Is this motorhome review funny or just awful? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I will never complain about a motorhome review on the Motorhome Channel ( or whatever it's called now) again after watching this tripe. I know it's a few years old now but I only saw it today, and if it's an attempt at humour it's pretty pathetic. I can't see how it could have done Romahome any favours either, although Dom seems to think his "caravan" was actually made by Citroen. Have I missed something or do you guys think this is funny?

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Apparently he's a 'reality tv star'. I think his IMDB pic says all we need to know ...

dom%20joli_zps4wzhq6zz.jpg

Mr Milliemobile

Funster
Sep 9, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2014
Not very funny, hardly informative and raises the question why would you get someone who knows nothing to do a review.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Prick

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Definitely a Prick!!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I will never complain about a motorhome review on the Motorhome Channel ( or whatever it's called now) again after watching this tripe. I know it's a few years old now but I only saw it today, and if it's an attempt at humour it's pretty pathetic. I can't see how it could have done Romahome any favours either, although Dom seems to think his "caravan" was actually made by Citroen. Have I missed something or do you guys think this is funny?

I like Dom Joly. His "livin' on a prayer" is an absolute rock classic. :whistle2:

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I think Dom did 'Livin' in a van' and 'Someday I'll be on Saturday telly' ;)

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
Typical Dom Joly humour, to be taken totally tongue in cheek, if anyone takes this seriously, well, I would be flabaghasted, and it seems some of you have taken this seriously, so my ghast is well and truely flabberd.

Sorry if any of you disagree, but, this does appeal to my sense of humour and I thought it is very funny.

Flook

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Just because I don't find something funny, it doesn't mean it isn't funny.

JJ :cool:

Well JJ that's where you and I differ - if I don't find something funny

Then it is definitely not funny!!!!!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Citroen will not be impressed with his presentation, or any motorhome/caravan dealer too I would guess.
We saw him in the south of France several years ago and outside his Hotel was an Aston Martin super-car. My gut feeling was it belonged to him as it had a UK number plate.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
Well, all that review told me was he knows nothing about motor homes. And now I am still none the wiser about the van.
What a waste of film and time.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Lets face it, the film was made to sell to TV and they never let the facts get in the way of a good story. It will no doubt have been meant to be entertaining to the average telly watcher but of course doesn't take into account those who actually know something about the subject. Remember we're a tiny minority of the population and I never fail to be amazed at the ignorance of non-motorhomers when we get into conversation.

I don't believe everything I read in the newspapers either. I could rant on about lots of things media-related but decided years ago to simply ignore it and have a peaceful life.

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Wow, don't any of you enjoy a good laugh, even at motorhom/caravan swop, the inflection of voice, the constant change between a mh and a caravan, he was perfectly correct with Citroen, the chevrons on the front were a slight give away.

Have any of you seen the now very old John Cleese films on training, totaly hilarious they were. In fact they were about how not to sell goods or how not to go about repairing items and so on. In one sequence, he said with a sharp intake of breath followed by "and who sold you that heap of rubbish", and again with a sharp intake of breathe followed by "how on earth do you expect me to repair that machine when it is still connected to the mains and water supply," in both instancesthese were in relation to a washing machine, also notice the original sharp intake of breath by John before he said these things, this made us trainee engineers belly laugh at the audacity of it.

This is in the very same vein as they were. I am most sure that the supplied vehicle manufacturers may have had the film made to show how not to sell or promote.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I thought it was funny.

The people frothing at the mouth about it have completely missed the point.

If the Sunday Times had wanted a serious review they wouldn't have asked a comedian to do it would they?

They would have used someone from one of the magazines or TV programs who takes themself far too seriously, it would have been highly technical and accurate, very sober and serious and also completely boring.

Lighten up guys (y)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It's okay we're not under attack, it's just someone on the outside wondering what the attraction is.

It wasn't a fantastically well written piece but I don't imagine News International pay much so reader/viewers can't expect too much.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sadly that is what passes for humour today it seems..

Mind you, cannot be all that great.. When was the last time the bloke worked ? Oddly, 2013 when that review was done !

But to be fair, his sense of humour may well be a little errr.. bent ? Given he was born on Beirut !!

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
No sense of humour some people, he is in employment as a double act on radio, so I am told. I agree he can be or act very silly, but the vid was made as a laugh, the same as the older adverts for Nissan! cars were, these being stolen etc and got rid of by various methods including going over a cliff top. A very clever concept in anti marketing, made the sales figures go up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back