Solar Panel and CTEK D250S Dual Installation completed. (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
At last I have finished the installation of a 100W Solar Panel on my MH. I used the tried and tested method of Aluminium Angle riveted to the panels and then bonded to the roof using Sika 512.

All that is left to do is to fit some trunking between the panels and the gland through the roof.

Instead of a more common MPPT Solar Controller, I have fitted a CTEK D250S Dual. This acts as a MPPT controller, and 5-stage B2B charger, and also charges the Vehicle battery from solar, once the 2 x 110Ah habitation batteries are fully charged. I have fused the output from the CTEK, and fitted an isolator for the input from the Solar Panels.

The CTEK unit can handle 340W Solar, and charges @ 20 Amps from the Alternator. Although this is not as much as a Sterling B2B, it should meet my needs, at a much lower cost. I have already noticed that following a journey, the Habitation batteries are charged better than they used to be.

By using the combined unit, I know there will be no conflict between B2B and Solar Charging.

Solar 3.jpg Solar 2.jpg Solar 1.jpg

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
I have a ctek dual I fitted a few weeks ago

Brilliant kit. Not as good possibly separates but my batteries are well charged on just 100watt solar. Important as I have compressor fridge now

Daniel

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
We have a CTEK250S Dual with 240w solar and 225Ah leisure batteries fitted. Even in December we get enough current to keep both leisure and starter batteries topped up. We installed a couple of years ago and so far it has been faultless.

We even feed power into the CTEK from an 18v PSU on hookup (in place of the solar) to provide any extra top up needed for heavy 12v use overnight - this enables us to make use of the intelligent charging of the CTEK without recourse to another full spec mains charger. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
..........We installed a couple of years ago and so far it has been faultless.

They seem to have a good reputation.

The first D250S unit I fitted was actually faulty, but I contacted Amazon, where I had bought it, and they sent me a (working) replacement within 24 hours!

So far I am very pleased with it.

John

Deleted User
We have a CTEK250S Dual with 240w solar and 225Ah leisure batteries fitted. Even in December we get enough current to keep both leisure and starter batteries topped up. We installed a couple of years ago and so far it has been faultless.

We even feed power into the CTEK from an 18v PSU on hookup (in place of the solar) to provide any extra top up needed for heavy 12v use overnight - this enables us to make use of the intelligent charging of the CTEK without recourse to another full spec mains charger. (y)

Another option is to connect the 18v power supply to the alternator input via a relay. If on hook up the batteries get charged through the Ctek alternator input, if not on hook then the batteries get charged via the solar input.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Another option is to connect the 18v power supply to the alternator input via a relay. If on hook up the batteries get charged through the Ctek alternator input, if not on hook then the batteries get charged via the solar input.

I still have the original Sargent PSU fitted for when I am on hookup - although it is not as "intelligent" as the D250S Dual. I have fitted a relay in the line from the Sargent, that goes open-circuit when the engine is running, to make full use of the CTEK B2B facility.

The Sargent PSU defaults to charge the Habitation Batteries, but can be manually overridden to charge the Vehicle battery (but not both at the same time) However, I have discovered that when I now set the Sargent to charge the Vehicle battery, the CTEK B2B function simultaneously charges the Habitation Batteries.

(I would only do this if the Habitation batteries were nearly fully charged, so as not to put too much load on the Sargent PSU.)

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
Yes quite correct, it is possible - but it would not achieve what I want. I wish to have the option of keeping BOTH leisure and starter batteries topped up by the intelligent charging of the CTEK from either solar or mains.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I have a ctek dual I fitted a few weeks ago

Brilliant kit. Not as good possibly separates but my batteries are well charged on just 100watt solar. Important as I have compressor fridge now

Daniel
Hi Daniel, I know your post is months old but if U shld see this I'd really like to know what a :ctek dual: is? Any help wld be much appreciated. Regards, James;,,, Bigguspeckkus.

Jul 11, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Concorde Compact
Exp
Since I was 18.... 1996....
Morning bigguspeckus

The ctek dual is a battery to battery charger that replaces a split charge system , it puts more power into your leisure batteries than a standard split charge. And works the same charging regime as a ctek mains charger. It also has an input for solar panel and decided which is and charges leisure battery form the best source.

It charges at up to 20 amps so less than a sterling charger.

Daniel

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
@bigguspekus - I started the original post.

Here is a link to the CTEK web page. There is a good explanation of how it works. It also acts as a Solar Panel Controller, and you can add a solar panel as as option at a later date.

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/D250S DUAL

You can also download a manual from here.

Installation was very simple, once I had routed the cables from the vehicle to leisure battery area.

I am very pleased with it. When driving, the leisure batteried are charged quicker, and to a better charge than before. The optional 100W solar panel keeps the leisure batteries charged, and when they are fully charged, provides a trickle charge to the vehicle battery. On trips away in the summer, the habitation batteries were always fully charged in the evening, without using EHU

John

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Morning bigguspeckus

The ctek dual is a battery to battery charger that replaces a split charge system , it puts more power into your leisure batteries than a standard split charge. And works the same charging regime as a ctek mains charger. It also has an input for solar panel and decided which is and charges leisure battery form the best source.

It charges at up to 20 amps so less than a sterling charger.

Daniel
Ta muchesslottass Daniel, from dun ear in Narfuk.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp

Here is a link to the CTEK web page. There is a good explanation of how it works. It also acts as a Solar Panel Controller, and you can add a solar panel as as option at a later date.

Installation was very simple, once I had routed the cables from the vehicle to leisure battery area.

I am very pleased with it. When driving, the leisure batteried are charged quicker, and to a better charge than before. The optional 100W solar panel keeps the leisure batteries charged, and when they are fully charged, provides a trickle charge to the vehicle battery. On trips away in the summer, the habitation batteries were always fully charged in the evening, without using EHU

John

John
Info much appreciated Revolvor, tazee lots from dun ear in Narfuk.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
Anybody else use the CTEK 250?

The current model is the 250SA, which has replaced the 250S. £229 from Roadpro and a few sellers on eBay:

I have a 1991 Hymer 534 and the charging from driving is decent but how much better would it be with a CTEK?

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Anybody else use the CTEK 250?

I have a 1991 Hymer 534 and the charging from driving is decent but how much better would it be with a CTEK?

@Fulltiming Felines
18 months on from my original post, I am still pleased with the performance of the CTEK D250S Dual. It has performed well keeping Leisure & Vehicle batteries well charged. In the winter, my MH is parked in full shade, and with 200W Solar, I occasionally need to connect a smart trickle charger to the vehicle battery, to keep it fully charged, but I don't think that is unusual.

My version is only suitable for Lead acid batteries, but the new one, with similar specifications, can also cater for Gel, AGM etc.

The 20A B2B output is not very much, but because it is a 5-stage charger, I believe it charges the leisure batteries more efficiently.

If 20 amps are not enough, and you have a suitable alternator fitted, the addition of the "SmartPass" unit, which just clips onto the D250, will allow you to charge an 800AH battery bank at 120A.

olyella

Free Member
Mar 18, 2019
Funster No
MH
conversion

Hi ericroy, hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread! Very interested in replicating what you've done with a psu supplying the Ctek 250. (trying to avoid buying another mains charger when the 250 is a perfectly good one)

Do you keep the solar attached?
What amp rating / type psu do you use?
Any more details at all would be greatly appreciated!

Best

Sep 22, 2013
Halifax
Funster No
MH
Relay self-build
Exp
Trainee MH owner
PM sent.

Solar is automatically disconnected by a changeover relay that operates when the PSU switches on.

The 18v from the PSU activates the relay (via a regulator to limit the voltage to 12v) breaking the connection from the solar panels and feeding the 18v into the CTEK solar input.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I want one, what does it do ......

seriously, I am looking to add some solar - though space is limited on the roof due to sat dome and tv aerial, so will need some smaller footprint panels. I am in no rush so will continue to read the posts on this forum - as a starting point though, any recommendations for smaller footprint panels ......?????

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
After some research, I decided against this CTEK because the voltage limit for solar is too low. Ring makes a similar unit that can handle more volts. But I went with another setup that my solar installer recommended instead that's cheaper.

Fulltiming Felines

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Funster No
I'll have to get the details about this but the MPPT is an Epever. Not sure how the alternator charges the batteries in my system.

Apr 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
Renault Master conv
Exp
Beginner
PM sent.

Solar is automatically disconnected by a changeover relay that operates when the PSU switches on.

The 18v from the PSU activates the relay (via a regulator to limit the voltage to 12v) breaking the connection from the solar panels and feeding the 18v into the CTEK solar input.

Hi ericroy
Apologies for resurrecting this subject again, but I'm interested in the idea of connecting a PSU to the solar terminals on the CTEK 250 so the mains will trickle feed the vehicle batteries when the mh is undercover (and save buying a expensive mains charger!).
Any details would be gratefully received!
Does it mean that your 240v system is powered through the CTEK & inverter even when you're hooked up?

Thanks

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Don’t forget for the Ctek to work you will have to disconnect the Sargent split charge relay.

DazedConfused

Free Member
Jun 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pickup conversion
@Fulltiming Felines
18 months on from my original post, I am still pleased with the performance of the CTEK D250S Dual. It has performed well keeping Leisure & Vehicle batteries well charged. In the winter, my MH is parked in full shade, and with 200W Solar, I occasionally need to connect a smart trickle charger to the vehicle battery, to keep it fully charged, but I don't think that is unusual.

My version is only suitable for Lead acid batteries, but the new one, with similar specifications, can also cater for Gel, AGM etc.

The 20A B2B output is not very much, but because it is a 5-stage charger, I believe it charges the leisure batteries more efficiently.

If 20 amps are not enough, and you have a suitable alternator fitted, the addition of the "SmartPass" unit, which just clips onto the D250, will allow you to charge an 800AH battery bank at 120A.

DazedConfused

Free Member
Jun 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pickup conversion
Revolvor

How are you finding the trickle charging? I have a D250S Dual, and looking at a lot of trickle chargers they seem to have maintenance and reconditioning functions. Do they all play nicely together? Do you just connect it to the vehicle battery, and does anything happen to the leisure battery? Thanks!

DazedConfused

Free Member
Jun 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Pickup conversion
Revolvor - sorry, seem to have posted the quote separate to my reply by mistake, and not sure if my @-ing worked on the previous message. I couldn’t see a way of direct messaging you I’m afraid.

OP
OP
Revolvor
Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Revolvor

How are you finding the trickle charging? I have a D250S Dual, and looking at a lot of trickle chargers they seem to have maintenance and reconditioning functions. Do they all play nicely together? Do you just connect it to the vehicle battery, and does anything happen to the leisure battery? Thanks!
I've had no problem that I know of. I've used two ways to keep my batteries charged during winter, when very little or no sun gets on the solar panels. Initially I used a Smart Charger (4 amps max) connected to the Engine battery. I believe that the float voltage was just enough to activate the B2B function, and so it charged the Leisure battery too. However recently I fitted a Vanbitz Battery Master to keep the Engine battery charged from the Leisure battery. I know the D250S is meant to do that, but I often found the Leisure battery voltage was insufficient to trigger it. I now use a cheap trickle charger (0.8 amps max) to float charge the Leisure battery, and the Engine battery never drops below 12.7 volts. In Spring, Summer and Autumn, the Solar panels and Battery Master keep all batteries fully charged.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back