Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
12th of the month so must be time I made a serious post again.

MH body shell. Which is better and why. Ali sheeting or fibreglass ?

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
12th of the month so must be time I made a serious post again.

MH body shell. Which is better and why. Ali sheeting or fibreglass ?

Pro's and Cons to both.
There is no definitive answer.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Personally, I'd go for fibreglass.

It's stronger, easer to repair, easily moulded, less likely to leak, won't corrode, warmer than alloy,and will last a lot longer than alloy if well maintained and looked after.

It's also more expensive than alloy, but not so that it would add too much to the price of a caravan body.

The biggest problem with alloy, is that it stretches under pressure. My old Auto trail had large depressions along one side, where the kids had been batting a tennis ball:Eeek:

If you have a light dent, or bump, the panel has to be replaced, as it's extremely difficult to 'panel beat' back to the correct profile.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Personally, I'd go for fibreglass.

It's stronger, easer to repair, easily moulded, less likely to leak, won't corrode, warmer than alloy,and will last a lot longer than alloy if well maintained and looked after.

On the other side:

It's heavier than alloy.

If water gets absorbed then first frost and it starts to delaminate or come out in a rash of pin prick holes.

I think I'd go for fibreglass though.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Glass every time! for the reasons Doug has given above....

Most quality German manafacturers use GRP. aluminium can look better, its smoother then GRP and lighter, and why less technically proficant manafacturers use it. Fine until it starts getting knocked or scraped it is very easy to damage as it is soft.....Have seen countless hail damaged vans for sale on mobile.de just not economical to repair

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
sorry oft topic!

what is wrong with this forum ...I sometimes write a post only to see it disapear and this can happen repeatedly. until i get fed up and leave it. in this case it happened but low and behold it was there when I had a look again. Other odd things are that you have to refresh the page constantly or else the page you are looking for is not there anymore.......

sorry cowboy...back on topic

GRP: GOOD Aluminium: BAD :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
glad mine is aluminium .seen to many with osmosis in the fibre glass .also an aluminium,ight dent but glp. cracks ,fine hair line ones water ingress then you have trouble. glass does look better for fancy shapes . aluminium does corrode but its not that expensive to replace even large panels. you must have a nice aluminuim frame inside not a wooden scrap wood one like alot of uk builds. delamination is also a big problem with the sanwich glass boxes. at lest with alu you can rivet a patch. cheers alan

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
at lest with alu you can rivet a patch. cheers alan

Not so easy when Burstner is written on the side. My learning curve bit about the overhang has left a dinge in the side but it's where they have a \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ profile, I guess, to stiffen it.

So far I've not had the courage to attempt to fill and sand to that profile. But it's only cosmetic.

It's a wooden frame. In the right light you can now just pick out the frame, not sure if it was like that from new or whether time/wind/vibration had formed the ali to the frame.

Weight is THE killer for MHs so ali is definitely a good thing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back