motorhome specific or lcd (1 Viewer)

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Hi there anyone know if there is a difference between a dedicated motorhome tv such as meos or avtec and a standard of the peg lcd tv. I was thinking about the tuning and signal quality or are they all the same.
cheers

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi there anyone know if there is a difference between a dedicated motorhome tv such as meos or avtec and a standard of the peg lcd tv. I was thinking about the tuning and signal quality or are they all the same.
cheers

Hi Summies,

Not sure about the meos, but the main difference is the motorhome specific are normally AC and DC powered.

If you don't need that then go anywhere.

Regards

Chris

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Everything is the same except that your running on 230 Volts with your front room telly and 12 Volt with the Meous. I have a Meous and its excellent, can be run on 230Volt.

Jim
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
yea i think i have got my head around the power issues just checking that there is no difference with tuning etc. thanks all

koffee

Free Member
Mar 22, 2008
Funster No
Named brand or noname supermarket type?

I'm still looking for a screen for the van but am undecided on what to go for.

Do I go for a flat screen type sold in my local dealer store for around 400 credits or am I just as well off with a no-name type on special offer for around 100 or so?

Other threads on this forum mention a stabilised supply
Question: If it comes with a 12V DC lead then can I assume it's ok?

How do you determine it's power usage? (should I care - do they vary that much?)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Do I go for a flat screen type sold in my local dealer store for around 400 credits or am I just as well off with a no-name type on special offer for around 100 or so?

How do you determine it's power usage? (should I care - do they vary that much?[/COLOR])

I would

I wouldnt care, 12V is nothing

Jim
:Smile:

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005

How do you determine it's power usage? (should I care - do they vary that much?)

Basically if it is cheap then you will see why when you turn it on!

Whilst the Motorhome dealer may cost more, the basic principle is the quality of the picture which is made up of a number of things, the most important being the white to black ratio. The higher this is, the better the picture and clearer/darker the blacks.

If a TV you are looking at has a 12V lead then it can obviously take 12V. Stabilised supplies become important when you are using the generator or an inverter to get 240VAC out of your batteries. In this case you need a pure sinewave otherwise all sorts of interference can occur.

Regards

Chris

JQL

Free Member
Aug 30, 2009
South of Paris
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I measured up the hole where the TV had to fit then wandered round Curries, Comet etc. looking for ones that would fit. I then checked to see which ones had a 12V "power brick". Choose the one I liked best (a Maxim from Curries) and installed it with an Amperor regulated 12V supply.

It's been working for the last couple of years no bother connected to a Satellite Freeview box, DVD Player and the NetMaster 90 Satellite system.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We did as JQL above, the regulator bit is to literally regulate a 12volt supply, ie pick a telly that suites and runs on 12volt via the afore mentioned brick. They're easy to spot, just walk round Curries, Comet where ever and look up thier bums!

Finding one with the brick, if you look where the lead plugs in chances are it will be marked 12 volt and if not the brick will be marked. The idea here, with the regulator, is leave the brick in the box and wire the telly in for 12 volts only so it runs of 12 volt whether you're hooked up or not.

A theory is that MH/caravan specific have the regulation built in though there are many that don't bother and just connect across the battery successfully.

I figured better safe than sorry. We picked up a 19" Kenmark with freeview and built in DVD from Comet for £180 and we are very impressed especially as there are no markings on the case which makes it extremely tidy, and the fact that it was the only one that would fit in the gap!

Picture, sound and easy of use are excellent for the price in my opinion, and we've picked up signal in places we'd struggled before, though that might be the old areial (I cannot spell that work for toffee!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back