Thinking of buying a V 600 - any one here got one? (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
Hi all

any thoughts on the v series? current model now rebranded as the V600 sport - I'm not ready for brand new yet so looking at a 2015 model. Went to the NEC but they didn't have one! - only the 610 - rear lounge model. SWMBO quite likes finish and i love the look and high roof plus the good size bathroom and plenty of storage . Fridge is a compressor and a bit small at 75l but cant see anything else that could be an issue.

thanks in advance

Steve

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
No, its ond of the Auto-Trail V line series of PVC's

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
I have a v-line 620, it has a rear fixed bed. We have taken out the small front lounge seat and replaced it with storage and freeing up floor space for dogs. I am 6ft 3 and find that the high roof is excellent, no more head scrapping on ceiling. The fridge is quite small but has a freezer compartment. We added an extra 110 ah leisure battery because of compressor fridge.
Nige

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Hi Nige,
Thx for quick response!

Yes, i love the high roof and was thinking a second battery might be a good idea. We are first timers to be and prefer the idea of small sites and britstops etc . I have heard that there have been some issues with window failures, have you experienced this at all? How do you find customer service from AT?

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
We have had no issues with the windows had ours for 18 months now. AT have always been helpful and quick to sort minor issues, far better than Brownhills who sold the van to us. Lin contacted them directly as they could actually answer questions and developed a rapport with colin treacher, who has since retired.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Not been able to work out why Auto-Trail cut the roof off to fit their own on the sport models that's the same height as the extra high Fiat/Peugeot they could have started with

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
We have had no issues with the windows had ours for 18 months now. AT have always been helpful and quick to sort minor issues, far better than Brownhills who sold the van to us. Lin contacted them directly as they could actually answer questions and developed a rapport with colin treacher, who has since retired.
Richard Scotting is your man now. I find him easy to deal with (y)

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Not been able to work out why Auto-Trail cut the roof off to fit their own on the sport models that's the same height as the extra high Fiat/Peugeot they could have started with
Main reasons i believe are to compensate for raising the floor so whole habitation area is level with cab floor; adding the huge opening sunroof; creating underfloor storage and improving insulation due to the double floor, & easy to route all services within the floor & create a step down into the shower cubicle minimising splash out etc ...(y)

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Main reasons i believe are to compensate for raising the floor so whole habitation area is level with cab floor; adding the huge opening sunroof; creating underfloor storage and improving insulation due to the double floor, & easy to route all services within the floor & create a step down into the shower cubicle minimising splash out etc ...(y)
They could have still started with the extra high van though ?
The big sunroof could be an issue though
Have just always thought its a lot of work for the added value
Different vans suit different folk no harm in that:)

Geofff

Free Member
Nov 10, 2016
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Sport 610
Exp
I have a V-Line 610. Have found the dealer to be pretty poor, but phoned Autotrail and they have booked me in for warranty work (+ hab check).
Have had a number of issues with my van - which is 10 months old:
Vehicle battery goes flat overnight - as Sargent panel indicates a draw of 7amps!, Gas hob will not stay alight unless I remove the knob to light it!, TV fell off the wall on first journey - due to the length of the original securing screws (1cm), drawer under cooker fell apart - due to only small staples holding it together (repaired it using wood glue!), step works sometimes and then only comes out half way!, reversing camera completely useless as it gets dirty within a mile or so - even in fine weather! shower area is too small - as the trickle demands that you run around to get wet!
I am hopeful that the above are just teething issues, as the van is perfect for my needs. I have travelled 10,000 miles so far and am looking forward to more trips in southern europe prior to Brexit.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Thx Geoff
From what I have read about motorhomes in general, the V lines included, most suffer some teething troubles of one kind or another but once sorted they are great. I believe the Auto-trail factory aftersales service is excellent unlike many supplying dealers. Glad you are enjoying yours. We are on the cusp of buying a used V600 and if all goes to plan we could be enjoying our first motorome this time next week!

Deleted User
Thx Geoff
From what I have read about motorhomes in general, the V lines included, most suffer some teething troubles of one kind or another but once sorted they are great. I believe the Auto-trail factory aftersales service is excellent unlike many supplying dealers. Glad you are enjoying yours. We are on the cusp of buying a used V600 and if all goes to plan we could be enjoying our first motorome this time next week!
Are you getting an awning? Depending on where and how you intend to use an awning gives a lot more space. We have a drive away air one for longer trips and a set of lilipads to use with the wind out awning for shorter trips. As space is a bit limited in ours, but we do have 3 large dogs...if you don't have dogs, yours will seem like a palace.

Lin :)

Jan 4, 2008
Churston Ferrers Brixham
Funster No
MH
A & c class, now PVC
Exp
Since 2002
We have a 2013 V line 600 sport. We have had it for 10 months, love it to bits. We have two 110 amp leisure batteries
fitted. the fridge although small holds plenty and is very efficient. We have just upgraded to 3850 kg(paper exercise
only) to enable us to fit a tow bar to install a bike rack to carry two heavy electric bikes. We have had several large vans and have gradually down sized to this and are very pleased with it.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
@Lin The V600 comes with a built in awning, so yes, hope to use it a lot. What are lilypads?

@Warty, having a full pre-purchase hab check done & our mobile tech is going to advise on & fit 2 new maintenance free leisure batteries. We hope to use a lot of CL's & farm type Britstops in the UK during our first year so want to be fully self contained. Small Fridge was a concern but we'll be fine I am sure.

Deleted User
@Lin The V600 comes with a built in awning, so yes, hope to use it a lot. What are lilypads?

@Warty, having a full pre-purchase hab check done & our mobile tech is going to advise on & fit 2 new maintenance free leisure batteries. We hope to use a lot of CL's & farm type Britstops in the UK during our first year so want to be fully self contained. Small Fridge was a concern but we'll be fine I am sure.
Lilipads are like windbreaks full height to fit to the wind out awning, making an enclosed space. They are windproof but allow light through, we have a set with waterproof membranes which can be rolled up. There are other similar things available as well.
WP_20151102_14_40_56_Pro.jpg

Not the greatest lookers but good functionality.

WP_20160527_15_35_01_Pro.jpg

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Looks a great idea! Thanks Lin

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
well, we did it - we are now the proud owners of a 12 month old V600 :xgrin:.

we have had 2 great weekends , 1st at the cc site at Hawes, Yorkshire and this weekend was at a CL near Much Wenlock, Shropshire. we have used every aspect of the van, heating, hot water - after buying a spare proper shower head we managed 2 hot showers just 15 mins apart. not been off grid yet and due to other commitments the van is now in storage until January whern we hope to have 2 sealed leisure batteries fitted. the oven was overheating and is booked in for repair with a local NCC workshop/ Thetford approved repair centre under warranty. We did not buy from a dealer so are free to choose where we have our warranty and servicing done :xcool:

Deleted User
well, we did it - we are now the proud owners of a 12 month old V600 :xgrin:.

we have had 2 great weekends , 1st at the cc site at Hawes, Yorkshire and this weekend was at a CL near Much Wenlock, Shropshire. we have used every aspect of the van, heating, hot water - after buying a spare proper shower head we managed 2 hot showers just 15 mins apart. not been off grid yet and due to other commitments the van is now in storage until January whern we hope to have 2 sealed leisure batteries fitted. the oven was overheating and is booked in for repair with a local NCC workshop/ Thetford approved repair centre under warranty. We did not buy from a dealer so are free to choose where we have our warranty and servicing done :xcool:

Hi,

Been away for a while just seen this, congrats on your purchase.

Ref the windows have they been ok? Ours late last year early this year when away in Spain we noticed they were warping and getting oval depressions when it was very sunny.
Contacted Auto Trail and no quibbles replaced the three opening windows.
They confirmed it's a problem are trying to contact everyone to sort the problem out.
Might be worth contacting them to see about having yours changed if you still have the original ones in.

Lin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Hi Lin
Thanks!

Still loving ours but all opening windows have warped and are due to be replaced ... but are you aware that the new design has hardly any tint? Its caused a bit of unrest amongst quite a few fellow Vline owners, myself included as we bought the van for the sleek full tinted look. AT 's latest response to the backlash is to now offer an after market applied tinting film to the new clear window design.

Have you joined the closed vLine owners facebook group? There is also a wonky windows group and a public V line faulty windows group. Tons of info & advice on these groups and very friendly.

Deleted User
Hi Lin
Thanks!

Still loving ours but all opening windows have warped and are due to be replaced ... but are you aware that the new design has hardly any tint? Its caused a bit of unrest amongst quite a few fellow Vline owners, myself included as we bought the van for the sleek full tinted look. AT 's latest response to the backlash is to now offer an after market applied tinting film to the new clear window design.

Have you joined the closed vLine owners facebook group? There is also a wonky windows group and a public V line faulty windows group. Tons of info & advice on these groups and very friendly.

Hi yes our new ones don't have tint in the middle section, we don't mind it, it looks fine, and more importantly they don't warp or flap around when driving at high speeds. Once you get used to them you hardly notice. And to be honest it is soo much brighter in the van now.
We realized fairly quickly even with the original tinted ones, once a light is turned on inside you can see straight in, a few times I popped in for a quick change of clothes before going out at night only to be reminded by Nige you can see straight in lol. Now there's no tint it's automatic I pull up the blinds as it's obvious people can see in:)
With the fly screen up it fairly dark from the outside.

We thought about putting further tint inside, but given that it was the size of the windows combined with them being so dark that caused them to warp we haven't done it as would rather they stayed tight long term.
I think Nige is a member of the vline owners group.
Edit one other plus just remembered, we are going to get some of these lock em out additional window security locks soon. On original windows they were no good as need to be seen to be a deterrent. Now they can be seen, will be adding as was always a small concern when on aires and off grid that idiots not being able to see the locks would simply try to pry the windows open and end up snapping the exterior off the window catches. Especial the more warped they became as they often looked like left ajar.
So on balance the clear middle section has more benefits to us, extra light inside, and visible security deterrent.
Let us know which option you go for. If you get the tint, would be interested to know how it look and performs. Good luck

Lin (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Thanks for your take on the clear window replacements Lin good to know. Hadnt thought about the window locks to be honest but a good point. Which dealer looked after sorting out your replacements? I think some people like the clear but others still want non warping tints. I had to laugh about sering in when the light is on - as my other half did the same :)

I'll let you know how we get on. Thx

Deleted User
Thanks for your take on the clear window replacements Lin good to know. Hadnt thought about the window locks to be honest but a good point. Which dealer looked after sorting out your replacements? I think some people like the clear but others still want non warping tints. I had to laugh about sering in when the light is on - as my other half did the same :)

I'll let you know how we get on. Thx

I sorted them out myself, our dealer is useless. We had some issues with them from the start 2 years ago, I ended up contacting Auto Trail direct to sort out a very simple problem, a missing Kitchen part and since then I go direct to Auto Trail. I refuse to go via my dealer and it wasn't a problem.
Auto trail had us booked in for new windows within weeks of me contacting them. Originally was going to be mid July but I told them it's our only vehicle which is true and unsafe to drive with the windows distorted as a risk of them coming off at high speed, got told to go over 5th June, done in half a day.
I've joined the facebook groups today, thanks for heads up.

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Hi Lin

I saw Nige's post re selling your Vline. Shame that. What will you go for next? Are you still on the vline facebook groups ? Couldnt find your posts.?

Deleted User
Hi Lin

I saw Nige's post re selling your Vline. Shame that. What will you go for next? Are you still on the vline facebook groups ? Couldnt find your posts.?

Hi no they kicked us off lol. Really didn't like us defending the clear windows, accused me of being a plant, for who I have no idea. They kept trying to take my thread off topic going on about the tinted option being better, I politely asked several times if they could allow the thread to be just for feedback from people who actually have clear windows. Next thing I know they have a post of our van for sale ranting about us being a plant. As I was in process of replying to say it was actually our van and one of the reasons the feedback was important so we could tell any potential viewers if the clear fix works long term, they kicked us off. I was really shocked at how childish they were, some off them had a real chip about the clear windows. I wouldn't mind but I only found out about the Wonky window group from speaking to you on here after I had sorted out and already having had ours replaced direct with Auto Trail. I get the distinct impression anyone who's not fully on board with the campaign against auto trail to have dark windows is not welcome, which is a shame as there are many who have them from new and having information from someone who had originals then swapped as our own choice, nothing forced on us by AT to me I would have expected it to be welcomed.

Yes we are looking to sell ours, nothing to do with windows though lol. I have problems with my joints, they are disintegrating, I'm starting to struggle sometimes with the fixed bed. Looking for a similar van but with a lounge at rear, to future proof me being able to use it. It's not something that effects me too much at moment. as long as I take a lot of painkillers, but I was surprised how much worse I'm getting. Given how bad my Mum is with same problems we want to swap sooner rather than later. :)

OP
OP
S
Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
Wow! Sorry to hear that you got kicked off! I feel bad for introducing you now :(

I've been having patchy internet service ( in the new forest) so havent seen everything thats gone on.

Selling your van, i quite understand why you would want to find out as much as possible as to how the clear windows are performing to hopefully ease any concerns a potential buyer may have. I would do the same!

No one really knows yet how the clear or the clear plus film tints will perform long term so we all have to wait and see i suppose.

I hope you & Nige find a suitable van soon and good luck with your joints!

Jan 4, 2008
Churston Ferrers Brixham
Funster No
MH
A & c class, now PVC
Exp
Since 2002
We have a v600 this year in Spain our windows warped but now back in U.K. Our window are back to normal we love the V 600 sport I don't think we would like our dark window changed thats one of the reasons we bought the van every one to their own thoughts though

Donties

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
swindon
Funster No
MH
autotrail vline
Exp
since 1994
Hi no they kicked us off lol. Really didn't like us defending the clear windows, accused me of being a plant, for who I have no idea. They kept trying to take my thread off topic going on about the tinted option being better, I politely asked several times if they could allow the thread to be just for feedback from people who actually have clear windows. Next thing I know they have a post of our van for sale ranting about us being a plant. As I was in process of replying to say it was actually our van and one of the reasons the feedback was important so we could tell any potential viewers if the clear fix works long term, they kicked us off. I was really shocked at how childish they were, some off them had a real chip about the clear windows. I wouldn't mind but I only found out about the Wonky window group from speaking to you on here after I had sorted out and already having had ours replaced direct with Auto Trail. I get the distinct impression anyone who's not fully on board with the campaign against auto trail to have dark windows is not welcome, which is a shame as there are many who have them from new and having information from someone who had originals then swapped as our own choice, nothing forced on us by AT to me I would have expected it to be welcomed.

Yes we are looking to sell ours, nothing to do with windows though lol. I have problems with my joints, they are disintegrating, I'm starting to struggle sometimes with the fixed bed. Looking for a similar van but with a lounge at rear, to future proof me being able to use it. It's not something that effects me too much at moment. as long as I take a lot of painkillers, but I was surprised how much worse I'm getting. Given how bad my Mum is with same problems we want to swap sooner rather than later. :)

Mmm as usual there are 2 sides to a story and the side I witnessed was somewhat different. I saw a very hostile lady dictating her views and who wouldn’t let go of a subject, who deceived the group and was extremely beligerant. My advice would be to move on.

Deleted User
Mmm as usual there are 2 sides to a story and the side I witnessed was somewhat different. I saw a very hostile lady dictating her views and who wouldn’t let go of a subject, who deceived the group and was extremely beligerant. My advice would be to move on.
Really couldn't resist could you. Polite request to keep a thread on topic, you think that dictating, what's the world coming to? and then to come on here and start stalking, sad, so sad. Reinstate the posts on the Wonky windows thread I have nothing to hide, let the world see them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back