Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
WE ARE MOVING TO A BIGGER FASTER SERVER WITH MORE BANDWIDTH

This weekend we are moving servers (The switch will take place late tonight) This site has grown so quickly and our bandwidth and resources are fast running out. We have outgrown in just 10 months the server we thought would be good enough for a couple of years! The new server should (we hope) satisfy our requirement for at least the next 18 months.

Moving the data files doesn't take long ( an hour or so) but when we change the nameservers it can take a while for the forums new location to propagate around the world and allow everyone to find us. Hopefully tomorrow morning (Saturday 14th Nov 2009) you should automatically find us at the new server, but If you find yourself at the old server (there will be a note on it) try a hard refresh of your browser (ctrl + F5) and this should help you find us.

Thanks - and see you on the new server :thumb::thumb:

If you are not a total computer novice you can use this info below to find us faster..

When we make the switch, If you cannot wait for your Fun fix, there is a way to find us very quickly by flushing your DNS. Ifyou don't know how to do this it might be a good idea to make a note of how to do it now.

What is it and why Flush it?
When your computer visited MotorhomeFun for the first time, it stored the website's Domain name details in a cache. The next time you pointed your browser to us, it looked in that cache to see if Fun's website's information was present to use. Once we switch servers this stored information will be wrong and you must update it with our new location. Flushing the cache removes all the information stored in cache, forcing the computer to find the new DNS information for us. So if you can't find us tomorrow just follow the simple steps below for your operating system. if you do not it could take a couple of days for you to find us!

The command to flush the DNS is ipconfig /flushdns NOTE There is a space between the g and the /

Flushing the DNS on Windows XP
This an easy process,
1. Open up a command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd > then press OK or return.
2. Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

You should get a message saying that you have "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache"
Windows Vista / Windows 7 Flush DNS

Flushing DNS on newer versions of Windows is almost as easy as the earlier versions but due to Microsofts security additions you must run the command prompt with administrator privileges.
1. Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
2. Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
3. Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Mac OS X Flush DNS

Flushing the DNS in Mac OS X is an easy process, but the steps taken will depend on which version of OS X you are running.
If you are running Mac OS X Leopard, you need to do the following.

1. Open up a command terminal.
2. Run the command dnscacheutil -flushcache

If you are running Mac OS X 10.5.1 or below, you need to do the following.

1. Open a command terminal.
2. Run the command lookupd -flushcache
Linux Flush DNS

If you are running the nscd Name Service Cache Daemon then you will need to do the following.
1. Open up a command terminal (either as root or run step 2 with sudo)
2. Run the command "/etc/init.d/nscd restart"

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As always a mine of useful info. I didn't know that. (flushing DNS):Smile:

We moved the RVOC website to the new server last weekend, Link Removed :Blush:

It took some of the owners Club members until Wednesday to find us. Their computers were pointing them to the IP address they had in the cache. Flushing the DNS will help you find us very quickly. :Smile: : Fingers Crossed: :whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I look forward to the improvement in speed,:thumb: maybe the new chat will run then? :RollEyes:How will flushing the DNS affect other tabs and favourites info, passwords etc I assume it is only the web address that is refreshed or will we have to set up our tabs again

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I look forward to the improvement in speed,:thumb: maybe the new chat will run then? :RollEyes:How will flushing the DNS affect other tabs and favourites info, passwords etc I assume it is only the web address that is refreshed or will we have to set up our tabs again

Flushing the DNS has nothing to do with your browser, or the site details held in your browser. Your favourites and passwords cookies etc will not be affected.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my ignorance, why can't you just Google MooirhomeFun and get the new IP addy that way?

Peter

To be honest its all a mystery to me as well but as I understand it.. Because googe will give you Link Removed etc but as soon as you click on the link your computer will shout " I know where that is" and point you back to the old site. Well it won't shout, but i'm sure you get the idea:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
To be honest its all a mystery to me as well but as I understand it.. Because googe will give you Link Removed etc but as soon as you click on the link your computer will shout " I know where that is" and point you back to the old site. Well it won't shout, but i'm sure you get the idea:Smile:

Mmmmmmmm, that was going to be my approach. I can see a long Saturday coming here.

Jim
:RollEyes:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
What would be your recommended time for doing the DNS fllush Jim? Is it something we could do before the swtich over?

JJ

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
what time will this server go off line? just for those of us that might be in chat or on late etc

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What would be your recommended time for doing the DNS fllush Jim? Is it something we could do before the swtich over?
JJ

You can flush your DNS at any time it does no harm. But do it tomorrow if you find yourself at the old server

what time will this server go off line? just for those of us that might be in chat or on late etc

Not sure, I will put a post up to let you know.

Hi mud as clear as it is skywalker !Brian and Marion

Do nothing, Automatically find us your browser will. ::bigsmile:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
It took some of the owners Club members until Wednesday to find us. Their computers were pointing them to the IP address they had in the cache. :Smile: : Fingers Crossed: :whatthe:

Guilty as charged Jim - Though was funny I emailed you and said I could not get on and 5 mins later I tried again and went straight on :Smile: now was that coincidence or were you fiddling again :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
:cry::cry::cry::cry: Oh Dear!!!! I don't get most of computer's stuff in french so how am i going to manage in english:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Wacko: Tabs? DNS? Flush? :shout:and don't try to explain me with other english computer words..... i don't understand them either! So is my old dictionnary.... completly hopless and useless!

Boohooooo! Hope i 'll find you!!!:pray::pray::tears:

Amicalement

Frankie:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:cry::cry::cry::cry: Oh Dear!!!! I don't get most of computer's stuff in french so how am i going to manage in english:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Wacko: Tabs? DNS? Flush? :shout:and don't try to explain me with other english computer words..... i don't understand them either! So is my old dictionnary.... completly hopless and useless!

Boohooooo! Hope i 'll find you!!!:pray::pray::tears:

Amicalement

Frankie:Sad:

dont worry frankie.....FUN will find you...eventually :thumb:::bigsmile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I don't see me farting about with all of that so if I don't find you I don't find you ?????????:cry::cry::cry:

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
what a bunch of luddites we are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

see you sometime - somewhere
don't know where don't know when

well, me grannie used to sing it - as well as something about blue birds packing up their troubles on the road to tipperary

ciao:Blush:

grumpy

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Llangollen, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Over 25 years
MotorhomeFun is Moving

Thanks for the pages of info I don't understand Jim. Nearly as bad as learning to ride a bike with the bobbies.
Why oh why did my grandchildren choose this weekend to do the Duke of Edinburgh awards. Not even on the end of the mobile.
Hope they are back soon, they might have to miss school on monday if I can't get my FUN fix. Hope to see you on the other side.

:cry::cry::cry:Gonna miss you.:cry::cry::cry:

Peter.

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
In my ignorance, why can't you just Google MooirhomeFun and get the new IP addy that way?

Peter

FLUSHDNS...Why?

When you try and get to 'www.motorhomefun.co.uk' your computer needs to change that name into something it can use, that is an ip address. Think of it as a phone book. Your computer needs to lookup the number for 'www.motorhomefun.co.uk'

Now what happens is that your computer remembers some of the names it looks up and remembers the numbers associated with those names - it speeds things up if it remembers them and does not have to look them up each time.

When we move servers tonight, 'www.motorhomefun.co.uk' will get a new number, a new ip address. But because your computer has the old number in it's memory, when you ask for 'www.motorhomefun.co.uk' (whether it is a bookmark/favourite or a google search or even if you type it) it will say 'no need to look that up, I know that number' but it will have the old number instead of the new one and it will fail.

Flushing your dns (as per Jims instruction) tells your computer to forget all the numbers it is remembering and start again. So the first time you ask for 'www.motorhomefun.co.uk' (or any other website) it will realise that it needs a new number and go and look it up.

If after flushing your dns you still have a problem it is probably because the place your computer is looking the number up at may still have the old number in IT'S dns. You see, we change the number in one dns on the internet and it tells all the other dns servers on the internet the new number, but that takes time.

Hope that's clear but if not and you want to know more, just ask :Smile:

Bryan

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'm flushing already just thinking about it, come to think of it, thinking about it pretty much is it nowadays!:cry: :Blush:

Oops, sorry.:Doh: senior moment!

Last edited:

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
I have just tried a practice run following the directions for windows vista and the black box told me it had successfully done what i had asked it to do.
Took ages to get to command prompt bit but happy now. Was simple
Anyone need any help just shout

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
It's tomorrow now:Doh: Did IT happen yesterday? Has IT happened yet? When is IT going to happen?:shout:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back