Brompton folding bicycle (2 Viewers)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does anyone own a Brompton folding bicycle ?

Link Removed

I've never really considered one before but these look well made, get good reviews and they would be a lot easier to stow and keep away from the light fingered, ( had two bikes stolen already :Angry:) but can they really ever be as good as a regular bicycle ?

Pros cons any one ?

thanks

jim

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Jim
There is a guy who gets on my train in the morning. He has a brompton (and has had the same bike for at least the last 4 years) from getting off the bike to on the train takes him about 2 mins and the same the other end.

He is about 6ft and with the saddle up it looks a bit strange but it is a sturdy thing and packs down pretty small. But the price is really large (but as they say you gets what you pay for) however this bike has probably paid itself back for the owner as the car park is £3.50 per day plus whatever he would have to pay on the bus or tube.

Sonja

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim I just bought two semi fold-ups from Argos in their sale here: Link Removed

They were £58 each, I see they are now £150, :whatthe: so it looks like I only just got them. Ordered last Friday, arrived Monday, easy to put together and seem good quality, they only fold in the middle, although you can remove the handlebars easily with an allen key. Made in Tunisia.

Olley

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Does anyone own a Brompton folding bicycle ?
jim

Millions of people !

My daughter was one of them. She loved it to bits and she's a serious cyclist with half a dozen push bikes.

Then her husband borrowed it to get round London. He left it chained to some railings, they left him the cut chain :Angry:

That did not go down well, oh no, not at all.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Hi Jim,

I've been using folders for years, as they were excellent for folding and putting in the camper. I've had 3, and all ended up getting stolen, two in Holland, and one in Ireland. They are truly excellent bit's of kit, and they do offer a similar experience to a regular bike.

I have however, after reading many reviews, and a lot of heart searching, replaced the Bromptom with a John Whyte designed Mezzo D9. It is similarly priced to a Brompton, around £700, but for me, it's a much better ride. Why?? The ALUMINIUM frame doesn't fold, so it's much more rigid. It has a much better component fit too, Shimano Tiagra/SRAM mix, all really good quality. Unlike the Brompton, where all the components are Brompton specific, all the Mezzo parts are easily available from your local shop, and this also allows you to upgrade to whatever level you wish. It does fold up to a package about the same size as a Brompton, though the experts say it takes about 5 seconds longer. My god, a whole 5 seconds!!!

Link Removed

The biggest bonus however, is that it's not a Brompton, and because it is less well known, is less attarctive to thieves.

Here's a good review: The Folding Society - Mezzo d9 - an owner's view

Video here: Link Removed

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfsdyi13pRI[/ame]

I can, if you wish let you have some close up pics of mine. It's beautifully made, and a tour-de-force of alloy welding. I have seldom seen better.

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Brompton are the classic commuting bike as they have 16inch wheels and fold small they are not really a touring bike IMO.Designed for carring on and off trains and stored under an office desk....totally over engineered and expensive from a motorhoming perspective.

for motorhoming can I suggest the slightly bigger and a hell of a lot cheaper Dahon 20inch wheeled folders? larger wheels more comfortable for touring and loads available on ebay...there are a lot of models so choose carefully. try one at a bike shop to be sure. we carried them for years when we had a demountable.

but you can carry conventional bikes on a PVC with a door mounted rack......A far better ride

Last edited:

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
I worked with a guy in London that swears by them and has had Bromptons for the last 27 years or so. I beleive this is his 3rd they are very well made and from what I can see the folding mechanism is about the best.

Price is of course steep however as I understand the build quality is excellent. I have a Dahon which I bought in Halfords in Belgium for a fraction of the price. If you are using for train travel etc i would suggest the Brompton folds better. If for convenience of storing in the MH etc then there are much cheaper and very good ones (like the Dahon) that would do the job

Hope this helps

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Brompton are the classic commuting bike as they have 16inch wheels and fold small they are not really a touring bike IMO.

Brompton are great bikes for touring - I used to ride sometimes as far as 50 miles a day on mine. They may have small wheels, but the gearing is such that you don't notice. Having smaller wheels means that the bike accelerates much faster than a 26"/700c model, and smaller wheels also make it much easier to pedal uphill. Bromptons have been ridden round the world, across Australia, across the arctic circle, and have made other epic rides which many 'larger bikes' would be pushed to make.

Brompton bikes make great tourers!!

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Folding Bromptons

Hi Jim

We have a couple of six gear Bromptons, and yes they are a tuch expensive, but that price includes two "free" services, at six months and one year.:Smile:

Thay were the only cycle to fold down small enough, to fit the available space in our Bessy E760, now with the Hymer they roll around the garage and have to be tied down, plus they are secure and out of sight!::bigsmile:

In use they work as well as any "full size" frame, and the gear ratio works very well for us, they are also one of the lightest cycles available.

Hope this helps

Neville & Lynda

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thanks for all the good advice .. lots to ponder..

the Mezzo looks like a serious contender to the Brompton .. and both are made in the UK :thumb:
Next thing to do is to have a test ride on both.. and save up :roflmto:

cheers
jim

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
I recently bought a fold up bike off Ebay, real bargain at £35 and it was brand new, the seller bought it and realised he couldnt "off road" on it, durgh. His loss my gain. Doubt very much it would get pinched as its bright yellow and your not easily missed out and about. Sorry couldnt help re your query about Brompton but have heard they are very reliable but expensive. Mine is a Sunlova.

Dale

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Next thing to do is to have a test ride on both.. and save up :roflmto:
jim

Don't forget to test ride the electrics too. We have a folding electric for less than a Brompton. Not the same quality of course.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Don't forget to test ride the electrics too. We have a folding electric for less than a Brompton. Not the same quality of course.

Hi Brian ..
never tried a leccy bike.. never felt the need to but , not getting any younger and there is the odd occasion when a wee help would be welcome.. however, the main reason for looking at a folder was the ability to take on public transport and get full benefit of the bus pass :roflmto:

jim

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Jim

I bought two Dahon Speed 7 folders from J E James cycles of Sheffield in March. They were the 2008 models and at that time they cost £200 each. The 2009 model on their website is currently £279, I would expect that price to drop as the 2010 models come on stream.

Dahon Speed D7 Folding Bike

I had never ridden a folder before so did a bit of research, wobbled along like an advert for Chivers Jellies on some, felt amazingly cool and re-assured on the Brompton and dismissed some of the cheaper ones sold in the Marine Chandlers stores as visually attractive but less than rigid (cracking value for around £100.......but very heavy). Then I had a go on the Dahon. It ticked all of the boxes, folded in about 20 secs into a manageable lump of tubing and cables, was rigid and comfortable on roads, surprisingly good on well made paths and looked far more expensive than £200. It has good quality components, is very well made and finished and even came with a small pot of touch-up enamel.

By registering on-line, a very kind Mr Dahon gave me a lifetime warranty on the frame, forks and handleset and JE James gave a free first service on the bikes.

They are excellent bikes, perfect for the motorhome and they fit beautifully into a big blue IKEA bag when wet and dirty. Our first venture was along the Mawddach Estuary from Dollgellau to Barmouth which is a firm and level gravel path. The 20" wheels gave a very good ride and the tyres were wide enough to avoid tramlining in ruts. The riding position is upright which suites my back and although the return journey was about 18 miles it was a very comfortable ride.

I would have loved a Brompton but for less than the price of one we got two Dahons which hopefully will avoid the attention that Bromptons and other expensive bikes attract from the light-fingered community. In the end the wallet over-ruled the heart but after about 400miles of use in all weathers we are delighted with the bikes. We did however replace the standard saddles with Sportourer gel saddles which have made a real difference to ride comfort.

The only disadvantage we have found vis a full size bike is the need to remove the saddle post when chained up, as all it takes is a flick of a lever and its gone.

All in all a smashing purchase, easy to ride, easy to fold, easy to pack into a car boot or a motorhome and ready from folded to ride in about 20 secs. Perfick.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Jim

The only disadvantage we have found vis a full size bike is the need to remove the saddle post when chained up, as all it takes is a flick of a lever and its gone.

You could consider changing the quick release seat clamp for either a standard one with an allen bolt (all you'd need to do is carry an allen key), or a QR clamp with removeable lever. Both, however would be quickly overcome by a determined thief who probably carries both items with him.

My last Brompton was stolen from outside the Gaasperplas Metro station in Amsterdam. It was chainded, with my wifes 'bike in a bag', to a tubular steel bike tack bolted to the pavement. It was chained with two HIGH SECURITY chains with 1/4" hardened links and an unpickable Abus lock. The thieves cut through the tubular steel rack and took both bikes. The whole thing was recorded on a security camera. Nobody seemed to notice???:cry:

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Jim

We have a couple of six speed Brommy's and cant rate them highly enough. They fold up to not much bigger than one of the wheels so brill for the precious space of a motorhome.

They ride very similar to a full size bike and I often ride upto 20 miles on mine and I'm just under 20st, so they are built for the job.

There are also several bags and carriers made for the brommy too, so shopping for bits and bobs should be a doddle if you need to re stock.

The only down side again is the price I'm affraid.:Sad:

steve

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
We looked at many folders a few years ago, and decided on Bromptons. Expensive, but should last forever. We carry them unfolded on the bike rack, but can be put inside the van as necessary, and will fit in the car if required.

Fine on hard surfaces, but not suitable for anything remotely off road, so if you are thinking about rough forest trails, heavily shingled paths etc this (or any small wheeled folder) is not for you.

People seem to fall into two camps:

1. The Brompton is a design classic which just works and is worth the money.
2. The Brompton is overpriced and they are taking the p***.

Naturally, as an owner, I'm in camp (1)

Go on, you know you want it.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi after reading this thread I have changed my mind as to the biggest drawback with a Brompton, its not the price, its not being able to leave it, with any certainty it will be there when I got back after a days sightseeing.

I just don't think I could enjoy myself taking in the sights, while constantly wondering if my £800 bike had gone walkies.

Olley

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Take a look on the folding Society's site you may pick up an enthusiast's bargain
The Folding Society - Brompton
Or there is a chap who is at a lot of the shows who does a very good folder for about £150,interested in them myself. AS Bikes - providing quality folding bikes & folding bicycles

My chum is selling a Dahon
For Sale: Ridgeback Dahon Stowaway - folding bicycle in dark red with small wheels and hub gears. Includes holdall. Would be ideal for a city slicker or caravan/boat owner - anyone up to 6'.2" A present, used about 5 times. Viewing can be arranged at work base in Central Birkenhead and even a test ride/loan.- £150 or offers. Trade off /barter is possible. Text Paul Green at -079 79 646746 -

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
its not being able to leave it, with any certainty it will be there when I got back
Olley

A sad reflection on the world we live in.

One reason for the two cheap electrics we have. I'm a tight git and if they get nicked I won't cry longer than it takes to walk back to the van.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
you should be able to insure your bikes under an extension of your household insurance policy. I am still very relieved when i return and it is still there..... but the insurance is a comfort

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Heres a few folding bikes to look at.

Link Removed

Have a look at this one:Eeek::Eeek:

Link Removed

Last edited:

andycotterell

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
Europe-wide
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've been using a Brompton for commuting for several years so it was natural to bring it along in the motorhome.

If you use a folding bike regularly. a Brompton is the sensible choice for a number of reasons:
1. The riding position has the same dimensions as a full size bike. Many other folders have you bashing your knees on the handlebars.
2. Folding and unfolding is very fast - around 10 seconds for those of us that do it daily getting on and off of trains.
3. When folded, all of the mucky bits are on the inside, encased by the wheels. Most folders fold with the chain on the outside making it hazardous to carry or store.
4. When folded a Brompton clips together so that it doesn't flop about while you're carrying it. You can carry it single-handed by the saddle or, with the seat post extended, roll it on the parking wheels.
5. The luggage bracket on the head-post (unique to Bromptons as far as I know) allows you to carry remarkably large and heavy loads with no loss of stability. I have the large Brompton touring bag for this fitting and I use it for all my grocery shopping.
6. It's a good conversation piece. Outside of London, and especially in Europe, people are fascinated by it and often stop to chat.

Downsides:
1. In some places, especially London, people know what they are worth so they are a target for thieves. If in doubt, I just fold it and take it inside wherever I'm visiting.
2. Brompton components are surprisingly fragile (a frequent gripe on Brompton forums). They are very well designed but also built down to a weight and size so it's worth carrying lots of spares.
3. You have to be very careful in the wet and on uneven surfaces. Their narrow, high pressure tyres (100 psi, kevlar belted, Schwalbe Marathon are best) have a small, shallow contact area that will slide with little provocation.
4. Price, although you'll get most of your money back if you sell it later on.

warwick

Free Member
Sep 16, 2008
Funster No
We`ve had two Bromptons for 7 years probably done about 3000` on them in UK, France ,Germany Italy Austria Holland etc etc couple of punctures other than that no problem, just getting to the stage where I am replacing chains etc. Easy to get spares on line from Evans Cycles etc. Easy to fold and stow even in our now downsized Panel Van Conv. I see several references to theft, admittedly we keep an eye on them when out and about but they are easy to fold up and stow in front of the Driver and Passenger seats when not in use. Easy to ride, we always roar past anyone (on tarmac) riding any from of mountain bike and ours are only three speed!! Yes they are expensive and only worth buying if you intend cycling a lot, we virtually spend our holidays on them now mainly as its so easy to get around, walking from one end of the Promenade de Anglais at Nice to the other is a flog, on a Brompton a pleasure.

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I wildcamp and use a bike to :-

1. Cycle to the shops with a folding trailer.

2. Go looking for water, places to dump, parking etc

3. Take the dog for a walk off road.

4. Go looking for places to overnight off road.

I have a Dahon Zero-G folding 26" wheel ATB. It's just one lever to fold and fits easily into the van's 'garage'.

Don't know how many thousands of miles I've done on it but have worn one set of tyres out.

A Brompton - don't make me laugh:roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have a Dahon Zero-G folding 26" wheel ATB. It's just one lever to fold and fits easily into the van's 'garage'.

Don't know how many thousands of miles I've done on it but have worn one set of tyres out.

A Brompton - don't make me laugh:roflmto:

Hi
I'm sure it's an excellent bike and obviously more suitable for serious off road use, but at + £1k should be ..
Personally I prefer 'full size' road bikes, the Brompton and other folders fill a niche market .. as with all things we have to compromise.. horses for courses .

here is the difference..

IMG_0369a.jpg

this is me on my Trek road bike... fancy a race ? :winky:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.