suey

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
I am planning my retirement (was hoping it would be this year but couldnt sell flat in current economic climate). I am hoping that next year will see it sold and I will be off. I currently only have a micro camper so will be buying a new van Was wondering if there are any other women out there who are solo full timers and what experiences they have had.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am hoping that next year will see it sold and I will be off.

Well done, some would say brave but despite all the publicity MHing is safe enough if you know not to park in stupid places and take sensible precautions with your security. Go have a ball.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Good luck with your plans and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of full timers on here who can give good advice ..

While touring in France we met a single lady full timer in a 36ft RV and running her business via a satellite internet link .. :Cool:

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I am planning my retirement (was hoping it would be this year but couldnt sell flat in current economic climate). I am hoping that next year will see it sold and I will be off. I currently only have a micro camper so will be buying a new van Was wondering if there are any other women out there who are solo full timers and what experiences they have had.
Good for you! :thumb:

I'm also in a similar situation with the possibility of being able to take a redundancy next year, plus 'bricks 'n mortar to sell or rent out. Long harboured an interest to fulltime since travelling extensively in europe limited by one thing only......having to return to go back to work! :Angry:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Good luck on your travels Your van seem OK for 1 person We regularily see a lady called Linda in Spain who travels alone (with her dog) in a Berlingo NOW thats small::bigsmile:

OP
OP
S

suey

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
conversion
Exp
Thanks for all the comments. I am planning to buy a bigger van than the micro van I currently own. Feel that would be too small for full time living...well it would be for me. I am looking at low profile models preferably with end lounge for comfortable living.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am looking at low profile models preferably with end lounge for comfortable living.

Sound thinking on fuel consumption grounds.

Better too big than too small I would think, you need a lot of space for a fulltimer's clothing stock I am guessing. And all the day to day things we might do without on holiday.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi suey WELCOME to MH Fun ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Hope all goes well with your plans, as long as you are sensible about your travel can see no reason not to if you want.

Go for it and enjoy.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
full -timeing

I am not a full timer although retired because we have an 8 year old :ROFLMAO:But we still get away for 10 weeks a year.
If you venture over to France take Norfolk lines Dover Dunkerk it's the cheapest crossing.
I have a LDV profsional conversion 19 ft long and a small trailer and I get return peak time £135 Dover Calais £197 They are only 20 mins apart.

Hope this helps:thumb: our van is called SLEEP E CARR.

Regards George Joan David Happy traveling be safe

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Welcome and Hope your dreams come true. My own dreams for the last 3 years, just haven't got the nerve to cut the ties Lost my wife 6 years ago, the only thing holding me is 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren:cry:
Good luck and best wishes.

Don

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
My mother in law is nearly 80 and drives her 1981 Transit-based MH to Germany every year. :Eeek:
Alone. :Eeek::Eeek:
To her school reunion. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Good luck on your travels Your van seem OK for 1 person We regularily see a lady called Linda in Spain who travels alone (with her dog) in a Berlingo NOW thats small::bigsmile:

Snap, we met that lady last year just outside Barca, on a Motorway Service Area.

Jim
:Smile:

May 22, 2008
Funster No
I am not a full timer although retired because we have an 8 year old :ROFLMAO:But we still get away for 10 weeks a year.
If you venture over to France take Norfolk lines Dover Dunkerk it's the cheapest crossing.
I have a LDV profsional conversion 19 ft long and a small trailer and I get return peak time £135 Dover Calais £197 They are only 20 mins apart.

Hope this helps:thumb: our van is called SLEEP E CARR.

Regards George Joan David Happy traveling be safe
I cannot find a cheaper return crossing to France than with SEA FRANCE, I have tried several search engines and all are quoting about £60 -£70 more for Norfolk Line.Where do you get your prices from, even going direct to Norfolk Line the fares are more than Sea France, help Please.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999

What a small world! We know Lynda too! :Smile: We usually meet her in Orgiva - we're there now but Lynda isn't! I think she was planning on going to Italy this autumn before coming to Spain.

She does really well with her little van and her gorgeous dog Tasha. She does quite a bit of wild camping but is careful where she does stop. Her van has the advantage of not looking like a camper so is quite unobtrusive when parked up.

Suey - go for it - you'll met loads of people on the road with help and advice - plenty of people doing it - either full time or long term. :thumb::thumb:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Good luck, wish I could do it as well, teenagers and lack of income prevent.............but as soon as I can kick them out, sell up and draw my pension ...................... :winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, hope you enjoy every minute of your adventure. my advice is dont burn any bridges and try to keep something here. iys nice to dream about fulltiming ,i,v seen so many over the uears i dont think its always the dream come true .i dont want to spoil it but be warned dreams sometimes turn to nightmares. i may be the only one to give you this advise ,its only my observations. i used to think i wanted to fulltime ,i now longterm have the best of both worlds. try to get the balance,home and away. have fun ,see you on the road somewhere ,cheers alan.

do1977

Free Member
Oct 28, 2008
where i park up
Funster No
MH
A class rv
well i am 32 years old i have a 34ft rv already to go BUT i am not shore as i am on my own and
i am not tied down and just dont no where to go and

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
well i am 32 years old i have a 34ft rv already to go BUT i am not shore as i am on my own and
And what????

No ties, on your own and don't know where to go?? :whatthe:

Winter is almost upon us in damp and grey shitey blighty. Try heading south. The further the better!

cris5555

Free Member
Aug 2, 2008
Where my hats hanging
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs caravan 5yrs motorhome
Hi Suey, I was in the same postion as you just after Christmas just gone. Could'nt sell my flat becuase of the ressesion and needed the money to start full-timeing. So what we decided to do was take a 2nd mortgage enough for my needs for 2 years, rent out the flat through a letting agent, the rent we now recieve covers the mortgage with about £80 a month in pocket which more than enough to cover the service charge and a bit over. Hopefully when we sell the flat in March 2011 it will make realalistic money. We have now been full-timeing since March and it's the best thing we have ever done. I hope this info helps and might give you another option. Good luck in the future. Regards Chris

Averhamdave

Free Member
Oct 19, 2008
Nr Newark, Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
6 years (25yrs tugging!)
I cannot find a cheaper return crossing to France than with SEA FRANCE, I have tried several search engines and all are quoting about £60 -£70 more for Norfolk Line.Where do you get your prices from, even going direct to Norfolk Line the fares are more than Sea France, help Please.

....and most people, including me, find P&O now cheaper than Seafrance who we all used to use! I'd have Norfolk Lines in the Tunnel price bracket!

RichyB

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
Staffs UK
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
3 months
I'm a single gent just planning the same thing, currently renting my house, but hoping to sell soon. I've recently bought an IH Tio R which is wonderful - not too big, lots of storage and economical too! Good luck with your plans.

Sue76

Free Member
Jan 6, 2010
Funster No
Full timimg solo

I too am making plans to go full timing on my own, been dreaming too long. I am going to start off in Portugal as I have done a couple of months there this year and found it very beautiful,cheap and safe. Will keep you up to date of my travels.

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
We used to fulltime, we don't now but often wonder why not as it really suited us. Whilst we were fulltiming we met an elderly lady fulltiming in a little renault micro van. She had just replaced her older one with a newer one so it must have worked for her

stew

gunerdoo

Free Member
Oct 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
ROMAHOME
Good Luck Lass

Good Luck and Good Hunting for a Better Lifestyle :thumb:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years

I went down the Med in my Winnie last summer and after a couple of weeks alone you get p!!d off, its a great place and you have nobody to share the sites with, l got lonely and came home, you will meet lots of people and have some good times but everybodys in there own little worlds. Paul

Bouncer123

Free Member
Aug 22, 2009
The New Forest
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
6 years
Cheap crossing to FRance

We used Eurotunnel in November, using Tesco Vouchers and it cost us:Smile: £3.00!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back