turn out more expensive than buying a decent app in the long run, when you add up the data it costs you over the time you use it.

At the moment you can buy Sygic with Europe maps for ÂŁ16.49 or with lifetime traffic for ÂŁ19.99. And for the whole world maps it is only ÂŁ24.99 or ÂŁ29.99 with lifetime traffic. These have on board maps and free lifetime updates of both maps and software. It is linked to your Google account so you can keep moving it from phone to phone (mine is on my 4th Android phone now)

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
A complete pile of doggy doo doo puts it very mildly. Only partly loaded, took hours then to end up not working at all. It is only a brand new LG G5 smartfone which works perfectly otherwise so who am I to call it crap? Will look elsewhere for a proper one.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A complete pile of doggy doo doo puts it very mildly. Only partly loaded, took hours then to end up not working at all. It is only a brand new LG G5 smartfone which works perfectly otherwise so who am I to call it crap? Will look elsewhere for a proper one.

What maps are you referring to?

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
OsmAnd offline android,

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Easier to use sat nav and by a couple of large scale atlas's at least you have it on paper then if electronics go tits up.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Just come back from Cyprus, used navmii, very good. Download the country you want to load at home, and open up later. Uses gps not internet.
Seems to cover the majority of the world.
Voice guided and very good. Option available for different vehicle classes.
And it's free.

Android and iOS

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been using OsmAnd for years but not for navigation, tried once appeared to ignore all major roads and sent me down 6ft wide lanes.
As a resource when visiting towns and other countries it is brilliant. Offline use is the biggest bonus and footpaths & cycle routes very good far more detail than Google maps. Latest version only allows 7 downloads and most countries were a single download, not anymore need about 10 downloads to cover France. Found it very useful walking about New York, mapping was very good in India as GPS satellites don't work very well there.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Tried OSMAnd, it works and we like the maps but the interface was not great, POI loading tedious as well. Switched to use Maps.ME, free maps worldwide uses OpenStreetMaps like OSMAnd and so much easier to use and POI integratio also much much easier.

sewinlynne2

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Saron Dyfed
Funster No
MH
Elddis Riva GT Gold 175
Exp
since November 2016!!!
Hi. Just downloaded Navmii. Brilliant, loaded and working in seconds. cant fault it. Thanks @GT and Dottie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back