Wanted chassis brackets for A frame (1 Viewer)

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi everybody, just an update and a request for more help. we are slowly getting most of the things we want for our hymer, we have just aquired an A frame car a tow which comes with the universal pull bracket, but we need the chassis attachment for a fiat 126, has anybody out there got one please.
We have had some adventures in our motorhome the first night we spent 3 foot from the sea wall, and we were pounded by wind and waves all night, felt a bit sea sick but overall a great first night, the next morning awoke to thick salt on the side of the van so much so you could not see out the windows . so off to the garage to pressure wash before carrying on our tour of north Norfolk. We had a great time and loved the fact that you can just stop and make tea with no hassle. we really love the van and can't wait for our next escape.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not 100% sure but i think these plates are fabricated on a car by car basis by the installers.

mine were easy to make....just a pair of flat plates about 150mm X 300mm X 10mm simply drilled and bolted to the chassis front crossmember with anticrush tubes and the front edge protruding from the lower grill.

OP
OP
bubble

bubble

Free Member
Sep 4, 2009
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper
Exp
Returning after break
Hi thank you, can you tell us what car you pull and is yours a car a tow frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , there must be a fabricator/mechanic near you who can make some plates . they arent very teccy just have to be stronger than you need . i,m sure someone close to you knows a mechanic that works on the side. ask in your local pub.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I have a Fiat Sciecento with a Car A Tow frame, the towing bracket on mine goes under the engine and is bolted to the chassis fore and aft of the engine. You also need the brake cable and a lighting kit.

I think your best bet is to contact CarATow, you can buy DIY car fitting kits

see here:
Link Removed

jim

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Complete SystemsOur pricing varies depending on the make and model of your vehicle.
Please select your vehicle from the list to display the correct price.
Vehicle Make: --------- Bedford Citroen Chevrolet Daewoo Daihatsu Fiat Ford Honda Hyundai Kia Mazda Mini Mercedes Mitsubishi Nissan Perodua Peugeot Renault Rover Seat Skoda Smart Subaru Suzuki Toyota Vauxhall VW
Vehicle Model: AgilaAstra 2006>CorsaTigraZafira

Car-a-tow Fitted System: £997.00
Car-a-tow D.I.Y. System: £759.00

Ouch !!!!!

a`frame .....£120 (evilbay)

brake cable kit ......£40 (when i bought it)

steel plates and nuts/bolts etc .....£20

1.5mtr 7 core cable plus plug and socket .....£10 (connected to car lights)

fuel from scarborough to Rayleigh, essex and back .....£80 (at the time)

Blood, sweat and tears fitting it.....free !!!

total £270....... saving £485 on new.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hey pappa. why not use a handbrake cable for the brakes .you can get lovely trailer cables for only a few quid.come with a scew type fixing for bulkhead. peake trailers 5 quid. get the right length easy fix with clevis pin to pedal . various lengths available . i know i,m a cheap skate. cheers alan.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i did think about that alan but then the purpose made one is the correct length on the inner and outer for the corsa
ie: pedal to bulkhead and front bracket to bowden cable clevis with around 1.5" adjustment and the correct overall length.

to buy a handbrake cable would mean my local auto supplier going through a lot of cables to find the correct lengths and, while we are on good terms, even he would get pi&&ed off eventually. ::bigsmile:

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Vauxhall Corsa brackets can be fabricated quite easaly with flat plate to attach to chassis behind front plastic fender. Remove fender from car held on by small bolts at front and around wheel archs. Either make up plate yourself or find someone who can make one up for you ensuring that the connection points to the frame are accesible when fender refitted. Ring Chris Cox for brake cable he will supply. Have towed 2 Corsa's in 6 years, good tow vehicle.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Vauxhall Corsa brackets can be fabricated quite easaly with flat plate to attach to chassis behind front plastic fender. Remove fender from car held on by small bolts at front and around wheel archs. Either make up plate yourself or find someone who can make one up for you ensuring that the connection points to the frame are accesible when fender refitted. Ring Chris Cox for brake cable he will supply. Have towed 2 Corsa's in 6 years, good tow vehicle.:thumb:

Deja vu !!!!!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

mine were easy to make....just a pair of flat plates about 150mm X 300mm X 10mm simply drilled and bolted to the chassis front crossmember with anticrush tubes and the front edge protruding from the lower grill.

better still...ring caratow for the correct brake cable !!!!

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes you are correct john. i use peak trailers alot they are probably the biggest trailer parts supplier in uk. trailer hand brake cables have lots of variations +bolt/ grub screw ends etc . if you need trailer parts i recomend peak trailers near alcester . there shop factory is an alladins cave . you just want to go around touching and looking.( i know i,m not right in the head. ).they supply alot of trailer manufacurers . must admit if i wanted a new aframe it would be made in cornwall ,here. cheers alan.

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
A frame towing

:thumb::thumb:Hi I tow a ford Fiesta on an A frame, attatches to a normal tow-ball two pins go against wish bone chains go through wish bone then fasten to strap then ratchet tight. car ignition turned to unlock steering, and with the hand brake OFF away you go. I have no need for any kind of special brackets

Hope this reply is of some help Cheers
George :thumb::thumb: this kind of A frame can be used on any tow vehicle up to 2 Tons.

I have towed my fiesta 100's of miles no problems. But it doe's depend on what kind of A frame you have. All I do is check straps after first 5 miles and then when we a make a comfort stop but never had to adjust yet.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
:thumb::thumb:Hi I tow a ford Fiesta on an A frame, attatches to a normal tow-ball two pins go against wish bone chains go through wish bone then fasten to strap then ratchet tight. car ignition turned to unlock steering, and with the hand brake OFF away you go. I have no need for any kind of special brackets

Hope this reply is of some help Cheers
George :thumb::thumb: this kind of A frame can be used on any tow vehicle up to 2 Tons.

Hi George,
sounds like a recovery A frame to me and isnt legal for normal towing.....is it braked?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They do braked ones now John I have one, But as you say Recovery only and severe speed restrictions apply to this type:Eeek: Not suitable for Motor home use
Despite what Alan will come back and say:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi geo, i,m not going to bite. i still use mine for recovery .i worked it out 10yr ago its not really a good idea to tow anything behind a large m,home. be it aframe or trailer. so thats why i have been driving my mini artic .dont need to tow a car at all and have room in the back for a m.bike. have all the worlds all the time. imagine using the harvey frost towboy to tow a car all the way to maroc at legal speeds .be there 2012. i do take an intertrade tow pole ,various chains straps n ropes . like i say lets see the anti aframers reverse a 3ft x 4ft camping trailer behind there camper. ha ha .specialy if they have a big camper.
cheers 5ers are the way you will all have one soon its catching. alan.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Deja vu !!!!!! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

better still...ring caratow for the correct brake cable !!!!

Just made up a 5mm thick plate version in my workshop (on the same lines as Car-A-Tows bracket) to bolt to the underside of my new to me Toyota Yaris Verso.

Today I was checking the metal under the front cross member and found it to be very poor indeed. it seems to be 1.5mm thick and bent into angle or square section to give it strength, so irrespective of my meaty frame I recon it will pull the front of the car off.

i think I am going to have to extend two brackets back to the suspension sub-frame, is there any technical type chappy out there who can agree or come up with a better solution.

My previous toad( Smarty) had a fairly solid bracket in the front in lieu of the cross-member which was made and installed by Car-A-Tow, so it came as quite a shock to find nothing of any sense to bolt into.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Brian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I have a Fiat Sciecento with a Car A Tow frame, the towing bracket on mine goes under the engine and is bolted to the chassis fore and aft of the engine.

jim

i think I am going to have to extend two brackets back to the suspension sub-frame, is there any technical type chappy out there who can agree or come up with a better solution.

Brian

Hi Brian .. that's how mine is done .. :thumb:

jim

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim,
After checking under mine this morning with a fresh eye. I have found I can attach behind the engine, similar to yours,

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian

your welcome, if you want a picture let me know..

jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back