Oct 18, 2016
Clitheroe
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - swift
Exp
October 16
Hello,

To introduce myself I’m David 28 from the Northwest. I’ve been day dreaming about buying a camper van / motorhome since returning from traveling around New Zealand nearly 5 years ago but the sensible part of my brain has been lying to me telling me that getting a house and knuckling down with my job is more important. Two weeks ago whilst the sensible part of my brain was otherwise engaged with alcohol my fingers got busy on eBay so I’m now the proud owner of an E reg Fiat Ducato 2.5TD with a Swift / Kon tiki body. As proud as I am it wasn’t until I received the 15 min bid reminder on my phone the morning after that I realised I was still winning or that I had even bid. The auction finished at £3200 which seems reasonably cheap compared to other vans of a similar finish, mileage etc.

The Van – it’s done just over 65k miles, sold with 12 months MOT, advert said a good runner, pictures showed the interior to look much newer than the cab and it also came with a side tent, Fiamma owning and a TV/DVD combo.

After a phone call with the old owner it became apparent that it had failed the MOT and required brake parts that wouldn’t be available for a couple of days but would defiantly be ready for Monday. Monday then changed to Thursday so I booked a day off and caught a lift to Workington with my mum who happened to be going to Carlisle. When I got there I was told that it wasn’t ready and possibly wouldn’t be that day due to a couple of lights not working which could require new switches. Furious I caught the £45 4.5hr train back to my home town and debated if I should still go ahead with the purchase or do my best to mess this idiot around as he’s done with me. The next day I received a message off the seller/idiot saying it was done and at his house ready for a test drive.

I arranged with a friend to give me a lift on Saturday so I could test drive it which went ok, it selected each gear fine and seemed smooth(considering age and engine) when moving but a little rough on idle.

Papers signed and money exchanged.

The first time I tried to go past 30mph was on a 50 or 60 road leaving Workington which is when I realised that it wouldn’t rev properly. Going up the hill out of town it wouldn’t pass 30mph so the train of cars behind me quickly built up so it’s a good job it was also providing a sufficient smoke screen to try and mask my embarrassment.

I pulled over into the first town (Great Clifton) tried to call the guy and cry, after he didn’t answer I tried re-starting it and nothing. The coils light flashed but nothing, not even a clicking from the starter. I tried to pop the bonnet and nothing, it was stuck.

After a few minutes of panic, worry and swearing I called the RAC whom I’m a member of but wasn’t sure if it covered me for a new vehicle or for a camper but I was 120miles and 2.5hrs from home so I couldn’t leave or push it.

The RAC guy turned up in half the expected time quickly showed me how to open the bonnet (1 person push it down to take the weight off the catch and the other pull the leaver) and tested the battery. The battery was fine so he asked me to hold the ignition in the starter position whilst he did some magic under the engine and it fired immediately. Then it was the lack of revs and speed to address, he took it on a quick drive and diagnosed it as a fuel starvation problem. He quickly found out that there was fuel coming out of the pump and into the filter but not out of the other side of the filter housing unit thingy. He by-passed the filter, re-test drove it and damn it was fast or faster than before at least.

After tipping the guy and fuelling up it got me all the way home without fault. Despite the previous owners choice of music being terrible I love the driving position and whole experience. It sat comfortably at 60mph and got up to 75 when overtaking a lorry but felt like it was straining so I came back down to 60-65.

The van is home now but unfortunately doesn’t fit in its purpose built drive way! Argh!!

I’ve planned a few bit of tidying up I can do myself like changing worktops, popup plug sockets and LED lighting but to begin with its just a deep clean and rust repair.

Don’t know if I’ve taken this introduction into too much detail but that’s me and my experience so far. I’m hoping to get info and help on my broken things like why doesn’t anything work on the leisure battery so if you reply be prepared for questions.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l16001.jpg
s-l16004.jpg
s-l16005.jpg
IMG_8195.JPG
IMG_8190.JPG

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hello and welcome. That was a good price I guess. With the enthusiasm you clearly have and a bit of time n effort getting it up to scratch I'm sure you will love it.

You would be best to subscribe at only £15 per year it will be well worth it to be able to make more than 5 free posts :)

Love your post. One of the best introductions yet.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hello,

To introduce myself I’m David 28 from the Northwest. I’ve been day dreaming about buying a camper van / motorhome since returning from traveling around New Zealand nearly 5 years ago but the sensible part of my brain has been lying to me telling me that getting a house and knuckling down with my job is more important. Two weeks ago whilst the sensible part of my brain was otherwise engaged with alcohol my fingers got busy on eBay so I’m now the proud owner of an E reg Fiat Ducato 2.5TD with a Swift / Kon tiki body. As proud as I am it wasn’t until I received the 15 min bid reminder on my phone the morning after that I realised I was still winning or that I had even bid. The auction finished at £3200 which seems reasonably cheap compared to other vans of a similar finish, mileage etc.

The Van – it’s done just over 65k miles, sold with 12 months MOT, advert said a good runner, pictures showed the interior to look much newer than the cab and it also came with a side tent, Fiamma owning and a TV/DVD combo.

After a phone call with the old owner it became apparent that it had failed the MOT and required brake parts that wouldn’t be available for a couple of days but would defiantly be ready for Monday. Monday then changed to Thursday so I booked a day off and caught a lift to Workington with my mum who happened to be going to Carlisle. When I got there I was told that it wasn’t ready and possibly wouldn’t be that day due to a couple of lights not working which could require new switches. Furious I caught the £45 4.5hr train back to my home town and debated if I should still go ahead with the purchase or do my best to mess this idiot around as he’s done with me. The next day I received a message off the seller/idiot saying it was done and at his house ready for a test drive.

I arranged with a friend to give me a lift on Saturday so I could test drive it which went ok, it selected each gear fine and seemed smooth(considering age and engine) when moving but a little rough on idle.

Papers signed and money exchanged.

The first time I tried to go past 30mph was on a 50 or 60 road leaving Workington which is when I realised that it wouldn’t rev properly. Going up the hill out of town it wouldn’t pass 30mph so the train of cars behind me quickly built up so it’s a good job it was also providing a sufficient smoke screen to try and mask my embarrassment.

I pulled over into the first town (Great Clifton) tried to call the guy and cry, after he didn’t answer I tried re-starting it and nothing. The coils light flashed but nothing, not even a clicking from the starter. I tried to pop the bonnet and nothing, it was stuck.

After a few minutes of panic, worry and swearing I called the RAC whom I’m a member of but wasn’t sure if it covered me for a new vehicle or for a camper but I was 120miles and 2.5hrs from home so I couldn’t leave or push it.

The RAC guy turned up in half the expected time quickly showed me how to open the bonnet (1 person push it down to take the weight off the catch and the other pull the leaver) and tested the battery. The battery was fine so he asked me to hold the ignition in the starter position whilst he did some magic under the engine and it fired immediately. Then it was the lack of revs and speed to address, he took it on a quick drive and diagnosed it as a fuel starvation problem. He quickly found out that there was fuel coming out of the pump and into the filter but not out of the other side of the filter housing unit thingy. He by-passed the filter, re-test drove it and damn it was fast or faster than before at least.

After tipping the guy and fuelling up it got me all the way home without fault. Despite the previous owners choice of music being terrible I love the driving position and whole experience. It sat comfortably at 60mph and got up to 75 when overtaking a lorry but felt like it was straining so I came back down to 60-65.

The van is home now but unfortunately doesn’t fit in its purpose built drive way! Argh!!

I’ve planned a few bit of tidying up I can do myself like changing worktops, popup plug sockets and LED lighting but to begin with its just a deep clean and rust repair.

Don’t know if I’ve taken this introduction into too much detail but that’s me and my experience so far. I’m hoping to get info and help on my broken things like why doesn’t anything work on the leisure battery so if you reply be prepared for questions.
View attachment 129428 View attachment 129426 View attachment 129425 View attachment 129427 View attachment 129431 View attachment 129430
You will love it mate, you will be able to use it without worrying about scratching it or anything, and once you get used to it , it's odd faults will just be part of the experience, and you will be able to drill holes in it , screw things to the walls without thinking of the deprecation, brill first motorhome(y):)

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Like what he said above.... I had a ducato once, same shape as yours, Panel Van... great and highly reliable vans.

Enjoy, and buy yourself a damp meter and check that ceiling above your telly at the back there. Might find yourself up there re sealing a few rooflights, but there again might not!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Hello David and welcome to Fun X loved your introduction look forward to more posts from you .

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Hi David brilliant introduction (y)

Sounds a great deal good luck with the future plans.

OP
OP
D

Davidducato

Free Member
Oct 18, 2016
Clitheroe
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - swift
Exp
October 16
Thank you everyone for your replies! I do intend to service the van this weekend, I've managed to find air and fuel filter and 6ltrs of oil for £35! Bargain hunting is a slight hobby of mine ha
I wasn't aware of the 5 message rule so I'll sign up properly tonight

Like what he said above.... I had a ducato once, same shape as yours, Panel Van... great and highly reliable vans.

Enjoy, and buy yourself a damp meter and check that ceiling above your telly at the back there. Might find yourself up there re sealing a few rooflights, but there again might not!
There does look to be some water marking on the roof near the TV but the most alarming part to me is around the door where the wood is spongey to touch and liner has come away form the wood. I've ordered a motohome sealant which I'll be on the roof looking for joints to fill but fear it's too late. What's the procedure if the wood is rotten?

Chaser, depreciation won't be an issue, the finished product will be worth at least 200x as much when I've put my mark on it haha

Thanks again all

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
What's the procedure if the wood is rotten?

Seek expert advice, Best way I think, I am no expert tho, If it was me and I'm ok at dealing with wood and structures etc is to carefully try to take a section of the wall board off using something like one of those vibrating cutters you can get so you reveal the underneath , check for rot, and disintegration and especially mold growth on the timbers and sandwich foam , or whatever insulation there is. Replace carefully bit by bit with new or allow to dry out fully and treat.

Dont takeout whole sides or large panels or any large wood parts as this can compromise the structure of the habitation area. Go Slowly, bit by bit... you need to find out how much rot is there and replace with new. This is something you need to check all over the van as its a very important thing to do. Also check the vans floor for sponginess. There are 2 pack kits you can get to inject into the floor to help with this providing its not too bad.

Use your nose too, in cupboards under sofas etc does it smell of damp?

Disclamer:

I am not a caravan expert, I am a very competent DIYer, and it is something I would tackle myself considering the age of the motorhome. I would however seekout expert advice before undertaking anything I was uncertain about. There are better experts on here than me, so I hope I have offered some ok ish advice!

Oh yes also Subscribe best 15 quid you will spend you only have a few posts left

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
What a great first post. Welcome to the club. You look very happy with your new toy. Here's to many fab trips away in it !

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Hi David and welcome , looks like you got a good deal , fingers crossed on the damp part :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back