Free Member
Sep 28, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year still newbies
Just been looking round some sites for a short break holiday, and keep seeing that if your whole party is over 50 then you get some good discounts.

WHY ONLY THE OVER 50's:Angry:

My better half and I are both now retired and are both 42 I think that this is ageist.

Who decided on 50 being the level? what is the difference between someone who is 50 and someone who is 49 or in our case 42?:Angry:

is this right? :shout:

Rant over:cry:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
retired at 42 ah thats a special rate for you then .
...................Double normal rates.

OP
OP
Bigwiz

Bigwiz

Free Member
Sep 28, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year still newbies
good to see there is some sympathy out there mate! :roflmto:

NO KIDS means retire twenty years earlier!

We are LINK's (Little Income No Kids)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
Just been looking round some sites for a short break holiday, and keep seeing that if your whole party is over 50 then you get some good discounts.

Why not??

My better half and I are both now retired and are both 42 I think that this is ageist.

I bet when you were a kid, you didn't think it 'ageist' when you got cheap travel, and cheap entry to events/functions as a juvenile.

Who decided on 50 being the level? what is the difference between someone who is 50 and someone who is 49 or in our case 42?:Angry:

The difference between someone who is 50, and someone who is 49 is 1 year, or in your case, 8 years.

Absolutely - my wife and I are both over 50, and can now get cheap overnight rates!!:ROFLMAO:

Seriously, when an organisation has to make a decision as to which age is best when making a decision, they will have to take into account the age of most people using the facility. I'm pretty certain that most users will be under 50. Applying discounts under this age would lead to a drastic loss of revenue. We also have to consider that they are under to obligation to give a discount, and that any discount offered should be accepted gratefully.

Most discounts also apply outside school holidays, so in most respects it will be retired couple using the facility, so making the age 50, not 60 or 65, is, in fact, quite generous.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
good to see there is some sympathy out there mate! :roflmto:

We are LINK's (Little Income No Kids)

We are Medium Income Three Kids.....

MITKS Doesn't quite work does it?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No time to retire yet!!!!

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Most people over 50 seem unemployable:Doh:

But you have to start at some age and you'll be there soon as the years fly by.:help:

What would be unfair is when you hit 50 the rules change and its discounts to under 50 only:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I think one of the big problems is that todays 40's are yesterdays mid twenty's, 50 year olds are about mid 30's and 60 yeard olds are yesterdays 40 somethings..

Basically our behavious and outlook on life is getting younger and we seem to be getting somewhat more boisterous in later years !

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
over 50's

i agree why only get your pension at 65 or 60 for some women.
we should all retire when we leave school (ok some do).
but a lot of people just over 50 are retiring early with reasonable disposable income.
we have to be enticed to part with our money, so why not special deals.
jealous of you retiring at 42 though.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i agree why only get your pension at 65 or 60 for some women.

You can get pension credit at 60

If you are aged 60 or over and living in Great Britain you may be entitled to the Guarantee Credit. This guarantees a minimum income by topping up your weekly income to:
£130 if you are single
£198.45 if you have a partner

Pension Credit - introduction : Directgov - Money, tax and benefits

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hmm - I'm still under 60 at the mo, married to an old bloke - quick hide this post! - he's only very slightly over 60!

My 'big' sis and her hubby are (now) Australian and are 'seniors' in the sense that they officially qualify. I've got some grey hair, Pete got a white streak in Greece in 1998 and it never grew out!

Seniors discount for all of us, everywhere we went. Zoo, boat trips, coffe bars, restaurants - at least 10%, often 25% - you name it, we ALL got a discount - and no-one asked to see the cards.

And it seemed to us that all people 'our' age in Oz act like they were still 40, Jaws!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Why not??? We get very little else in the way of perks until you get to 60 then you can get a bus pass :thumb: You say why not 49 or 42 but then why not any age then it wouldn't really be a discount would it as everybody would pay the same price. I wish I could have retired at 42, I had to wait until I was 60 & then I consider myself luckier than those who have to wait until 65.
Other than that why not lie & say you are over 50 if you really need the discount, is it likely they are going to ask for proof?

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
And if/when Tories get in, the bus pass will be a thing of the past. They have already said its too expensive to run.

Don

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
So thats where I went wrong Bigwiz. I had 3 boys and now 5 grandsons Great fun having all those boys toys Now retired at 62 (the new 42) and loving it. A bit poorer but what fun I've had!!:thumb:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
So thats where I went wrong Bigwiz. I had 3 boys and now 5 grandsons Great fun having all those boys toys Now retired at 62 (the new 42) and loving it. A bit poorer but what fun I've had!!:thumb:

Kids & great fun in the same sentence....... now that is a strange (but nice) concept.

Deleted User

Well said that man!!!

suntorfan

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Compass 2 berth
Exp
since March 09
This is gonna sound miserable..........but believe me, there are very few concessions, freebies, discounts, handouts,special offers or tax credits out there for us 50 somethings.........................give us a break!

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
No problem.
Public services where I live have run on a wing, prayer, and divine intervention for some years now.

It is a problem. The main reason for us not going to wales with the mh is that they will not accept an English travel pass. When your camped in a relativley remote palce its surprising how much you can save on tbe bus with a travel pass.

Jim
:Smile:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Most people over 50 seem unemployable:Doh:

But you have to start at some age and you'll be there soon as the years fly by.:help:

What would be unfair is when you hit 50 the rules change and its discounts to under 50 only:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wish somebody would deem that I am unemployable, gettin on too 64 and cant get out.

Jim
:shout:

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
As 50 is the new 40 just tell the sites in question you are 50+. Nobody will challenge you unless you are one of the lucky ones like my wife who looks 15 years younger than she really is.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
As 50 is the new 40 just tell the sites in question you are 50+. Nobody will challenge you unless you are one of the lucky ones like my wife who looks 15 years younger than she really is.

How many points will you get for that one evans :ROFLMAO:

Jim
:winky:

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.

You smooth git.......... ::bigsmile: I know what you meen though as mrs ips is 8 years older than me but everyone thinks she is 10 years younger than me..........and its not me that looks old ... :winky:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

Who decideds on 50 being the level? what is the difference between someone who is 50 and someone who is 49 or in our case 42?:Angry:

So shall we have the vote at age of 1? Otherwise its ageist!

Someone somewhere must make a decision on these matters and whatever is decided there will always be someone who just misses the cut.

If any company wants to give help to a particular group it's their choice and who are we to argue?

My granddaughter gets a student card with some very good discounts associated with it. Why should this be so - it's ageist. In my opinion life is very expensive for the young so I have no complaints about the discounts.

Every time you offer something special to a particular group of people them it can be deemed unfair on others.

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
What about the 'Adult only' sites, is it fair that all the best looking sites are 'kid free zones'?

All I can say is I am looking forward to my 50's (about 8 years to go), get some site discounts, saga insurances etc, ALL 3 kids will be of an age where they wont want to travel with us so we can get into the 'Adult only' sites if we need some peace and quiet.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
All I can say is I am looking forward to my 50's (about 8 years to go), get some site discounts, saga insurances etc,

Don't wish it away .. enjoy every day, a discount won't make up for growing old, 50 then 60 will come quicker than you want..

It seems like only yesterday I thought that, now I'm eligible for a bus pass.. :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back